Ruger American in .270

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by RobotPuncher, Aug 4, 2013.

1. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Curious to hear about the performance/abilities of the .270?(kind of a small bullet) I seen a Ruger American in .270 for around $300. I'm new to high caliber rifles, so would this be an ok first rifle?

2. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

For sure that would be a great first rifle, 270 is a good caliber and its easy to find right now.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Dam$ skippy it would be an excellent, first, last or in between caliber. I have a .270 Win. in my safe and it exists to fill freezers with venison.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the 270 is an excellent caliber. hard hitting and plenty accurate. works on many different sized game when used with the proper ammo.

the Ruger American is getting some great reviews and at $300, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

5. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Yeah that's about the only round I've been seeing on the shelves other than shotgun shells, and that's what kind of worried me because all the "popular" calibers fly off the shelves! Thanks for the input!

6. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Well alrighty then! I guess the .270 Winchester is going to be my first! Thank you for responding.

7. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Yeah! I just looked some FPS and It has some pretty hot loads! The price was almost to good to be true, I thought id check with you guys first before buying it! Thank you for the info!

8. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Oh I almost forgot, this rifle doesn't come with a scope. I heard that the Nikon Buckmaster was a good scope? I don't plan on shooting at any crazy ranges, mostly likely straying between 150-400 yards.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Nikon makes pretty decent scopes. i have used them in the past with good results.

10. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

I'm willing to pay for a quality scope, $200 would be in my budget.

11. thatonespot

thatonespot New Member

One of the redfield revenge models.
    Pick your poison from 32mm up to 52mm with 3x9 scopes up to 4x12s

Got one of the "intermediate" ones on my hunting rifle, great scopes!

12. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

Ill have to check em' out thanks!

13. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Stay in the Redfield Revolution sub- brand if you can, these are made in the USA. I have a Revolution on one of my rifles.

Leupold acquired the Redfield marketing rights a few years ago, either Rampage or Revolution should work well.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

270 is one of the best. a 3-9x40 will get you where you need to be and be the best value in scopes.

15. longunner

longunner New Member

I've been looking at a Ruger American in 270 as well. Let us know how you like it when you get to shoot it

16. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

My 270 Savage is a killer. A couple of points. During the last ammunition run, I never, ever, walked into the gun store looking for 270 and came out empty handed. Almost every other type of ammo, excepting shotgun, was gone. Always found a box or two of 270. I use a Nikon ProStaff. Excellent scope for my shooting up to about 300 yards. That's my limit.

17. longunner

longunner New Member

That's the exact reason I want to get one. I have been able to find .308 and .223 online, but all I can find locally is .270

18. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My Remington 700 ADL in .270 has a Burris FFII scope and its a awesome deerslaying combo. I think you are going to love your .270.

19. RobotPuncher

RobotPuncher New Member

I'll be sure to post an update! Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciate.

20. Partridge02

Partridge02 Member

Any update on the American?