Ruger 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SlightlyAddicted0311, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SlightlyAddicted0311

SlightlyAddicted0311 New Member

Was wondering if anyone could speak from experience on Ruger 1911's. Any input, whether good or bad; would be appreciated. Those who have 1000+ rounds ran through one, please don't hesitate to post

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Canebrake is a Colt man, but he keeps other guns around too, and I know he has the Remington R1, but he may also have the Ruger.

If someone doesn't chime in with what you want, try throwing him a PM. Don't know if he has one or not, but he may.

3. BlastinBob

BlastinBob New Member

I have one that I have put about 500 rounds through at this point. Would have shot it more, but purchased a Sig RCS .45acp since and that's been my carry gun.
    The Ruger is a great 1911. Very accurate. It's not fancy, just good.

4. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

I have about 700 through mine,the only hiccup I had was working up handloads with semi wadcutters.That was my fault, not the guns(had them seated too low).
    The majority has been factory ammo and it ate everything with zero issues and compared to my Colt it is as nice feeling and handleing but like BlastinBob says,"Very accurate. It's not fancy, just good."

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

My experience is they are impossible to find.

6. 1kcender

1kcender New Member

Yes. I second that. My local GS has had some on order for a while now and still has not received the first one.

7. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I own a Ruger SR1911...love the gun! I have only seen 3 in my local area and I bought one of those. The store I bought it from had 2 come in, I bought the first one, and before I could finish the paperwork the second one was sold. I LOVE my Ruger SR1911. It's a great 1911. Accurate, reliable and well-made. I've shot several hundred rounds through the pistol and haven't had a single problem or failure of any kind, using everything from the expensive stuff to more affordable range ammo.

The fit and finish of my SR1911 is very good, the grips are comfortable and even a little bit stylish and I can definitely echo the others who said it's "not facny, just good."

Attached Files:

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Thx for posting the pics and Info guys. I have never seen one. I thought they were just an Urban Legend.:D

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Nice 1911, i like that camo pattern too

10. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

IVE been looking for one all over for the last year and no luck.? Ruger says wont be available till mid to end of 2012.?:mad:

11. flyingbrickracing

flyingbrickracing New Member

My LGS ordered two from two different distributors and my friend and I each claimed one,that was on May third 2011.We got the call from the shop Jan.27th saying they were in.
    The nearly 8 month wait was well worth it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  12. Transman

Transman New Member

I've had mine nearly a year now.LGS ordered and I had in within 2wks.Paid 650.00 for it.It has been through about 800 rds.with no problems.Love shooting this gun,attracts a lot of attention at the range.

13. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

I actually recently stumbled across another SR1911 at a local gunshop here in Fredericksburg, VA last weekend. It was the first one I'd seen in my entire area since I bought mine last year. I actually pointed it out laying in the case I was so pleasantly surprised. :)

MrWray, that camo pattern I used as a background in that photograph is a pattern a company called Planet Eclipse came up with last year called HDE...it was made for paintball but I really do like the pattern. Plus the company has been very good to me over the years. Check them out at PlanetEclipse.com if it's something you like. I think it'd make a great bowhunting camo especially in the clothing they manufacture in-house.

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I am on the hunt for SR1911, today fired an older Ruger .45 ACP shooting tulammo 230 gr. no issues, smooth action and right on target. Also, fired a Single action .357 revolver (not a Ruger) and it was right on! :D

I fired a Kimber 1911 and loved it; but, I did not want to get into another addiction. Well! That addiction is coming!

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

You get a 1911, and your screwed. I'm planning my next one already. Been a 1911 convert since tuesday, popped my cherry today, first time firing any 1911, and it was my own.

16. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I love my SR1911 but it still seems to be a unicorn now-a-days. I sure got lucky with mine :D

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Ruger will have these in 9MM and .40 some day. I am lookin for the SR 1911 in .38 Super. Some day maybe:)

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Much talked about but rarely seen? I had been seeing them all the time, but as soon as people on FTF started talking about them more, it seemed the supply suddenly dried up in my area.

19. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Several months ago I posted a personal reply I got from the president of Ruger. He stated they were installing about 3 million dollars worth new equipment just to build more 1911's. You gotta figure they would also have to hire new personel to run those machines. I got really frustrated last year trying to get one . You CAN buy them from Gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com but you'll wind up in a bidding war and pay about $750.00 or more...In fact I bet you can still find the limited editions for about $1,200.00 (they only made 100 of them)

Sooner or later, if you'll wait long enough they should be showing up everywhere and for a lot less money. Personaly, I bought so many guns last year I swore I would not buy another during 2012. But if I see an SR1911 I could put on my AMEX card for 600.00 or less that sucker is MINE! :D My only regret is I could have bought one from my LGS for around $650.00 last year - I waited and it was gone! Really wanted one that was actually built in 2011 - since its a 100 year anniversary model. Oh well...

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Nova, don't sweat it too much, the 1911 didn't actually go into production until 1912. I think February. Maybe March.

1911 got it's model name because that was the year it was accepted for military service. I think it was built (prototype) and patented in 1910.

So, 2010 and 2011 are gone... Make sure you get one made in 2012 to stick to that 100 year mark.