ruger 10-22 the thoughts on the new back packable model?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by satajet, Nov 14, 2012.

1. satajet

satajet New Member

What are your thoughts about the way it beaks apart and snaps back together... Satajet...

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

The Takedown, it's seems like a great option. I've got it on my short list...

3. satajet

satajet New Member

Have you seen it in the flesh? The ends seem a bit weird(very big gap) where the receiver and breech butt up or should butt up...

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I've looked at many- -it is a solid design. But other than transport, I don't see any advantage.

5. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I like the concept, just don't know how durable the weapon is after it's been apart a few times.

6. satajet

satajet New Member

I came to the same conclusion. Thanks

7. satajet

satajet New Member

I felt it was questionable construction and that normal ware and tare was a negative.

8. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

I own one. I have taken it to the range several times. I feel the joint mechanism is very good. It even provides an adjusting collar or nut that is used to take out any gap between the halves. I do not think that I will be needing it any time soon. I feel the materials are top notch and the gun is always at zero after re-assembly.
    The cons are limited customization options, the non-takedown model is better at this as you can do whatever you want.
    Overall, a solid accurate rifle.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you really need a take down rifle there are a couple thats maybe a little better for the needs that have a longer history behind them.
    http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm It is 2.5lbs with loaded mags. Shipping weight is 3.5lbs.

The other great choice but costly choice is the old browning 22 . The rifle was also made 40 or 50 years ago by remington and copied by norico and all shoot to a level thats hard to believe. Great rifles.
    http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/finder.asp?f1=022B

10. satajet

satajet New Member

Thanks for your input hardluk1 Satajet...

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My thought/prediction is that it will be included in the coming ban.

12. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Probably, so jump on it while you can. I own one and agree that its a solid system. Have customized already with butler creek folding stock. Very easy mod to do, took about 1/2 hour or so. I plan on auto bolt release mod and trigger weight/overtravel upgrade in near future.

13. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I got one . Like your AV says sir . Molon Abe .

I got a real kick out of the official that said " A .22LR is a terrorist weapon , a terrorist could take out a power station transformer and take down the power grid with that round from 200 yrds out. " xD The thought a .22 would do anything other than make a " ping " sound to a station transformer @ 200 yrds is inherently laughable .

14. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I love it . And the take the SS block machined onto the barrel that actually locks the barrel in place is thick and sturdy. Also I like the fact ruger took into account the barrel after break in may loosen slightly so the installed a kind of threaded throwout adjustment so with just a couple clicks you can adjust just how snugly the barrel fits onto the reciever. Also the V block seems to be a little heavier due to the fact the stock is in two pieces and doesnt have the support of a one piece stock which I really like.

I've put over a thousand rds through my takedown now and it is just as solid as it was the day I got it . It seems whoever engineered this rifle really sat there and looked at the prototype and really thought of every thing this rifle would need to be reliable and solid after years and thousands of rds later.

I think its the best design I've ever seen for a takedown. And to my knowledge the only desing that incorporates the throwout adjustment to account for break in on the reciever / barrel connections.

I think its an awesome rifle and couldn't be happier with it .

Also if you change only one part out on this rifle make it a KiDD padded bolt buffer pin. If you shoot high velocity rds through a 10/22 overtime the metal on metal contact of the bolt hitting the stock all metal buffer pin can actually egg out the buffer pin machine hole in the receiver . And adding the rubberised bolt buffer pin not only eliminates that possibility and makes it safe to shoot high velocity rounds but it actually reduces vibration and felt recoil < as if you need that on a .22LR but it actually makes a difference I've found > And best part it's only like 5.97 I think I payed? It's the best 6 bucks I coulda spent on this rifle.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  15. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Take a look at the Marlin model 70 Papoose as well.

It comes in a water proof all-weather case and has a 7 shot magazine.

Weight is 3.25lbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hmh

hmh New Member

In the takedown .22 market the 10/22 takedown will be king due to accuracy reliability and ease of assembly. The papoose is a strong runner up and the ar-7 is not even close.

17. dwmiller

Yes i already changed the buffer in mine. Forgot to mention it cause i change them out on all my 10/22's before they are shot.

Has anyone else noticed the rear of the reciever lifting in the stock if you pull hard on the trigger guard? It may be because of the stock swap. If so i'll take care of it with a little bedding to tighten the action/stock fit.

18. dwmiller

What is the price on the papoose model? Also how sturdy is the takedown mechanizim?

19. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

MSRP is $325, store/street price is around $290.

The barrel slides into the receiver, then is tighten down with a barrel retention nut. It's very solid.

20. hmh

hmh New Member

$300 range the barrel has a nut that screws down to the receiver very sturdy. But you have to use the tool to get a good solid lock.