Ruger 380 LCP

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by LaineC, Feb 22, 2012.

1. LaineC

LaineC New Member

Anybody have any issues w/ the Ruger LCP 380?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I looked at them yesterday. The LGS had a KelTec P-3AT there for comparison. The slide felt "gritty" on the Ruger. I walked out with the Kel-Tec.

3. LaineC

LaineC New Member

So how'd the kel-tec shoot?

4. cecasejr

cecasejr New Member

I have one and it has been flawless. Right out of the box it ate anything I have it. No jams or failures of any kind. I have put about 250 rounds through it so it is probably broken in now.

They have been hard to get lately as they are on sale at Gander Mountain for $299.

5. cecasejr

cecasejr New Member

That should say "anything I gave it".

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The trigger is not a 1911!
    Respectable group none the less (for such a gun)

Do not plan on target shooting at any "backyard" distance.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am seriously considering an LCP, also. On sale at Gander Mountain, huh? :)

8. bradford027

bradford027 New Member

700 or so rounds of various ball and hp ammo. Absolutely 0 failures of any kind. Its my summer carry gun in a desantis pocket holster. My only knock is the long trigger pull and reset. You get used to that though. I find it very accurate for a pocket gun also. I can actually get halfway decent groups at 20 or so yards when i do my part.

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I have a Ruger LCP 380. Never a problem. I nicknamed it the 'lil' canon' because of its sound and power up close.
    I had removed the recoil spring #9 and replaced it with a Wolf recoil spring #13 to reduce the recoil. It works
    greatly and dependently. Can't go wrong with it as a backup or a primary.

10. Win73

Win73 Member

I highly recommend the LCP. I carry mine every day either as my primary or as a back up to my S & W Model 637 Airweight .38 snub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

PanBacca: Any reliability issues or problems racking the slide w heavier spring ? My LCP has been extremely reliable & accurate W everything I feed it. CS laser corrects for speed bump like sights.

Too much like work to shoot too often.... Springs are usually matched to loads to protect frames from excessive wear so I am curious about recoil reduction.

12. LaineC

LaineC New Member

I guess I'll pick one up when I find a good deal although 380 ammo is sky high

13. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

The LCP is one of the most successful carry designs in history. But before you buy one, turn it upside down and rack the slide - if it returns to battery w authority buy it. If not, walk away.

This little test stems from a YouTube problem video. I performed the test on mine and I couldn't stop mine from returning to battery no matter what I tried.

14. LaineC

LaineC New Member

Ok thanks I'll do that

15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

First (and unfortunately only) time I shot mine, it took 10 shots to get it on a 17x11 piece of paper from 30'. They are a handful, but what a great light weight carry!

16. LaineC

LaineC New Member

So do you still have it?

17. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Just got it. Due to life's little responsibilities, I've had ZERO time to shoot in the last several weeks. I like it for what it is, light weight occassional carry when nothing else will work. Plan to keep it, but need some time to shoot more.

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

Laser will help in a variety of ways. It will clean up your trigger pull so you will have a clean release and it will correct for speed bump like sights.

Which laser ? What is it going to be used for ? Self defense - CT lasers turn on automatically when you grip the pistol - this is NOT always a good thing but it quiets a certain segment...

19. priell3

priell3 New Member

Never had a problem with my LCP. 340 rounds using 6 different types and brands of ammo