Ruger 10/22 or Henry lever 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Irishgiant215, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Irishgiant215

Irishgiant215 New Member

I am looking into getting a 22 rifle. I know the Henry would shoot any 22 (minus magnums). While the ruger 10/22 is just a solid gun. Money is tight now but I want to have a 22lr. I can't afford both. Which one should I get and why?

Thanks

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I've got both and the Henry would be my first choice.

3. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I've also got both and they are two entirely different things. If all you want is a nice shooter that feels "right" in the hands, the Henry will do the job. If you want to mod it and change it's appearance or function, then the 10/22 is a better choice. They aren't interchangeable, IMO.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I have had a 10/22 for many years. And done no mods to it. Great rifle just as it is.

I bought a Henry last spring. I enjoy it also.

I think the 10/22 is more fun, and recommend it.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Pretty much agree-
    The 10-22 is MUCH more versatile & cheaper to start with-
    You can start with a $200 great gun & upgrade as you can-
    A Henry will always be a $250 (basic) one shot-lever a round- shoot again nice fun gun-

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I also have both and they are both very good .22's but if it were me and money was tight I would have to think which one would be more versitile? The 10/22 has the advantage of semi auto, high capacity magazines with the ability to do a rapid reload. My Henry is slightly more accurate but the 10/22 is close enough to it that it could hit whatever the Henry could.

I would get the Ruger first and start saving for a Henry because they are good rifles too.

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

How old are you? If you are old enough to remember Lucas McCain, get the lever action. Hands down!

I am a retired pawnbroker, gun dealer. I retired owning levers and semiautomatic 10/22's. Both are good.

My first gun was purchased at a mercantile gas station many years ago. Lever action, 18 dollars. Fond memories plinking at a penny a round.

The Ruger is USA made yet I believe. The Henery is? ?? Brazil? ??

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Henrys motto, Made in America or not made at all. I have been considering the Varmint Express 17 or maybe the 22 mag, I don't need another 22lr but I'd like one of the mags and I'm a lefty so the lever gun makes sense

9. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Henry and Ruger are both American made. A friend of mine has a .17Hmr Henry and that is a cool rimfire levergun.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The Henry is a great rifle. I consider a 10/22 or a Model 60 marlin as must have guns. I consider the Henry to be a want to have gun. A semi automatic 22 is the most versatile gun you can own. I would get the 10/22 right now. You can get the Henry later if the 10/22 has't made you forget you wanted a Henry.

11. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Two totally different actions, I like the Henry,thinner profile. What rs said is quite true . If you want a semi, take a look at the Marlin 60 just as accurate out of the box as the Ruger,and in my opinion more so. I have all three and would sell the Rugers in a heart beat. I bought the Rugers before the Marlins and the Henry!:)Cliff.

12. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

Agree with all above. it comes down to what you want in the 22 rifle. I have a 10/22 that i did the full monte mod on. My buddy has a lever action 22 lr and he can shoot clover leafs all day long. I wanted to tweak mine he just wanted on to shoot.

yes the lever has the ability to shoot different rounds but my buddy has yet to shoot anything other than 22lr through it. I've yet to see a lever wear out parts, but have seen a 10/22 do it

both are fine rifles.

13. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

my brother loves his Henry. He's a plinker, doesn't hunt - 1 vote, Henry

I love my 10/22. I never stop being amazed at the accuracy of this rifle. And with a 25 rd magazine, nice close-range hd option - 1 vote, Ruger

looks like a tie.......