Ruger 77/22 bolt action

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by clr8ter, Feb 13, 2011.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, does anyone own one? A search here turned up nothing. The 3 guys at the local gun shop never heard of it. I brought it down there, and they were all impressed. It uses the same magazine as the 10/22. Mine is the 22LR, I have the all-weather version with composite stock. Nice gun, but I wish it came in a left-handed version.....and I should have bought it in 22WMR.....

Interested in anyones thoughts.....

2. agrotom

agrotom New Member

I have had a 77/22 for a few years and love it. It's a great gun to train you for hunting, just put a scope on it and it's like shooting you hunting rifle.

3. 1911guy

1911guy New Member

77/22

I have had a model 77 for 20 years. It is the best shooting 22 I own. It is beat up and runs like a race car. I turn down offers for it every time it goes to the range with me.
    Tim

4. Stryker41

Stryker41 New Member

Ruger 77/22

Ive had mine for 16yrs+ now, love it. My brother bought me a sear kit for it and I love it even more! Wife even likes to plink with it when we go up to the land to camp and have campfires. She can put 9-10 rounds through the little "0" in a diet pepsi can at 40yards.

5. remi514

remi514 New Member

Great gun i have the same exact model except in .22 mag its another fine ruger firearm i use mine for woodchucks and the ocassional coyote:D

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Hmmmm, not many replies....confirms my theory they don't sell many.

When you guys take the thing apart, did anyone notice the instructions are wrong about how to remove the safety? (Or something around there) Also, has anyone taken the mag catch apart? I did, and the pin holding the 2 parts together was bent. Turns out the 4 holes that maybe should line up, don't.

I do like the gun, plan on shooting it more this summer. The other thing is it looks kinda dumb, being the all weather version, with a black scope. I was told at time of purchase, no one made a silver scope, unless maybe if you spent a ton of money.....

7. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

post a pic of this rifle........my younger brother purchased one @ the same time that i was purchasing this one:

[​IMG]

his was a bolt action M77/22, with a greyish colored finish. kinda looked like a heat-shrunk plastic if you didn't get to look @ it up close.

BUT both his and my rifle were bought in 2001.

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

awesome little rifle, use to drive tacks with it @ 50yds, loved about ALL ammo.

9. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I have only fired one, several years ago and it was a very slick rifle. I couldn't justify the cost for a rimfire and for my purposes, though.

As far as finding a scope to match the finish, nearly everyone makes a silver finish scope from Barska to Leupold. I put a Muelleur APV on a .17M2 converted 10/22 I did for my dad. The finish is a very close match and the scope seems to be reliable, clear and a good value for the price.

10. remi514

remi514 New Member

I bought mine used for $350 at gander mtn came with a leupold 2-7x32 scope, sorry about my "leupold" spelling not sure how to spell it.

11. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I have since seen them with silver scopes. The guy I bought it from was a dick, and no longer in business....I wonder why......

12. Stryker41

Stryker41 New Member

I haven't taken the mag catch appart, so I couldn't say. I don't remember having to do anything with the safety when I replaced the seer (sp?) about the only thing I normally take apart is the bolt. And that is about once a year or so to clean, so the firing pin doesn't hang up in cold weather.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

In the manual, it tells you how to take the gun down pretty far. Nothing with the trigger, or the actual bolt, if I remember, but all the the major components....

14. headhunter

headhunter Member

Although the magazines for a 10-22 will usually work with a 77-22 they are not the same. You can check your manual or just put a magazine from each on a flat surface and observe them. The 77-22 magazine have a flat base while the 10-22 magazines are rounded.. Having two 77-22s in the family I just had to try the 10-22 magazines. The correct flat magazines work a lot smoother.
    Really good rifles-have fun!

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'll be damned...You're right. Well, the gun shop didn't know anything about the 77/22, so when I asked for the mags, they ended up ordering the ones for the 10/22. I'll just try one and see how it works........I don't see the point in making them that slightly different, though.

16. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

These both belong to my wife!:D She has more guns than I have! Ron [​IMG]