ruger 10/22 or m&p-15/22???

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by potentialglock, Dec 28, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I can't decide which one to get. I want it to be a bit of a project gun over the next year or so where I make it a fun shooter and wring as much accuracy as I can get out of it.

2. string1946

string1946 New Member

I would suggest the Ruger 10-22

If its going to be an on going project there is limitless after market stuff for the Ruger. I know. I have 3 of them. :)

3. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Ruger, it is proven to be one of the best semi auto 22s for many years as far as reliability and as string said theres tons of aftermarket stuff if your into that sort of thing.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Ruger is accurate. Accessories are plentiful and affordable. My 10 22 is box stock. It shoots half inch groups at 50 yards with plain CCI round nose ammo. I don't know what you can do other than the trigger.

5. mag318

mag318 Member

If the proposed AWB makes it into law next year the choice will be made for you, as the S&W M&P15-22 will be banned.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. potentialglock

Supposedly the 10/22 might be too

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

Ruger 10 22

Another thing to consider is that if your going to try to make a target rifle out of it, the barrel on the Ruger is a snap to swap out. I have a .920" Shilen barrel on one of mine and a .920" Tactical Solutions SB-X barrel on another.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Even in the latest drafts of an AWB rifles firing 22 LR are exempt. The word is "if" we get an AWB. The media will make you think an AWB is all but passed. The facts are an AWB is a long way from passing. The draft that goes into committee is sure to be edited. The democrats haven't forgot 1994. The current AWB proposals are just that, proposals. They are not a law. They have a slim chance of being a law. If the democrats want to chase moderate democrats back into the republican party let them pass an AWB.

9. mag318

mag318 Member

John I hope you're right about 22s being exempt, did you see a full draft of the proposed bill? I too think it's passage is doubtful given Republican control of the house. We'll find out soon.
    I just read this morning that there will be a stand alone magazine ban bill introduced supposedly on the 1'st day of the new Congress.

10. climate17

climate17 New Member

I actually have both and this is my advise. If you want to really dissect every part and super charge the gun then accept no substitutes get the 10/22. If however you want a cheap training platform for your AR 15 than the M&p 15-22 is ok. But there are better choices in that department though too. The hk 145drs is much more weight comparable, but the bolt hold open feature doesn't function (it's a dummy). So pros and cons on each side. The 10/22 doesn't simulate an AR close enough for my purposes. So I opted for the M&P. That said my 10/22 is a much, much better gun in nearly every aspect. Hope this helps.

11. racer_x

racer_x New Member

You might look at the ruger sr22 a little bit of both worlds

12. potentialglock

I don't have an AR platform and don't plan to get one soon.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 10-22 and my wife has a 15-22. My wife loves the 15-22 mainly because the stock adjusts to her. I like it because she is learning how to shoot the AR. It is a great little gun and fun to shoot but not one to really modify. The 10-22 is much better suited to that. Just dont try to buy any high cap mags right now.

14. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Either one is a good choice I just personally like the 15-22 because it is a dedicated .22 ar.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

PG, personally i would go with the 10/22 because of the aftermarket support in making it an incredibiy accurate rifle. the right barrel and trigger group, a really good scope and some tinkering and you will have a rifle that shoots nothing but one ragged hole groups! IMO, the 10/22 has more potential at being more of a target rifle.

16. potentialglock

And this will sound silly but I have seen the M1 carbine kits and other similar kits. I think that'd be cool.......kinda like dressing up your gun. "What will my rifle wear to the range today?"

17. Kai

Kai New Member

My wife has a 10-22 and I have a 15-22.
    I shoot both and at 50 yards with a scope they are virtually equal in accuracy in my opinion. At 100 yards the Ruger 10-22 is more accurate than the 15-22. Perhaps it is my lack of skill...rather new to this...but I shoot both seated with a rest...a stable platform that relies less on my skills.

I like them both. They are both very reliable guns. I give the nod to the 15-22 for ease of take down for cleaning. It is easier to take it apart and clean. The Ruger is a tad lighter and also less expensive than the 15-22. The 15 is, to me, more fun to shoot.

You won't be disappointed with either.

18. TNFrank

TNFrank New Member

The 10/22 is such a versatile platform, you can make it just about anything you want, from mild to wild, plinking to target. The 15-22, on the other hand is just what it is and nothing more or nothing less. It'd be a great trainer for someone with an AR but IMHO you can do more with the 10/22 and it'd probably be a bit cheaper to get into right now too. JMHO, YMMV.