Ruger American First Impressions

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Underdog, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Underdog

Underdog Member

Ordered a Ruger American compact .22lr last week and picked it up yesterday. This is a very nicely crafted rifle with a beautiful finish on it. I took it all apart and cleaned and inspected it, it's a very well built machine. I mounted some weaver #12 bases and mounted a scope and headed out to test it. I ran 75 rounds of varying brand of 22 through it without one problem. The rifle seems very accurate and the bolt is smoothing out nicely. I don't shoot paper targets but was hitting 3" and 4" metal targets at 160 yds. The trigger right out of the box is superb, very light and crisp and breaks very clean. I think Ruger has a real winner on it's hands. Anyone else have one? what's your thoughts?

2. Volfan111

Volfan111 New Member

I have the 22mag and I really like it. Wish it had a Hogue stock on it. Just don't like the feel of the plastic. It is very accurate though.

3. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I bought the 30-06 version late last year. I haven't fired it a lot. But It shoots pretty straight. I mounted a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff with BDC retical.
    Did I mention that I like it!?

4. Underdog

Underdog Member

I like the synthetic stock on this rifle. Ruger did a good job designing it and it fits me very well. I have about 300 rounds fired out of it now and it is shooting great. What really shines on the rifle is the trigger, all rifles should have a trigger like this from the factory.

5. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I shot the full size 22LR at my range, one of the many 22's they rent with 50 round on the house and you can shoot your only ammo for as long as you want for the $10 rental fee...until some one asks for a turn that is!!
    I liked it very much! It was smooth and jammed not one time in 200 Rounds of different speed/weight of bullets all inside of 2" at 25 yards, and trust me with my bad shoulders and back gaining me tremors after an hour,..so that's a good rifle right there!! I esp Loved the modular stocks,..and any stock extension will work on either model,...I'm glad they put that stock on the 50 th Anniversary10/22, even though the MSRP is a bit steep at $379.95,...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

6. Partridge02

Partridge02 Member

What kind of accuracy are you able to wring out of it? I'm thinking about picking up the compact version. I noticed the stock felt better than my american centerfire. Congratulations on the new rifle.

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

Been looking at one, either 270 or 308. Not too crazy about the detailing on the composite stock, but if it shoots well, I can learn to live with it.

8. Underdog

Underdog Member

I have the compact one and it's not a target rifle, and I'm no marksman. But I can hit 3" metal targets at 150 yards no problem. I use a scope 3-9x40 bushnell with weaver #12 mounts. The compact stock fits me very well and I like the short barrel. It's a working mans gun that shoots very well. I like it so much I ordered one in 22mag as well.

9. Underdog

Underdog Member

Back at the range today testing out different ammo. This rifle loves remington thunderbolts, it shoots it very well. Also ordered a set of tech sights and taking off the scope. I much prefer open sights over a scope.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Wow. That's interesting. What else have you fed it?

11. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

One of my daughters went with me to the NEW Bass Pro Shop in Anchorage and is looking at the Ruger American in .243 as recomended by the counter man as she wants the smallest "kick" to bring down game. She's a good shot with a .22, but HATES my -06. She's a small woman maybe 110lbs. The Ruger American at Bass Pro is $429 in .243, $32? in the compact. but she needs the extra lenth of pull of the standard, go figure.
    Art Sr.

12. Underdog

Underdog Member

I've tried
    Federal bulk 36gr
    Blazer 36 & 40gr
    Winchester super X 40gr
    Remington cyclone 36gr
    Federal auto match ?gr
    CCI mini mags 40gr
    Remington thunder bolts 40gr
    It likes the thunder bolts the best and the auto match the worst. All ammo that I tried functioned perfectly in the RAR. I still have Remington golden bullets 36gr to try but I don't have my hopes up for them.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The 25/06 is bad news if you reload. My neighbors wife has a 25/06. She has put several bucks on the wall with the 25/06. It has good range and capable of handling medium size game at close range. Factory ammo is not loaded to get the best out of the 25/06. Even with hot reloads the 25/06 doesn't have much recoil. I have shot her rifle quite a bit. My nose is nearly touching my thumb and my forehead is awfully close to the scope. I haven't got a scratch or injuries shooting the 25/06 with a miniature stock.

14. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry my abbreviation didn't come out correct as MY rifle is a 30-06 and its an old 721 Rem. If it's not held tight it can bruise you.
    Art Sr.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My wife wants either the compact American or the Henry lever in 22. My chore is to get her a Good optic. The Nikon P22 BDC looks like a quality scope, and most of our Photographic stuff is Nikon or Fuji with a Nikon Chip,...or for a bit less, the BSA Sweet 22 looks good,... Might get one of each!!

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk