Ruger Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by iloveguns, Dec 29, 2008.

1. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with the 4 5/8 barrel for xmas. This gun is in immaculate condition and as I was able to run the serial number it was made in 1969. Woo hooo. I can't wait to shoot it. My first single action revolver. Hope everyone had a great Christmas.:D

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

You will find the Blackhawk most enjoyable to shoot.

3. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Was my first revolver, VERY accurate. Congrats! Good for you. Enjoy her!

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

That's an outstanding present and a gun you'll enjoy from now on. My nephew's 1st revolver was a Blackhawk at my guidance, and he LOVES it. Side note-you can return your Blackhawk to Ruger for retrofit of transfer bar and they'll send back the original parts along with your retrofitted Blackhawk free of charge.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My old man had a Ruger in .44 magnum. Can't remember if it was the Blackhawk or the Super Blackhawk - So many years ago.

I remember enjoying the hell out of shooting that thing though. It was right about the time I got to see my first Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry movie and while I knew it wasn't the same weapon, it was still a ".44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world today..."

Ah, good memories of a much simpler time. :D

Enjoy your trip to the range - I am a bit jealous...

JD

6. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

By coincidence, I was at the range on Sunday and the man next to me asked about keeping my used 9mm brass. Being how I was just going to sweep it up and give it back to the range for recycling (read reloading and reselling) I didn't mind at all. In exchange he let me shoot 6-rounds with his Blackhawk (circa 1970's, I think he said...dont quote me)

I've never fired a .357 before and I gotta tell ya, although the boom was bigger than that of my Glock, it was some of the most enjoyable 6 rounds I've ever fired. The trigger was as smooth as a newborns buns, and the single action made me savor each round a little more.

Congrats! Even after only test-driving 6 rounds, I know you're going to love your new gift!

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I would advise you to take out and keep your original parts before sending the gun back. Ruger is a little "iffy" about returning all the original parts. And the safety conversion sure leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had three guns with the safety conversion, all of which are now removed. If you want the transfer bar, just trade your gun in for a New Model.

Bob Wright

8. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Updating with a coupld of pics.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

It does appear that the transfer bar conversion has already been installed. Do you have the original parts also?

Bob Wright

10. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

No I don't. This is how it was when I opened it up xmas morning. How do I tell if it has been updated? I took it to the range yesterday and I fell in love shooting it. It shoots really nice. Now I know why I have wanted a single action revolver for so long.:D

11. stalkingbear

The easiest way to tell is when you cock the hammer back, there will be a long flat piece (transfer bar) in between the hammer, and the firing pin. This bar will stay up if trigger is held to rear as hammer is dropped to rest position, but will drop down if trigger is released after pulling to drop hammer from cocked position. The transfer bar is so named because it transfers the energy from hammer to firing pin. That's why it's so much safer-there's no way the revolver will accidentally discharge unless the trigger is held back-thus keeping the transfer bar up.

12. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

That is what I thought. So it would look just like what my Ruger Gp100 has. Thanks, it hasn't had the update yet. Would I be stupid not to get the update?

13. stalkingbear

That's entirely up to you. Would YOU feel safer having had it done? The original design of single action revolvers is the main reason a lot of people carry them with hammer down on an empty chamber. If carried fully loaded in "old" style design with hammer resting on loaded cartridge, and dropped onto hard surface on hammer, it WILL discharge. Personally i like the new style so that I get use of having all 6 chambers loaded instead of 5 as per old style.

14. blackhawk45

blackhawk45 New Member

Be positivley sure the gun is unloaded, and pointed in a safe direction, Now cock the hammer, look where the hammer strikes the fireing pin,do you see a vertical (safety bar),it should be over the fireing pin,If you can see this bar,your Blackhawk,has been retro fitted. enjoy your present . hope this helps.

15. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I've got the 357 blackhawk with the 4 5/8 barrel in stainless. I bought a hammer for a super blackhawk that has a WIDER SPUR and it fits. Nice improvement. I will never sell this gun, it was my first gun purchase when I became old enough in 1978.

16. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Thanks everybody for all the help.:D

17. Tank

Tank New Member

I've had a .41 mag Blackhawk for 21 years, has a 2x scope on it and I reload the ammo. Shoots great, have harvested 3 deer over the years from 40 to 60 yards grave yard dead, made a big "wap" when it hit them.

18. wadcutter

wadcutter New Member

I like my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. It's a fun gun to shoot. Mine has the 9mm convertable cylinder.

19. Tat2thor

Tat2thor New Member

Got this for Christmas......cannot wait to shoot it:D
    [​IMG]

20. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Is that one of their Bisleys?