ruger 10/22?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by krisko09, Jun 13, 2012.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I always hear about the 10/22. ALWAYS. My only 22LR rifle is an old marlin my pops gave me. I love using it for squirrel, but frankly, i'd like to upgrade to something a little more tactical. What r everyone's thoughts on the 10/22 tactical? Or are other 10/22 models as easily customized as this one?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

the ruger 10/22 is one of the most customizable rifles made. however, buying and installing all the custom do dats can get pricey quick. personally i dont care much for the look of a factory 10/22. when i come across a used one im going to get it but thats only for the reciever. i want a new stock, barrel, and trigger group. but thats just me. they are popular for a reason. they are easy to take apart and do the modifications..if its what you want get it.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They are also extremely reliable and tack drivers.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you want the ruger to shoot better than your marlin? You may want to buy a ruger used rifle and build it your self over time so it does not hurt your wallet so much. Nothing about a 10/22 that you can't do at home. You can go to EABCO for a e b shaw barrel for 99 bucks some are cheaper out there. A Hogue overmolded stock stock runs 65 or less, Clark customs trigger kit for a way better trigger. Maybe a scope from walmart like the centerpoint 4-16 for 70 bucks. Buy a 10 buck weaver base. Save a nice amount of money,have rifle that will shot better and you built it.

5. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

This is my hunting 10/22 I paid 160 for the gun 100 for the tapco stock it went together nice fit where the front grip is there's a cover that slides on n covers it up when I go hunting I set it up that way I can't miss with this gun

Attached Files:

6. Harley_Guy

Harley_Guy New Member

With the right setup, it's can be a tack driver at 100 yards. Mine is stock and came with a scope. I'm shooting a 1 inch pattern at 50 yards. Don't see a need to go longer. Puts meat on the table.

7. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

So general consensus seems to be buy a used, and make it what i want it to be. Sounds good. I loved my AR build and loved customizing my 1911 so i don't see why this would be any different.

8. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

customizing a 10/22 can easily turn into an addiction. - forewarned

:D

Curlyjoe

9. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Kind of like buying a gun in general? Lol

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Ahh, the 10/22 your standard meat and potatos gun. I have seldom missed a potato with it, and they don't run very far.

Jim

[​IMG]

11. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

so now that I'm shopping around, I'm curious: is there a particular model of the 10/22 that is more easily customisable? I've noticed that some of them have the little iron sights on them, some have a rail system, etc. is there a particular model that I should be looking out for if I want to gut it, or would just the standard little carbine work fine?

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Standard carbine works fine. Mine is from 1985.

Attached Files:

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

pretty please tell me thats not an acog. :p

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my suggestion on the 10/22 vs. the M60 is this. if you want one to modify and custom build into what you want in a 22 rifle, then get the 10/22. if you want one to buy new, pull it out the box and at most just want to maount a scope and go shooting or hunting, buy the M60.

16. 51colt

51colt New Member

I have two 10-22s i like them both my new one is setup like my Mini14. I would also like to have a Marlin60. If you buy them right you can get both.:)

17. jrmoney

jrmoney New Member

I love my 10/22! there are some great options in here already, but I really prefer my setup. Ill include a link to my video. It is a pretty good video that shows how to completly take apart every piece and upgrade the parts I think need a little help. You should definaltly get a 10/22 and you will love it!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/jstreamnc

JRMONEY

18. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

The 10/22 is definitely a great gun. The iron sights that come with the carbine or compact rifles are actually very accurate. I can shoot up a coke can at fifty all of the way to around seventy yards no problem with them. It's a good rifle to just carry into the woods and is my go to gun if I just want to shoot stuff in general. With or without a scope, you will be able to put meat on the table pretty consistently. I can't compare it to the marlin 60 because I have only ever shot 10/22s and have never felt the need to shoot with anything different. That tells me they are quality guns! It is your choice if you want to buy new or used and I think either way is fine. If you want to put all of those fancy aftermarket parts on it buy used and save money, if not, I would buy new.

19. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

good informative video friend,.

I'm convinced, just keeping my eyes out for a good deal. seems like no on wants to sell a used one.. which tells me they r a good rifle.

20. franklin67

franklin67 New Member

I have a M60 and a 10/22. I bought the 10/22 with thoughts of 'tricking it out' but I like the way the Marlin shoots much better, so Im gonna sell the 10/22. The Marlin is from '82 so it has that 18 round tube mag, which is a plus. Tricks are for kids :)