Ruger .22 pellet rifle

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by BWilder, Mar 11, 2015.

1. BWilder

BWilder New Member

I just got my first pellet rifle and. I chose the ruger air magnum .22 cal. It looked decent and had good reviews online so I took a chance.

I have a leupold vx-1 4-12x40 sitting in leupold QD rings on there now. I know the parallax isn't the best for it but the 4x32 scope it came with wasn't to impressive.

I was wondering if any of you know where I can get upgraded parts for it to possibly shoot faster, more accurate? ?

Now I don't know anything about pellets guns so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations! Look up air gun or air rifle tuning for information on accurizing.

3. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

air gun depot and airgun warehouse have parts for uprades of alot of air guns not sure about yours but they probably do.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i'm sorry.. but why drop that much cash on optics for a pellet gun???? are you insane??..sorry.. your choice... um so your asking to accurize a pellet gun? can you please tell me what mall you and your merry gang of ninjas patrol. ohh sorry again... not trying to be mean.. really trying hard to not be mean.. im going to stop typing now.... good luck with your upgrades... umm my advice.. buy a better gun fitted for that optic...

5. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

An air rifle must have an it rifle scope. If the Leopold you installed is a rifle scope, the recoil will knock the reticle loose.

6. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Exactly what Mongo said. Recoil on a springer is comprised of two major movements. The first is the compression spring slamming forward, pushing the gun forward, then the rearward recoil from the pressure of the air moving the pellet down the barrel. Together, it can destroy some expensive optics. It won't take many shots. Make sure the scope you have on your rifle is rated for the type of rifle you have it mounted on. All that said, pellet guns are a great addition to any gun collection. They are fun and cheap to shoot. Any trigger time you get is good trigger time. With the exception of the the noise, the process of shooting an airgun or a 30-06 is exactly the same. Your Ruger is very accurate you need to practice with it and find the right pellet. good luck

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Don't worry about other peoples opinions on air guns. I have 30 something guns in my collection that shoot bullets pushed by gun powder. I also shoot black powder. And I have 5 or 6 air guns as well. When it comes right down to it your air rifle is just as effective on squirrels as a 22 rifle may be. Be careful with the scope though. I did destroy a 22lr scope by using it on an air rifle.

You don't really work at the mall...right? Just kidding.

8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I also have a pellet gun . It's a daisy and I changed the scope too . Don't know if I can up grade it , it's a pump up type . :confused:

The rifles are more accurate than the pistols . Good shooting and don't put your eye out ! :D

My mall , be the one in Clarion , beware ........! :p you won't see me but I'll see you ..! ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. BWilder

BWilder New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to look into a new scope for it now. And here I thought it was a good scope for it :p

Attached Files:

10. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

As mentioned pellet rifles are hard on scopes. As for making it faster it might be possible but not practical. The thing that is nice about the .22 vs .177 is that the .22 does not approach the speed of sound. A lot of the .177 are nearly as fast as a .22LR with PBA ammo. You get that "crack" when the pellet breaks the sound barrier. This is when the pellet loses it's stability and accuracy. The best thing is to go for consistency of speed.

Usually takes about 200-500 pellets before every thing settles down and the accuracy improves.

I'm not sure about the Ruger's but there is a lot of info on Crosman pellet rifles out there. A good forum is GTA. I don't remember the policy on links so just to be safe.

I myself have a Crosman Optimus in .22. Last year I was hitting the bottom of soda cans out to 50 yards consistently. 90% or better. I was also putting 14.3grn Crosman pellets through two sheets of standard duct metal at 50 yards. It is not the smoothest shooting pellet rifle but once I got use to it I go good at it. Best part according to local LEO's I can shoot this in my backyard as it is not considered a firearm here. Neighbor's have not complained either. Did have one friend of the family comment they could here the ping of the pellet hitting my spinning target but not the rifle from the front of the house. I do need to talk to my new neighbor before getting it out again so they do not freak.

11. BWilder

BWilder New Member

I have already decided that I am buying a .177 as soon as I have enough funds :) what scope were you using on that Crossman Optimus? I am looking at a UTG right now.

12. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

It is the 4x-32 Centerfire that came with it. At 10 yards I can get a single ragged hole out of it. A lot of people do not like the Counterpoint that ships with these rifles. Not sure if it is because they are used to better glass but it does well for me. The biggest thing with pellet rifle scopes is to make sure it is rated for springer air rifles.

I do have a UTG that I bought for it but wound up installing it on a Savage 64 as that scope was junk. Where I have gotten most of my info is "Gateway to Airguns". Could not think of the actual title earlier.

The only mod I have done so far is a bearing on the trigger to make it smoother and lessen the pull by a marginal part. This is only due to less friction. Just like on a powder rifle it did make the groups easier to maintain. The main thing is practice. And when you can get 500 rounds of Crosman Premier Hollow Points for about $10 to Wal-mart it is hard to not practice.

13. hareebrownbeest

hareebrownbeest New Member

You obviously have no clue about pellet rifles (modern ones). They now shoot about the same as a .22LR and can take medium size game down, maybe even a human;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

14. bamabrad22

bamabrad22 New Member

I think you have a great pellet rifle. I have actually looked at the same one you have myself. There is a show on the pursuit channel that is all about airguns. Great information. As stated do not shoot it without a scope that is not recommended for air rifles. Sounds weird but it will mess your scope up. Good lick

15. dango

You kicked in my curiosity about pellet guns . I've gone on line and did some looking . I found that some of these guns are quite impressive ! From full auto to semi , and an FPS that's comparable to conventional rifles !
    One model made by PCP , the guy used to hog hunt ? Eeeek ! The gun was as expensive as some top shelf rifles , $1,600 and up .

They are very impressive , not at all the toy I expected !

16. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

Check these out dango I have al ost held back the money twoce and put my name on the waiting list for one of these.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

Wanna go bear hunting with a air rifle. Pics of one taken with one on the sight as well as a whole bunch of other game. Cool stuff I really do want one but other stuff always jumps ahead. The whole waitiong to get on a list then waiting to get your gun keeps putting me off.

17. dango

Now that is crazy ...! Big bore ...? What kind of kick would it have ..? I would think the same as a convention rifle...? I got to see video and audio ..! :D
    It probably could compete with my 45/70 ....! :confused: that's crazy ....! Put your eye out ...blow your head off. ! :D

18. dango

Found a video .......I guess the bang is the projectile breaking the sound barrier or is it the air escaping ....? Enjoy.......

http://youtu.be/ldF3A3fpPnc

19. dango

20. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

Just what everyone needs "ANOTHER INTEREST" to suck up the finite budget dollars :D

The air release would be prety noisy but the bang is definitely that 308 breaking the sound barrier. I don't think most of the bigger bores with normal ammo woulod break the sound barrier. Might be close though. The 308 is the one I want though. Just because :)