Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I haven't seen one for over thirty years, good for you.

Reactions: glockman55

·
Registered
630 Posts
Looks really good! Nice find. I think they were originally intended for 240 grain jacketed ammo...could be wrong on that. I have also heard that one should avoid cast lead in them.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've had several over the years. Ruger made two versions; one with a rotary magazine and one with a tube magazine. In my opinion they are best suited to plinking duty. I ended up getting rid of mine in favor of a Henry lever action.

·
Supporting Member
11,786 Posts
Very nice!
Just curious where in the world did you find that little Gem?:)
They are few and far between!
To me there is just something about the guns made back in the 70s and earlier.
Most including my Marlin 336C has great wood and finish. And most smooth actions.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice!
Just curious where in the world did you find that little Gem?:)
They are few and far between!
To me there is just something about the guns made back in the 70s and earlier.
Most including my Marlin 336C has great wood and finish. And most smooth actions.
I found it through a friend.. been looking for a while.. this was born in 1977.. and it wasn't cheap. any guesses on $$

·
Supporting Member
11,786 Posts

$450-550?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I had one of the original "Deerfield" tube fed Ruger 44 carbine's. It was a good gun, and dead deer accurate all day long.
I sold it to a friend that hunts in the thick woods of east Texas, and he loves that rifle.
I liked those better, had the Mini-14 style action as opposed to the 10/22 style action.

I found it through a friend.. been looking for a while.. this was born in 1977.. and it wasn't cheap. any guesses on $$
Last one I sold about 5 years ago I sold for $650. I'd guess you paid in the $750 range

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I sold mine for $650, but it was a real close friend and I rarely ever shot it.
In today's market, I could see a nice one going for $850-900 if it's a tube fed model.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
My understanding is that ones in good condition are going for around $800-1000 around here in Maine- maybe there’s more demand here because 44 mag does well on deer in the thick woods we have. Also could be used for bear over bait- though I’d prefer a lever gun or revolver for that- because I can use heavy hard cast bullets.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had a chance several years ago to buy one with the rotary magazine and let it slip though my fingers. I still regret that. Nice find!

·
Supporting Member
11,786 Posts
I did see one for sale this week if I remember? On Guns America for $499. Looked in good shape by the pictures.
God, I do not need another gun!:p So pretending I did not see it and my dementia is trying to forget where I saw it!:rolleyes:

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did see one for sale this week if I remember? On Guns America for $499. Looked in good shape by the pictures.
God, I do not need another gun!:p So pretending I did not see it and my dementia is trying to forget where I saw it!:rolleyes:

I just searched there..I found that one on there.. pretty rough shape,,

·
Supporting Member
11,786 Posts
Yes it does look a little rough but I figured for $499 and with a little work and TLC it could look real decent.
Especially of we are talking in the $650+ range for one.
Yours is very NICE!:D

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Buddy got a clean standard, for 750 this yr.
Pops has a fingergroove (sporter) from '66 that's minty.
I shot a deer with it when my state first allowed PCR

Reactions: glockman55
1 - 20 of 35 Posts