Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by diggsbakes, Aug 2, 2009.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Just got a Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag "50 years of .44 mag" model. I love my other Ruger single-six for the accuracy and reliability. My only concern is that this new gun is Blued as is my other Ruger. The older Ruger will need touch ups or a complete re-blueing soon.

So... should I go out and shoot/sight in this gun and make it mine? Or wait until a similar stainless and maybe double action Ruger becomes available and leave this one NIB for a trade in?

Sure I could decide for myself, but I love opinions!

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Shoot it. They made too many for them to get "rare" in your lifetime. Mine shoots very nicely. I don't think you will see a duplicate in stainless; they already make a stainless Super.

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It is pointless to own something and not use it... SHOOT IT!

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Ruger made a ton of 50th Anniversary marked revolvers. Shoot it and enjoy it.

5. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Yep think I'll take it out Saturday. I know there's no reason to own something and not use it, "Texas BOY" (Born and raised there myself), but I was considering keeping it new for tade in value in case I found "The One". Like I had passed up 2 weeks earlier.

My thoughts are... I hate having to re-blue a gun. Stainless is maintance free... common sense right?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Mark F

The blue will be fine. My Bisley Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum has seen thousands of rounds, and it still looks and shoots like brand new.

Attached Files:

7. Mark F

As far as trade-in goes, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. First off... no "real" gun-owner cares as long as it's in 95% or better condition. Clean your gun extremely well, oil it properly, and store it away from moisture. You'll get top-dollar for it even if you've shot it thousnds of times.

8. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

I bought a Super Blackhawk(.44 mag) that was made in the mid-eighties, it is blued, still looks good, still shoots good. As does my Blackhawk in .357 that was made in the mid-seventies. So, shoot it and tell us how you do! Single action is fun.

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Your .44BH is not a collector. Take it out and enjoy shooting it as I do with mine. Has taken 3 deer, a few cyotes and other game. Action is slicker than snot, barrel is ported and has 24kt gold fill.

Jim......................

Attached Files:

• 44BK.jpg
      44BK.jpg
      File size:
      60.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  10. R-BOLT

R-BOLT New Member

I have a matched set (SN#'S) the 357 & 44mag with the display case. Factory new condition with paperwork. Will not be shooting mine anytime soon. Just sold my 1967 V700 Moto Guzzi to finance the purchase of the 2009 anni super blackhawk and a 1 of 500 357. Any one out there with NIB looking to sale?

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

UPDATE: Shot it today and while sighting in at 10 yards I had to raise elevation quite a bit. Then while shooting the rear sight came loose and the screw had to be threaded back through the hole. At 25 yards all six were always on paper, but spread out with in about a 12" diameter. I expected better as my single six is dead on at 25 yards. Are my expectations too high? I wanted this gun for the accuracy.

Any help is appreciated.

12. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

I don't know dude, my SuperBlackhawk, off a rest, shoots 8" groups @ 50yds. And I ain't good with a pistol, though I do love a S/A revolver.

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

It should shoot more like this. Your Blackhawk, in the right hands and with good ammo will shoot very accurately.

Jim..................

Attached Files:

• SBH.jpg
      SBH.jpg
      File size:
      56.4 KB
      Views:
  14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If you post some photos of your targets, we could advise you on what you are doing wrong and give you tips on how to correct your shooting..

Jim.............

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Next time I go out I'll take pictures. I wasn't shooting from a rest at 25 yards. I was standing and using PMC ammo. One other problem I can figure is that my hands are large and my little finger has to rest under the grips. This is slightly uncomfortable and I wonder if just need new grips.

I was shooting exceptionally well with my pistols today and was really bummed that the Ruger didn't work out. I just can't figure out why the groups started so low and I basically ran out of sight adjustment. I just joined the forums so I will be able to post some pics soon.

16. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If you don't shoot big bore magnums often, you will find that you pushing are pushing your shots low by anticipating recoil. It is a habit that can easily be corrected with practice. Will look forward to photos to be more able to help.

Jim................

17. Mark F

This is what my .44 Mag does at 25 yards.

Attached Files:

18. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Ok, i can see that at a "bench rest" position. But if this gun is put to use it won't be from a bench rest. I did not have a rest so I used a "dry box" from Cabelas for a rest thinking I could get consistent groups, which I did to a point .(its just a handgun right? )

After reading into this concern it has come to my attention that some Rugers require filing of the front sight, to raise elevation beyond what the standard rear sight adjustment allows.

This would make sense as I DEFINATELY did not over-compensate for anticipated recoil. Matter of fact... the recoil was much less than anticipated and easily managable.

I do not shoot much big-bore revolvers (until now) but have heard that I might have an unrealistic expectation from this gun. I will get a pistol/revolver rest for the next time I go out, but I know the gun was shooting LOW, more so than the rear sight would allow for adjustment.

I might take it in to the gunsmith where I bought it. The range is about 35 miles from home so I only go about every 2 weeks or so.

Also the grips are too small for my hands. Only reach about 3/4 down my palm. What aftermarket grips fit the 50th anniversary Blackhawk.

Thanks for all your input and expertise. Ya'll are good help.
    D

19. Mark F

Hogue makes a nice soft rubber monogrip for your Super Blackhawk. It will provide you with more grip to hold on to.

DO NOT file down your front sight! Change your aiming technique...

20. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

There is not much on the market grip wise to address your problem. That is the "new" XR3 grip frame, with lock. I wish it was the XR3 RED grip because that is more comfortable for me with hot loads. I don't like the dragoon grip on the Super Blackhawk, but if your hands are that large that may be what you need.
    What weight bullets are you shooting? My 50th 44 is right on target with very little elevation cranked in with 240 grain Magnums.