Ruger 10/22 or S&W M&P 15-22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by niteglock, Jul 23, 2012.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I'm looking to buy a .22 rifle and am torn between the two. I just basically want one because they r cheap to shoot and can have boatloads of ammo on hand. Lol. Which one would be the better to choose. I like the tactical look, but I've heard the ruger 10/22 is more accurate. Any help would be highly appreciated. And I also don't want to spend any more than 400-450.00. I want something thats good for long range and close range. I will soon be looking to go to outdoor ranges and can't afford an Ak or AR. Thanks.

2. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Funny. I just seen the thread about the same thing right underneath this one I just started. Lol. Sorry.

3. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I have no experience with the S&W M&P 22 but I own a 10/22 as well as the pistol version, Charger 10/22. I love them both. The 10/22 rifle has been around and a top seller for over 50 years. I must have close to 10,000 rounds through mine. Both my daughters learned to shoot with mine and I learned how to shoot with one my Dad owned close to 45 years ago.

No need to even spend the $400 to $500 you mentioned as the 10/22 can be bought around $200 if you shop around. Can pick up a good used one even cheaper.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I'm looking at the same choices. My understanding is the 10/22 would require a lot of work for long range shooting, a real challenge with a .22LR round just by itself. At least as compared to other 'out of the box' .22LRs. Don't know much about the M&P 15/22 for distance. I'm looking at it as a 'trainer' to familiarize myself with the AR platform, but I don't really know how closely M&P 15/22 mimics it. Both are reputed to have a very high fun to shoot index which maybe all one should expect.

5. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

I have a 10/22 that is tweaked, My nephew has a stock one, and my bud has the M&P 15/22.

long range shooting is kind of subjective.
    out to 50yds we can't tell the difference between the stock and the M&P.
    at 100 yds both had to use a LARGE bulls eye just to be able to get onto a target with out a scope.
    the M&P had a slightly tighter group when the same shooter worked each of the two stock weapons. My tweaked 10/22 had the tightest group of less than 4 inches (was expected), the M&P was out to 8 and the Stock 10/22 was right near 11. We used a piece of notebook paper to measure so all sizes are very approximate.

as for functionality with bulk ammunition, the M&P had fewer issues (FTF, FTE, etc) than the stock 10/22

Of course add-ons are more abundant with the 10/22 than this M&P right now. That may change of course. butMy Buds M&P needs a Picatany rail to be able to mount a scope, the 10/22 is pre-drilled (albiet cheaply)

hope this helps in your decision.

Curlyjoe

6. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you put a 10/22 and an M&P 15-22 on a table and and gave 10 shooters 500 rounds, I guarantee you that everyone would be waiting on shooting the M&P. Whenever I take mine to shoots, it is the gun everyone wants to get their hands on. But that's not what sold me on it. When I saw how easy it was to breakdown and clean, I immediately switched from looking at a Model 60 or a 10/22.

My M&P 15-22 is accurate, very easy to maintain, high capacity, and can be accessorized with any AR after-market toys. It's just an all around fantastic 22 and gets the most exercise of anything in my safe. I can't say enough good things about it.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Was shooting my ruger 10/22 takedown this weekend had two bx 25 mags. Both magazines are currently non functional after about 700 rounds. Im not sure what the exact issue is yet. I was using a butler creek mag loader which does occasionally dent the rounds as they are being loaded.

I will do a side by side accuracy test this weekend. Both guns like the cci blazer. I will do 25 rounds at 100yds open sights each gun.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Thank you for this.

9. AvidShooter123

AvidShooter123 New Member

I have both the Ruger 10-22 and S&W. Both are a blast to shoot. Easily put a thousand rounds down range in a single day. I personally like the Ruger for hunting small animals that pester the farm. The S&W is great for anything though. Both have millions of after market attachments. Hope this helps.

10. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Thank you curlyjoe

11. Kdub

Kdub New Member

If you want to spend the money s&w all the way. Nothing more needs to be said.

12. JustinM

JustinM New Member

Don't get either. The 10/22 is a classic but if you want the tactical look and a great fun gun get the mossberg tactical 22. I love mine. I've got 25 round mags and I rapid fire the **** out of it and have only had one FTE out of countless rounds. It was the round too not the gun. It had a burr on it. For 400-450 you could even get a good scope or deck it out a little.

image-2660308586.jpg

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Niteglock,

I like both the 10-22 and the M&P 22. I have not noticed any substantial difference in accuracy. They both are fine 22s. So the bottom line is it all depends on you preference as you stated you liked the tactical look. So with that said it would be the M&P 22.
    That Mossberg might not be a bad choice either but I have had no experience at all with it.

14. JustinM

JustinM New Member

I agree with that. I've shot all of them and the M&P shoots great. So does the colt but not two or three hundred dollars more good lol. The main difference is the higher priced ones parts like the manual ejection button works. On the mossberg it's just for show but I haven't needed it. They all come with adjustable buttstocks as far as I know so no one has any trouble shooting them. I'm 6'9 and it fits great.

15. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I got the m&p. Going to pick it up in about an hour or so. What are good parts to add to it. First rifle ever. I'm so excited. I really wanted an AR but I can't afford to shoot one. Hell, I can barely afford to shoot my nine mil. Lol. I was looking at the cheap mbus sights on eBay and an angle foregrip and biped. I'll get a scope soon but want to use iron sights for now. Anything else to get put on it? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: oh I forgot to add I bought 2 (35) round mags from midway for 50.00.

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Foregrip/bipod is very helpful.

17. niteglock

niteglock New Member

Anyone have experience with the cheap 20.00 magpul mbus sights? The ones made for airsoft. I know they aren't going to be like the expensive ones but does anyone have any and how do they like them. Also, what is a good bipod to buy for less than 35.00. And is the stick post foregrip better than an angled or vice versa. I also want a scope for long range shooting. But have absolutely NO experience with scopes so I don't know anything about them like what to look for when buying.

18. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......................

The SR 22 built on the 10/22 frame is far better. And my 12 year old can hit 2" metal silhouettes all day long at 100 yards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Does the sr22 accept 10/22 mags??

20. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Haven't tried. I'd assume not but there are conversion kits for the 10/22 so I'm sure they would work on the SR