Ruger American Rimfire has a new 10/22 bolt action model!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Bigcountry02, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow, this is awesome! I'd love one of these. Right now I've got a tricked out 10/22 for my rimfire target rifle, but I'd much prefer a bolt action and would rather not have to get all new magazines for, say, a Marlin or something.

The Ruger site shows that the American Rimfire rifle is tapped for Weaver #12 bases. I was kind of hoping this is the exact type of holes found on the 10/22 receiver. That is unclear.

When I look up the 10/22 on the Ruger site, it doesn't say what sort of holes are tapped.

When I look up Weaver #12 bases on MidwayUSA, the no Ruger rifle is included on the list of supported models. Neither the American for the 10/22.

Any ideas?

3. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Very nice.
    I would prefer a wood stock.
    I like the adjustable trigger.

4. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I actually did buy one of these. I bought the standard model with a 22" barrel for $280 at my LGS. If I were to suggest to a future buyer, I'd suggest buying the compact model with the 18" barrel and then buying an extra set of the standard stocks for the longer length of pull.

I haven't shot it yet, but the trigger is amazingly crisp and the bolt is smooth enough for that price range.

I went ahead and bought a pair of Weaver #12 bases and they fit great! I put on top of those some Warne rings and a Mueller 4.5-14x scope. They are definitely NOT the same bases that would fit on a 10/22, FYI.

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I am one the worlds biggest ruger fanboys. The offerings from Savage and Marlin are more accurate than most shooters. Shooting unsupported they are more accurate than 99.9% of the people that enjoy shooting. Both Savage and Marlin have several models with all the bells and whistles for under $250. Ruger really has to step up it's game for me to pay that price, especially if the rifles are made at the Prescott plant.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

The LGS had them on sale for $279.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I always like the wood more too. It burns me up that my best shooting 22 (AMT Lightning 25/22) has this but ugly poly stock.:mad: I really need ot change that. Dang good rifle tho.;)

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm interested in accuracy. I have a 77/22 and have heard that their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. (Mine included) To be honest, I would be inclined to try Marlin. I hear so many people saying good things about them. I was always under the impression that Marlin was a cheap starter gun.

9. kaido

kaido New Member

I don't view them as cheap so much as I do "cheap". I naught my girlfriend one about two years ago (XT-22R) and it's been great. With a fixed 4x scope me and her have been able to hit gophers out to around 80-100 yards with no issues. At 25-50 yards you basically just point the gun in the general direction and it'll hit what you want. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I think it was right around the $300.xx mark.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Not sure why all the hype over another ruger. Too many very rifles out there already inn the same price range or lower. I pass it up as there high dollar ruger bolt rifle is not in the class c\as compairable priced rifles ether. Savage, marlin , and cz have the field covered all ready.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

What was wrong with the 77/22? These look terrible with the iron sights.

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

It is more expensive than most other bolt action .22's. I think the American Rimfire is Ruger getting into the budget bolt .22

13. mag318

mag318 Member

These are really nice rifles and have to be handled to be appreciated. First time I saw a photo of one I thought it looked rather cheap. Once in hand though the look, feel and quality is very good. I'm just waiting for my dealer to get a shipment in.

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Therein lies the problem. They are very nice. The fit & finish is NICE. I even like the "boat paddle" synthetic stock mine has. Honestly, I think it's the best one ever made. However, if it can't hit $hit, what's the point? CZ has a far better reputation for doing that, at a much lower price point, and the F&F is very good.

Wait one. The trigger on the 77/22 SUCKS. When it was the only one I had, I heard people say that and didn't know what they meant. Then I got a couple other BA rim fires. Oh. THAT's what they meant. It does suck.

There is a guy out there who is excellent at tuning & tweaking the 77/22. He can make it shoot right, etc. Eventually some day, mine will go there. When I get some extra cash.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I def. want to pick up at least one, if not one in each caliber, since the price is right.

16. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

I was looking at at least one in 22 wmr. I already have a selection of 22lr. It would be much more economical than the 10/22 magnum that I have been planning on building. :)

17. DrFootball

I would be ok with a 10/22 magnum, but so far they have not made that many...hard to find one.

18. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Ruger stopped making them after about a year or two. Problems with the bolt weight breaking. VERY expensive used gun. Never seen one under $6-700.

What I'm talking about is a full custom on the razor reciever and razors bolt system(~$280 for reciever and bolt). Still a $500 22mag with some shop time to get it. I've built a couple of their 22lr recievers. Not too terrible, fair amount of machine shop time to finish. Still a high price for a 22mag. ;) The ruger American would be much less expensive!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  19. hogmaw

hogmaw New Member

Howdy,
    I picked the 22"barrel model in .22lr. I added a 3X9 Tasco Mag 22 scope. It can shoot within a 1/2" hole at 50 yards. I bought mine at Academy for $269. I am happy with the rifle but one turtle in my pond isnt too happy with the results. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. DrFootball

How much was the scope?