Ruger Gp 100, 4inch

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fupuk, Oct 5, 2011.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Just looking to see what this revolver retails for around other parts of the USA. My local shop sells for $599.98 for the stainless steel model and like $540 for the blued model. This will be my first handgun purchase and I know what I want just looking for some insight on my upcoming purchase.. Thanks.

2. swissk31

swissk31 New Member

Here in Hawaii the stainless runs about 560.00 to 580.00.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Sounds about right, stainless, 6" was 560...I'd have paid more for such an awesome gun...you're gonna loooove it!!!!

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Cant Wait

Just got the check in the mail ive been waiting for, now i have to wait for it to clear at my bank and i will be the proud owner of my ruger in about a week, mabye a little more. Then go to the local police station and get the permit to purchase a handgun and I will be all set.

6. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I have the 6" and couldnt be happier with it i shoot it quite often

7. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

I've had this ss 6" since back in the '90s - many camping trips and hikes. Great overnight camping security gun and home defense.

[​IMG]

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

At Jays sporting goods in Clare I saw $550 on a stainless one,the same guns were $480 a year ago.

9. miles_fan

miles_fan New Member

Pricier in my neck of the woods

My GP100 SS 4" was at least $625, but I'm in the Bay Area. Maybe I could've saved a little online with a quick transfer, but I'm okay with spending a little more to support the local shops. Especially when they have good selections, knowledgeable and helpful staff, and exist in a less than gun rights-friendly environment overall here.

Love this gun and expect it'll be handed down to someone someday.

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Just got it today after work now im gonna have to wait a day or two before i take it to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds through it.. Can't wait. And i got a mini vault so the kids can't get into it.

ForumRunner_20111018_191002.jpg

11. miles_fan

miles_fan New Member

same as mine

That's basically my same set up. 4" and a push button gun vault. I added the crimson trace which does NOT help accuracy at the range at all, except for one handed quick drills, which to me seems the closest to might be going on at night in the home if ever needed for that. And I have wood inserts back on it with the CT laser grip. I put my gun vault in a very discreet location in my bedroom and don't really recommend letting the kid(s) even know about it unless they (and their friends) are very mature. The "vault" is secure from tampering with the buttons but could easily be pried apart with some force. If someone made a container that was as accessible as a gun vault and as robust as a real safe, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've fed mine a bunch of different ammo, and would be interested to swap notes with you about what seems to work best if you're interested.

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the 6" version, love it! :D

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yah the vault didn't seem to be a "VAULT" but its more to keep my kids away from the weapon rather than someone looking to steal it. When i went to my local gun store and was looking at something of the same size. The gun vault looked to be the most well built compared to the rest. Yes it was a little bit more price wise but if the extra $70 is what it takes to keep my kids away from the weapon when i am not in my bedroom and be easily available to me when needed. I would have paid more. Now i just need to wait for a little bit and try some of the ammo i purchased and see how i like that. I was in the ammo forums and a guy told me about Georgia Arms ammo, so i bought 1500 rounds and i am gonna see how i like their ammo. I got 500 .357 rounds and 1000 .38special. I've also bought a couple other big name brands from wal-mart and meijers, but only like 100-200 rounds of each. Hope to post a couple pictures of the targets with each different ammo soon. My accuracy might be a little off but that's why im going to the range to practice. This is my first handgun and im sure im not gonna be a marksman right out of the box..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Fupuk, no one is an expert at first. Practice all you can and you will become good. I'm looking forward to pictures of the targets.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Fupuk congratulations on your purchase. the more you practice, the better you will get. when learning what ammo is most accurate in your pistol, you need to take as much human error out of the equation as possible. try a pistol rest if possible. when you then find the most accurate ammo, buy lots of that and then practice with that. have fun with your new pistol and good luck.

16. slickshot223

slickshot223 New Member

GP"s

Sportsman's Den, Shelby,OH--------blued $479--------SS $509!!!:p

17. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I've had the 4" version in blue for several months now. It's a fine piece of work but somebody screwed up when the cut the forcing cone. I couldn't figure why I kept getting leading with 158 and 170 gr LSWC's as my alloy was right, the hardness was good between BHN12-15, I ran pin gauges in the cylinder throats to size my bullets and still got leading. I finally got enough light in the forcing cone area and saw the problem. It's in the process of going back to Ruger. Hopefully, they won't keep it six months.

[​IMG]

18. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

Ruger GP 100 in a 4 inch version

I've seen these here in San Antonio, Texas for a Stainless model at about $575.00 recently. I was extremely lucky and purchased one on-line at a popular weapons auction site for $375.00 and it was in like new condition. I love it. It is my first SA/DA Wheel Gun.

19. oldvet

oldvet New Member

I got my GP-100 4", blued, at a local gun shop for $350.00 used. However, it is in excellent condition and shoots like a dream. It makes a nice CCW carry gun or as a companion to my Rossi 92 in in .357 Mag.

20. optimator

optimator New Member

I also joined the club last weekend. A 6" SS model. It was $559 out the door.