Ruger 10/22 vs. Mosin-Nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by LWNagel, Jul 10, 2011.

1. LWNagel

LWNagel New Member

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am getting a first gun in the very near future, and I am considering either of the aforementioned rifles. I will be using it for target shooting. What are your opinions?

Thanks!

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Personally...both. Neither are expensive rifles to acquire and the ammo for each is relatively inexpensive, at least the surplus commie stuff for the Mosin. The 10/22 is a hoot to plink with especially if you have limited access to an outdoor range. The Mosin shoots a heavier round but is still a fun plinker yet can reach out a bit longer than the Ruger...my next rifle purchase will probably be a Mosin

BTW, welcome to the forum. Many of our newer members find it helpful to post in the Intro thread...lets folks get to know a bit about you and may get some additional replies to your post. Lots of 10/22 and Mosin owners round these parts...

3. moonpie

moonpie New Member

basically you're asking us to compare apples to carrots.here we go. if i only had one gun it would be a 22. if i were to get one now and another later i'd get the 22 first. a 22 will always be more versatile, easier to shoot, cheaper to shoot, and kick less. specificly the 1022 is one of the most adaptable and upgradable guns to be had.flip side. the moisin is probably the most reliable machine since the wheel. they've worked in every extreme from russian winters to 'nam monsoons. right now long russian thurty is cheap but one stroke of the obamapen can change that.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Should I buy a Mo-ped, or a tractor trailer? Depends on what you want to do with it. As he said up there, totally different weapons, with different uses. You are NOT going to fire that M/N on a 50 ft indoor range, and you are not going to shoot that 10-22 at 400 meters.

5. Wambli

Wambli Member

Get the Ruger and learn the basics of rifle shooting with a nice .22. Ultra cheap ammo and no recoil to speak off.

Tough to master trigger control for a newbie with the buck and roar of a MN. You can graduate to center fire when you have the basics solid.

6. Blaine

Blaine New Member

If I was only going to buy one or the other, I would get the Ruger.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

If you're going to be limited to indoor ranges then I would choose the Ruger 10/22. If you can go to outdoor ranges I would choose the Mosin Nagant. Now that's just me, but in your case I would go with the Ruger 10/22 first to learn the basics of shooting, and then consider moving up to the Mosin Nagant. The Mosin Nagant's are also very cheap to own so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one. If you have the money I'd personally get both ;).

8. vincev

vincev New Member

Your question is like asking"I want to play golf with one club.Should it be a putter or a driver?' Buy the 10/22

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10/22..............no-brainer!

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

EVERYONE should have a 10-22 in their arms room. It is a good, reliable, reasonably accurate, easily accessorized, American made rifle. Ammunition will be available long after the Mosin ammo has dried up. The Mosin can kick like the proverbial mule and is not a good choice for a first gun.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I agree with robocop10mm about the 10/22, but I disagree about the Mosin. I'm the exception when it comes to a lot of firearms, because I'm 6'4 and I actually like a firearm to have some good recoil to it. I started out on the Mosin Nagant and that's probably one reason I like a firearm to have some good recoil since I does kick some.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Edit: Model 60.Fixed your typo.

My humble opinion, The 10/22 is a POS. Yes you can upgrade parts, infact you need to, to make it shoot strait! Get a nice bolt gun in .22lr. You can't go wrong.

13. jpattersonnh

The 91/30 has recoil?? Never noticed. I'm a small guy at 6'3" and 250lb. I always thought it was mild!

14. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I think the recoil on it is mild as well. The recoil on it compared to some of the other firearms I have fired or my other firearms is fairly good. I've shot many firearms and when I say good recoil, I mean the kick to it I find very attractive. I like firearms that have kick to them, because I'm not recoil sensitive. For example my favorite caliber is the .45 ACP and I find the recoil very attractive. It's sort of a hard thing to explain I know. The best way I can kind of describe it is; It's like having a grip on a firearm that fits your hand perfectly. That's the same sort of attractiveness and feeling I get with recoil.

15. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

They are inexpensive enough, buy both. Then you can have two times the fun.:D

16. jpattersonnh

I like your smoking chair!

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Do more research, get a 22LR. A 10/22 might not be the ticket.

The Mosin should definitely be your second gun.

18. Wambli

Wambli Member

The .45 ACP is a nice mild recoiling handgun cartridge. My 5'2" wife shoots IDPA with a 25oz Kimber UltraCarry (it is HER gun) and places above most men everytime. My old 500 with the 4" barrel, now THAT has a little kick to it. That gun alwasy put a smile on my face.

19. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

My Springfield Mil-Spec 1911a1 always puts a smile on my face, and the samething goes for my Smith and Wesson model 19 with a 4 inch barrel. Next on my revolver list is a model 29 Smith and Wesson.

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My vote is to get a SKS... It was my first gun. Very little recoil, nice shooters, and easy to maintain...