Ruger .44 "Assault" rifle

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by txpossum, Mar 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I have of the original Ruger .44 magnum carbine, the" Deerstalker" and aside from using it for hunting, I think it would be a gun gun for peace officers, and has tremendous military possibilities as well, for mop-up operations, house to house fighting, and close range combat.

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I agree, but why bother trying to talk sense to a bunch

of folks who are all M4-ed up? After all, WTF do we know?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I had read an article on some "non-conventional" (non-issue) weapons used in Vietnam. One of the rifles mentioned was a .44 lever action. Another was a .30-30.

I could see the Deerstalker as a good improvised option. Capacity, reloads, and rimmed rounds may not be considered optimal for combat, but still could be serviceable.

4. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Oh darn. I was hoping that some of the "gotta be an AR-15" crowd would jump in and tell me what an idiot I was. Then I would say, " Oh. I did't say it -- I was quoting Elmer Keith.

Came across a couple of gun mags from 1961 called "Guns Quarterly".

5. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

Couldn't agree more and heres mine

[​IMG]

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

An AR may be more "State of the art". But, I wouldn't count out the capability of many a hunting carbine to handle "civil" duties. I remember when a few cops would keep a lever gun, or bolt gun in a patrol car along with a shotgun.

I played around with a red dot on a Marlin 336 on multiple targets at intermediate range (inside of 50 yds) on a range trip one day. My buddy laughed when I pulled the rifle out of the case. After the first pass, he was bugging me to give it a try. He said, "Man, I never would have thought a lever action could be THAT handy for a combat drill."

Had to remind him that the old Henry rifle got its biggest boost from use in the war between the states.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, in a situation that calls for it, an AR would be my first choice but I wouldnt feel handicapped with an old Mauser or Enfield

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think the lever action can lay claim to the being an "assault rifle" before the AR came along!

i own an AR, but, there are many rifles that can be just as capable in the right hands.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Wow! She is still pretty. That was the only gun I had in 44Mag. Sold it in the 90's during a fit of stupidity to raise money to move from one lousy basement apt. To a nicer one about a mile away.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

As a side note: Ruger does not make that model any more and does not plan to re-introduce it. (I asked, and that is what they told me.)

I would shoot that sparingly. Which means, I would get a different firearm today. Maybe one that parts are readily available, should something break.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, among many Models they do not produce any longer, but you can't have it all, right? They made a Carbine in handgun caliber, too bad they can't make a Mini in 9MM, esp. Since that design has proven itself reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I can't understand why they discontinued this model either, as almost everything I have heard about it is very positive, backed up by my experience shooting mine.

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

Until recently, I hadn't seen a Ruger 44mag auto or lever gun for years. They're starting to show up at gun shows around here. Prices? Guess it depends how bad you want one. Doubt seriously the military would ever adopt something like the Ruger, even if it was still in production. A whole new platform requiring armorers, parts and ammo. The Army had a tough enough time getting back up to speed with the M-14 when soldiers started taking them to Iraq.

14. Mercator

Mercator New Member

I've read that some PD's have adopted the Beretta CX4. I think its "tactical" ergonomics and the commonality of caliber are among the reasons. The 44 Mag round is more expensive, and may be considered simply too much for the purpose.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Interesting. Which PDs? The only solid reference I have heard about this gun being issued is that the Indian Army, (or police, I can't remember), bought a whole bunch. But that was the MX4 version, the fully automatic one. If a PD already was issued Berettas, it would make sense, though. Assuming they had the money, it's not a cheap gun.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Pistol caliber carbines have range problems in combat. It is a war. People are a threat from all ranges. I don't think I could send a squad of men to clear a building with a rifle that doesn't have a 300 yard range. The slow heavy cartridge would be ineffective if the men got into something unplanned.

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Not sure what kind of urban combat would present ranges of 900 feet. Aren't certain groups issued things like the H&K MP5 all the time?

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Penetration of the .44 Magnum is hefty. Devastating at close range.

But this can be a two edged sword in urban environments.

It would not surprise me that the .44 Magnum has been considered

and rejected, by LE, at least, because of the extreme penetration.

Do a range test, using wood or other solid targets, and compare the 44 Mag

to other rounds.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Maybe a PDW style weapon chambered in .460 Rowland... that would make an excellent house clearing and urban warfare weapon.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Albany Co NY Sheriffs Dept, William and Mary Campus PD. Source:Beretta USA. Also St Louis MO PD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.