Ruger 10/22 vs Henry Lever Action or Golden Boy

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Alex2455, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

The title says it all. I'm 14, going to get my first .22 in two weeks and as of yet undecided. Both rifles seem great, but I'd like to know more about the pros and cons of the guns before I buy one. Anyone who has a Henry or Ruger, pics are always appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Alex

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You are talking about two very different rifles.

10/22: Very affordable semi-auto. More aftermarket stuff than any other gun I can think of. Good out of the box, but with Stalkingbear's trigger work and floating the barrel, it becomes a very good shooter.

Henry: Pricey lever action, but great out of the box as is. Much better looking than any semi-auto in my opinion. No aftermarket stuff needed.

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I bought a Henry Youth Lever Action for my 7 year old son, I like it, Its fun to shoot and seems to be quite accurate, I have shot 10-22's, Both have their plus's and minus's the 10-22 is a point and shoot, Fun but for what I needed I wanted my son to learn to shoot rather than spray and prey, With the Lever Action its a little more interactive, I like Henry's but I think a Golden Boy is a tad on the pricey side for a .22.
    Side note I just picked up a Mossberg 802 Plinkster .22 for my daughter in Pink <--- seen there.
    Good luck!

4. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

Pic of a golden boy and a US shooting team 10/22. Everyone needs a 10/22 so I say get one instead of a Henry.

Attached Files:

5. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

Personnally, I would go with the Henry. Classic looking rifle and you won't have to spend any money to turn it into anything else. Never been a real fan of the 10/22. Buddy had one years ago and the best part about it was loading up the 30 rd mags and seeing how fast we could empty them. Does not promote good shooting habits.

6. Alex2455

Alex2455 New Member

Henry

I think I'm leaning towards the Henry. Just seems much more fun to work the lever instead of just pulling the trigger.

Inexpensive optics and accessories?

7. 99z28monster

99z28monster New Member

I would go with the Henry I have own the 22lr, 22wmr and 22lr golden boy. Out of the 3 the golden boy was the most accurate but I believe that is because it balanced better and had better sites. Don't get me wrong the regular henrys shot really well also. A great out of the box gun and great looking as well. My experience with the 10/22 is pretty much fill up a 30 round clip and shoot as fast as I could.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I've had nearly every popular .22 cal rifle you could think of and love(d) them all, some more than others, but recently I purchased a New Henry Lever Action. . . I LOVE IT! Almost more than I did ANY of my .22s the first go around in my childhood.

I vote for HENRY!!! Not only will it help you develop marksmanship, but working the action also teaches the hand-eye coordination required for shooting ANY gun with skill.

Have Fun!

9. od green

od green New Member

I own three Henry's the h001 and h001m and the survival . The H001 is my youngest son's rifle and is my go to gun . This rifle has taken more crap than I can throw at it as it's my truck/tractor gun and sorta beat up , if you want a 50 or 75 yard and occasional 100 yard shot this really is what you want !!! The H001 will go Bang every time you pull the trigger . You can load 15 , 22lr or I think 17 , 22 long and I know you can load 21 , 22 shorts. The action is deff butter smooth and rapid / follow up shots if you need them are fast as you don't loose cheek wield to cycle the action, you can cycle the lever with 2 lower fingers .All my Henry' s have outstanding wood . As far as optic's a Daisy power line 3x9 I have on the H001 or Bushnell 3x9 dusk to dawn I have on the H001M will do you good and both are inexpensive I think you would really enjoy a Henry !!! I know I do .

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Two very different guns.

The 10/22 is the standard for .22 semi-autos. Buy if you want an accurate plinker.

Now the Henry... buy it if you want a good plinker, and want to look really good doing it.

11. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

If you get the Henry you will not regret it. If you can afford it get it. Rugers are so common and you can get one any time and you will get one sooner or later.

12. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

i agree with bond. i have owned both and the henry is definitely more accurate than the rugers i had, but, the rugers were 100% reliable. after a couple hundred rds of cheap dirty ammo the henry will need its innards lubed with some sort of penetrating oil, but i still prefur the henry. i called henry service dept and was advised to not try to take out the innards for cleaning, just lube up and clean what i can reach. small price to pay for such a classy accurate little rifle.

13. FreedomFighter69

FreedomFighter69 New Member

If your considering a lever action 22 rifle checkout a Marlin ! The Marlin lever 22 is better quality than any of the 22 Henry's. The Marlin {any Marlin for the matter} is a bit heavier, but that's because it's more sturdy and strong. I had 2 Henry 22's one a 20 inch barrel, one an 18 inch with a large lever loop. They were nice rifles and shot very well but there is a degree of plastic parts used in all Henry's except the big bores. The Marlin is all steel with a forged receiver !
    Forged is better than milled, better than stamped ! It's easy to take down to clean and could stand endless shooting. Your better off starting with that rather than the 10/22. The 10/22 is a great rifle, fun to shoot, and strong but as in the case of any auto vs a manual, more complicated ! Once you become good with your lever gun then go to an auto. I wouldn't recommend an auto for a first gun, even in a handgun. I started with a 357 mag and loaded it with 38 Special +P's. My first rifle was a Marlin 22 LR and I was 21 at the time !
    If your planning on doing a lot of shooting go with the Marlin. It is very, very easy to clean. An auto is a bit more tedious especially if you never had one before. Check them out ! If dad was willing to pop for a Golden Boy, im sure He'll go for a Marlin ! Heck try to get a Winchester 22 out of it if you can, hee, hee. If not get a Marlin !

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I don't have either one. But if you were going to make me choose, I would go with the Henry just on looks alone. I say get the Henry, then if you still must have a 10-22, get one later. It's not as though they are going to stop making them next week.

15. glockalot

glockalot New Member

If you like and want a lever action, the Henry is sweet! I have the 45 colt (2nd from the top in my photo) but know 2 people with the 22lr and I want one....bad!

Attached Files:

16. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have both. The Henry is fun to shoot but I am still much more accurate with the 10/22

17. GP007

GP007 New Member

I just took my Henry out for the first time. The Henry was a pleasure to shoot and the lever action almost becomes an unconscious act.

For me, the lever action creates a nice cadence the semis lack.

18. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

The Henry comes with a good trigger and smooth action. The 10-22 has to have some work dun to it to be any where close to the Henry. There are all sorts of sights that tell you how to do the work on the 10-22. That is work that don't have to be dun on the Henry. Good luck with what ever you pick.

19. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I've not got either, but I've shot my Winchester 9422 a lot and shot a Remington Speedmaster a lot, and I'd say I enjoyed the lever action much more. They're classic, beautiful, super reliable, and practical.

20. jimmyp7162

jimmyp7162 New Member

I liked the Henry until I saw a used standard model. No blueing, just painted parts to look blue...and this was all peeling off. Would hate to see what a golden boy looks like with years of field use. If you want a good lever, get a marlin. If you want a great auto, get a 10/22.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.