Ruger 10/22 problem

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by phovan, Jul 8, 2007.

1. phovan

phovan New Member

I just acquired a Ruger 10/22 and it jams occasionally. I have cleaned it throughly and the problem persists. the problem is that it doesnt eject the empty casing completely everytime and they get pinched when the bolt cycley forward....
    this happens sometimes once a 10 rd clip sometimes once every 2 or 3 clips
    anythoughts

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

10-22

Is it new? May not be broken in yet. Check the ammo. may be under powered. Try a mag full of CCI stingers. They do not get any higher powered than that. If problem persists, send it back to Ruger. They have a good customer service department.

3. Bidah

Bidah New Member

Used or New is a good start.

It does indeed sound like you may be using underpowered ammo. We just need more information.

I use Federal bulk pack from Wal-Mart, and have shot at least 10 boxes (5000 rounds) through mine without a single hiccup to my recollection.

4. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

.22's can be very twitchy digesting various kinds of ammo. Buy a box of every brand you can find and see what your gun likes. Call Ruger and talk to thier customer service tech's.

5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

It could be under-powered ammunition. However, my 10/.22 digests all kinds of ammunition including subsonic without hiccup. Something to look for: Crud builds up under the extractor and the spring is sometimes not able to push the extractor hook over the rim on the cartridge.

6. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

Have you tried different magazines?

7. wghuffman

wghuffman New Member

Prolong use will cause buildup in the mag. They need to be cleaned also.From another reply you got i agree with alsagr, check the extractor

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

There's actually one round more powerful than stinger & that's Aguila Supermaximum. But I do agree with you on using stingers as they're good ammo.

9. GunNut

GunNut New Member

He's not kidding about that Aquila Supermax 22LR I thought my gun was going to explode it was so hot I quit after 8 rounds. Still have a partial box lying around here someplace.:confused:

10. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I got a new one for Christmas and it is doing the same thing. Federal bulk from Wal Mart fails to eject completely about once every other clip. I ran fifty rounds of the Aquila Supermax through it and not a single failure to extract. I figure it is just a bad lot of ammo. I have had good look with Federal in my other .22s.

Is your gun new? If so it is interesting that you are having the same issue I am. It would make me wonder if something is going on with the new ones.

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Just stay away from Remington ammo, thats asking for trouble.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

No,Just don't buy any Remington ammo from Wallyworld.
    If you buy it from a real gun/ammo store it will shoot just fine.

13. avordman

avordman New Member

I need to make a note to myself, "Where you buy your ammo effects its functionality". Hmmmmm...

14. whtsmoke

whtsmoke New Member

Sounds strange to me that as a manufacturer of any product would use the same box to put two different quality levels of the same product in them and ship accordingly. some of the brands work better for me than others but thats with any ammo. i like to save a buck here and there so the bulk paks are one of my favorite things to buy whether i need it or not. the only problem i have is the price tags dont come close to some of the ones i have on others that i still have. this will be a never ending subject that will be cussed and discussed for every.

15. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The fix is easy and only takes about $11 and 5 minutes to fix. Get a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and install it on your bolt and you won't have anymore problems. Since I put one in each of my two 10/22's I haven't experienced anymore issues like you mention. :cool:

GunKings.com has them for $10.95 with free shipping:

Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor for 10/22 (Free Shipping) [VC10EE] - $10.95 : Gunkings, 10-22 and AR15 parts and accessories

All five of my .22's eat Federal 550 Bulk Pack ammo from Wally World for $15 each like candy.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  16. woodswalker

woodswalker New Member

I've had mine since 1978 and put thousands of rounds of Remington, Federal and Winchester ammo through it with no trouble. A few years ago I started getting a jam once in awhile with the same ammo. I thought maybe the extractor was wearing out so I put in a Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor and didn't have another problem. Since then I have also put them into another 10/22 and a Mark III pistol for my son and his girlfriend.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I've not found that to be the case.

18. Thelt

Thelt New Member

I run a box of Aquila Super Calibria through it and then a box of CCI Blazers and the extraction issues were gone. It must have been that Wallyworld bulk federals that were causing the problems. Out of 50 CCI I had one failure to feed but no other problems and definitely no extraction problems. It seemed like the Federal rounds were just a little bit longer than the other two ammos I have tried in it.

19. whistlindixie

whistlindixie New Member

1stly, I'm a new guy but the original thread is about 4 yrs old. . . Just sayin. :p

Secondly, there's an issue with smaller primers in Federal ammunition at WalMart. Spittinfire talked about it on his thread located here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=446148
    I don't know if other brands are affected but I wouldn't doubt it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011