Ruger American or Rem 783

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by okieboy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

So I 'm going to get my first deer rifle for Christmas. Im debating between the two listed above, however another suggestion in a similar price range would be great. I'm planning on getting a Vortex Diamondback scope 4-12 to put on it

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

As far as I know they should be about the same, you'll need to hold them both and see what feels better.

3. joshman88

joshman88 New Member

I would add the savage axis to your list as well.

4. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

You can't go wrong with either. I have the 783 in .270, let my adult son use it for deer hunting this year. While sighting in he was amazed at both the trigger and accuracy. I shot a 3/8" group with it at 100 yds

I settled on the 783 because the magazine is not plastic and had a more positive fit to the rifle plus overall seemed a more stout rifle for the field

Good luck on your decision and enjoy

5. bobbywy

bobbywy New Member

I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308 and love it. I have felt the 783 and it feels good. I have several 700 and they are great. So, either would be a good choice I think.

6. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I picked up a 783 7mm mag yesterday, simple gun that seems to be built well. Only issue is mounting the scope but you should be fine with the standard Remington mounts for the vortex

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I dont know where you are hunting but a 4-12X seems like overkill for a deer rifle. A 2-7X would be a lot more versatile especially if you may have close in shots.

8. okieboy

okieboy New Member

It is a little overkill, but I also want to have it available for other long range applications. Plus the friend who's taking me to TN to hunt says a 4-12 would be thebest. I was thinking 2-7 or 3-9. But he knows the area best and who am I to argue with an upgrade in scope :)

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I dig the American. Nikon 3x9.

Attached Files:

10. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I think I'm leaning toward the American simply because it's a touch lighter and it comes with scope mounts included. The 783 does not.

11. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd take a look at the Marlin X7. I've never shot one, but I've held one and they feel solid. I've only heard good things about them.

12. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I would check these out, I have heard good things.

Also of the previously mentioned rifles I preferred the safety and trigger on the American. I would suggest cycling the bolt and handling them if you can, before you buy.

13. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I can and have. I'll see if I can find a marlin to fondle but I think the American is where I'm going. Now should I use 130 or 150 grain amoo?

14. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I think the Ruger is the way to go. Remington doesn't really have a good track record when it comes to other than model 700 bolt action rifles. I recently bought a T/C Venture 30-06 but the American was on my short list, polymer magazine and all.

15. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I use 180. Always sight with whatever you're going to hunt with

16. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I zeroed mine on 150 grain, if I took out 130 it shoots high so you know what works for ya. I shot two different types of 150 grain. Big difference in how it likes it

17. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Ordered a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 yesterday. Should have it next week.

18. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Let us know how you like it, I might order a cross fire ii...