ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by moneymaker17, Sep 30, 2010.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

ok, im looking to buy 1/3 guns i would like to buy a .22 10/22 ruger.. AR-15.. and some type of handgun a little later on.. so here is the problem
    i want to buy a .22 long rifle i would like to put a banna clip on, scope, diffrent stock. more tactical stock on it..
    would you guys think a 10/22 ruger is good for me?
    how easy are they to work on/build
    should i start from scratch or buy a used one?
    how much do they cost?
    thanks gun friends!

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The 10/22 is probably the ultimate .22 rifle to modify. There are tons of options to trick it out in whatever fashion you want. They even have a kit to make it look like a Thompson Submachine gun.

Take a look in the rimfire threads to see some mods that members here have done.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

10/22 is the accessorizers best friend.

But how about an M&P22, or GSG5, or one of the new breed of tacticool .22's?

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I like the 30 carbine stocks. Rally though you can get about anything you want for a 10-22. I've bought several used adn took them apart and start building it back up to shoot however the plan dictates. You can find them in pawn and/or gun shops used really cheap most the time.

5. Old_sweetpea

Old_sweetpea New Member

I just bought my Ruger 10/22 last sunday. I got it brand new in the box for about $230. My reason for buying is that for one you can customize the holy hell out of it, and two the ammo is dirt cheap. The only problem I've had was the factory magazine release is real jerk, I have to wiggle the clip out. I've already ordered a stock and grip, and plan on doing some more to it. All the times I've went out shooting with my buddies I've had a great time, shot loads of rounds, and made some really good shots with the gun as is straight out of the box.

6. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

Well put my friend. I have seen quite a few 10/22's on steroids that shoot no better than they do out of the box. If I want a Colt quality .22 I will buy a Colt .22 from the start.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

totally disagree. most folks modify them because its fun and easy to do. it doesnt mean the people are doing it to make it "better" just different.

i gaurantee that my modified 10/22 will outshoot yours with any ammo brand any day of the week. the only thing left on mine from the factory is the bolt and reciever.

8. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have the S&W MP 15-22 and love it! I am probably getting a Ruger 10/22-FS Tactical it has a 10 shot capacity; however, you can use the Butler Creek 25 round banana for it. We have the Ruger Charger .22LR - love it; but, that is the wifes favorite when we get the chance for range. I have had an issue with the Butler Creek, the last time I solved the problem. The Ruger's are not picky on specific ammo - I have remaining Remington 550 .22LR ammo that the S&W does not like, the Charger has not an issue.

The MP 15-22 can have more accessories attached.

Infomration on the MP 15-22:

It does have an ammo issue, meaning specific .22LR ammunition for optimal performance:

• CCI Standard Velocity
    • Federal American Eagle
    • CCI Mini-Mag
    • Federal GameShock
    • CCI Stinger
    • Winchester Super-X High Velocity
    • Aguila Super Extra High Velocity
    • Aguila Super Extra Std. Velocity

It is recommended that you fire several boxes to determine reliability of ignition and performance.

Does not recommend the following:

• Remington Golden Bullet
    • Remington Thunderbolt
    • Remington Target 22
    • Winchester Wildcat
    • Any and all sub-sonic brands and types

9. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

How much money do you have invested in that $175 gun? Could have probably bought a Colt with the same money. The $1,500 Colt will be worth more than $1,500 5 years from now assuming you take care of it. Will a blinged out 10/22?

Don't get me wrong, I love my 10/22. It is, in my opinion, the best deal there is for a .22 but I see no need to make it a pimp gun. It works just fine as is.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The only mods I plan to make on my stock 10/22 are a $40 Simmons scope and a Stalkingbear trigger job.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've had a 10-22 that I bought for my oldest son many moons ago and have a henry lever I picked up last winter. I also have a Nylon 66, and a Marliin Glenfield m60 that was my first rifle ever. My favorite to shoot of them all is the Henry. It hits right where I point it, it makes me work for the next shot by running the lever, and it has a really nice trigger, I was happily surprised when I first fired it at how the trigger performed. I say get a Henry, you'll have a blast with it and save on ammo, too.

12. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

I would love to tell those boys how silly they look then tell them to pull up their pants but none of them speak English so it wouldn't matter. I really hope Florida passes a law to mirror Arizona's law. Maybe then at least one person in Miami might learn English.

13. group17

group17 New Member

Now that you can find them for under $400 I wouldn't buy another 10/22 then add options.

14. montveil

montveil New Member

If you want a fun gun with very reasonable accuracy and that can be easily modified the 10-22 will fit the bill. A few relatively mods can make it handier.
    If you want to do heavy modifications just get a second hand cheapy and just spend a truckload of $.
    If you want extreme accuracy go with a bolt action or single shot.
    My 10-22 mods consist of a magazine release, left hand safety and a trigger polishing and I use high velocity ammo and have a ball with it.
    My extreme accuracy comes from my H&R 17
    Have fun first

15. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead
    The $1,500 Colt will be worth more than $1,500 5 years from now assuming you take care of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lonyaeger
    View Post
    Really? That's a pretty big statement.

I paid $375 for my Colt Officer's Model 1911 in the early 80's. It is in perfect condition. I'm sure I could sell it for about $700 today. I also have a .38 Special Colt Revolver I paid less than $100 for in the late 60's. My guess is that would sell for well over the $100 I paid for it. So to answer lonvaeger's comment of "Really? That's a pretty big statement." I would say it is a statement that can easily be proven true.

I don't think the same can be said about a blinged out 10/22. As I said before, I have nothing bad to say about a 10/22. I have one that is about 35 years old and another that is about 4 years old and they both shoot great. Why change a good thing. As they say: "If it aint broke don't fix it".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  16. hideit

hideit New Member

if i were buying a 22lr rifle today it would have to be this one -

17. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

I think you took my post for something it was not. I said a Colt that you pay $1,500 for now will still be worth $1,500 5 years from now meaning they hold their value. They will hold their value 5, 10, 15, 20 or 50 years from now. A pimped our $175 10/22 will not be worth $1,500 in five years just because someone foolishly spends $1,500 on it today. I NEVER said it will take a Colt 5 years to appreciate.

18. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I agree, I'm done.

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

One last shot, then I'm done. I recently sold my old beavertail forended 10/22 for $500. So some of them do have some collector value down the road.

But if I were to bling out a 10/22, I'd probably keep the original parts and such. Easier to sell that way. Sell the 10/22 and then sell the after market goodies by themselves.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

FANBOY FIGHT FANBOY FIGHT.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]