Ruger .44 Carbine

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Winchester94, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I just got done shooting this beautiful gun for the first time. It was one my grandpa took on hunting trips as a backup to his .30-30. I re-zeroed the scope and ran a couple of boxes its shells through it. That gun feels great and is very accurate!
    Anyone else have experience with this awesome gun?

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i started to buy one years ago, but just never did for some reason or other. seems like other guns i wanted more seemed to take priority.

they seemed like a handy little rifle and as long as you kept reasonable distances when using them they would probably work fine for hunting.

like to see a range report on one and see how accurate they are.

looks like yours is in pretty good shape too.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i picked up a really nice one for cheap at a gunshow guy said it wasnt working. all it needed was a good cleaning. grouping is about 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yards. perfectly adequate for deer hunting. i could prolly get the groups tighter if i worked up loads for it.

4. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These are really fine carbines. Too bad they are no longer made.:)

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I love shooting it. I mostly shot at 60 yards but I threw a couple at 100 and it still did pretty good. I need to dial it in a little better, but it shot pretty good groups.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

they are really complicated on th internals and kinda not easy to field strip but they are prolly the best pistol caliber carbines out there

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Back in the 1970s I carried a Ruger .44 Carbine in the "Freeze Out" Mtn. Range of Wyoming. The little carbine accounted for deer and black bear as well as just fun shooting.;)

8. hmh

hmh New Member

Wasn't it the gun that the 10/22 was suppose to be the trainer for.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Never heard that story? The .44 was available long before the 10/22. I think it was a handy design that also made a nice .22 rifle. :)

10. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've only ever carried a .30-30 or muzzle loader to hunt with. How is the .44 Magnum as a brush gun cartridge?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wish someone would make a nice quality compact 44mag semi auto like the ruger 44

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Ruger makes a bolt action carbine in both .357 and .44 right now:

image-141472843.jpg

This is a screenshot from the Ruger website. Almost bought one last summer, went a different direction but it's still on my radar

13. LeMat

LeMat New Member

I have its little brother, the 96/44. My favorite rifle. They are a wonderful brush gun.

14. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I was curious how a pistol cartridge in a semiautomatic rifle would bust through brush.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Nice gun. I wouldn't buy one, though. Ammo is way too expensive to be running through a rifle.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a brush gun becaue its short and lightweight making it easy to move through brush. not because it shoots through brush :)

not really interested in a bolt gun pistol cartridge. i would go lever gun before going boltaction in those calibers

its for hunting and i reload just for that reason.

17. Salvo

Salvo New Member

Bolt guns are generally more accurate than lever guns and are easier to maintain than autos.

If I was going to shoot pistol cartridges through a rifle, my first choice would be a bolt gun. - But that's just me.

My brother once owned a Ruger 44 auto carbine as the original poster has, and he had very good luck with that rifle. Ruger really ought to re-introduce that model, it was a winner.

I see them at gun shows every once in a while, and they apparently hold their value very well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  18. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

19. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bought one at the PX at Ft. Wainwright AK eons ago. Nifty little gun. To the OP- be sure to fed your carbine semi jacketed bullets. The action does not like cast lead bullets.

20. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I only shot soft points through it. But thanks for warning me before I try it. :)