Ruger 10/22 VS. Kel-Tec PLR-22

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by thundermonty, Aug 1, 2011.

1. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

I was wanting to get the kel tec plr-22 for a while and put a forend on it. but i cant stop thinking about how everyone love's their 10/22's. i was thinking. how would a kel-tec with a forend stand up to a ruger 10/22 with a tapco intrafuse stock system? thanks.

2. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Kel-tec can't compare to the 10-22, it doesn't have near the amount of aftermarket parts and mags, and personally I haven't seen any kel-tecs that I like, they all just look retarded

3. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

yeah im either going with smith and wesson .22 or ruger .22

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

The Ruger definitely has more accessories available. I love my dad's 10/22 and I know you can find tactical style stocks for them. I like the S&W 15-22 but it is a tactical .22 and you can not convert it to a standard rifle. I looked long and hard at a couple tactical .22s but eventually went with a standard style rifle as I know I can make it tactical if I want and switch it back when I get out of my "Tacticool" phase...

5. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

well, if you buy a tactical stock, you can use it for run n gun. then if you want to do target shooting you just put the original stock back on :)

6. rachilders

rachilders New Member

Truthfully, you are comparing apples & oranges as they are two totally different systems that were designed for different purposes.

The bottom line is the 10/22 is a rifle while the PLR is a pistol. I have a PLR-16 (the 22's big brother) and essentially it's a SBR designed for close in shooting and/or personal protection and the 22 version is basically the same. OTOH, the Ruger is a rife, built for target shooting and hunting with accuracy at long (relatively) ranges. Probably the best compromise between both guns is something like S&W's M&P 15-22. FWIW, I have an M&P 15-22 and REALLY like it's versatility.

7. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

The 10/22 is just an all around classic.

8. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

The Ruger 10/22 has the most aftermarket parts/configuration options of any .22lr rifle.

Kel-tec makes decent equipment, but the 10/22 is the best hands down.

Although, in fairness, the marlin model 60 has sold more rifles.

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If you plan on leaving it pretty close to factory configuration I would say 10/22, if you plan on customizing then I'd skip right over the Kel-tec and get a Smith & Wesson M&P15-22. They accept nearly any AR15 accessories.