Ruger 10/22 or a tactical .22?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by krisko09, Jun 20, 2012.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I'm trying to decide whether to go with the classic 10/22 and deck it out accordingly or just break down and buy a M&P 15-22 or something similar. I'd like to use it for squirrel but i'm also a bit of a plinker. Thoughts?

2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Get the 10/22 and do both. That way you could switch it up if you ever get bord with it. It might even be alittle cheaper too. I know the colt m4 22 goes for about 500. The 10/22 would be some what less even after you got the other stock.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

3. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Get a sr22 then you can have both in one :D

4. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Looking for a rifle platform, not pistol.

5. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

do you want a zombie killer want to be? or a nice 50 to 100 yd rimfire?

6. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Oh i've got a zombie killer fund goin. Saving enough for a bushmaster acr 6.8. This is just gunna be a little plinker. No more than $400.

7. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Theres a sr22 ar style rifle. Look it up

8. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Don't know how i've never come across this before?

It's little out of my price range for what i'm wanting to use it for.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 10-22 is a great little rifle. They are a lot more accurate then they are given credit for. Good for plinking, squirrel or bunnies. I tried the custom route and went back to a plain old stock carbine. Mine has a TRS 25 on the receiver and I attached a scope base under the fore end for a bipod. My wife has an M&P 15-22 and it is nice but around $400. Best thing about it is the ease of cleaning. It breaks down just like an AR. The rails are handy if you want to attach a bunch of stuff but I dont like loading them up. Hers is equipped with a low power variable scope and a laser.

10. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Buy the s&w. I have both. I don't even bother with the Ruger anymore. The smith is just way more fun. I have the moe edition so its a flat top with a red dot and buis. It is a riot. It is currently my favorite gun to shoot. Even my buddies have admitted to the short coming of the Ruger when it comes to fun factor. Plus its extremely accurate.

11. rachilders

rachilders New Member

+1! I had a 10/22 for years. It was a fun gun and more than met my needs. However, it was stolen during a burglary and though I also have lever action and bolt action .22 rifles, I always wanted another semi-auto. A few years ago I finally decided to get another .22 semi auto rifle and after looking around decided on the S&W 15-22. I got it and I've never looked back. BTW, if you plan on buying a new 10/22 and making it "tactical", it's ultimately no more expensive than the S&W. By the time you add the cost of a new tactical style stock to the cost of the gun, you've made up the difference in price you may have initially saved.

12. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Just to let ya know I think all the tactical frames are polymer except the colt M4 22

So leaving it in a car on a hot day before or after shooting to get a bite to eat or whatever could be an issue. I just sold a M&P .22LR after I saw nutnfancy's same on youtube begin to have a sag not much but his sights were off just from an open air hot day and the weight of a bipod on the accessory rail causing a sag in the polymer frame. :/ Im going to get a nice 10/22 and keep the wood stock if I get a archangel just incase SHTF a hot day sagging or spacing any parts on the frame wont be an issue. But the colt M4 22 is metal frame. Hope this helps

13. dan01

dan01 New Member

The Umerex Colt (Walther) 22 cals, the Smith and Wesson M&P 22 cals and several other military look a like 22 cals have metal frames (receivers) barrels, and trigger housings......The stocks, grips, and fore guards are polymers......There may be other polymer parts, but the basic rifles are made of metals

The Colts and S&Ws are well made and dedicated 22 cal rifles and not cobbled together........I have both and really enjoy them...

I cannot see heat as a problem any more so than with any other types of rifles......Sag???..Even if the plastic did "sag" it would not cause the receiver and barrel to deform.....None of mine have sagged ;-)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  14. accessdenied01

accessdenied01 New Member

Hk 22 is a very good gun to consider

15. dan01

dan01 New Member

Accessdenied01, pease give us a rundown your HK 22.....How many rounds have you put through the rifle and how accurate is it?.....Please post a picture of your HK 22.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  16. PHILatDCMFirearmsSC

PHILatDCMFirearmsSC New Member

My Grandfather has the S&W 15-22 with a small scope on it extremely fun to shoot. can drive nails at 100 yards

17. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Not sure the price where u live but in Mich. I put this 10/22 together gun used 150 stock was 80 new scope was 60

Attached Files:

18. accessdenied01

accessdenied01 New Member

I have shoot roughly 1000 rounds through it and it makes 1 inch groups at 50 yards and 1.5 inch groups at 100. I say it is very accurate but the m&p 22 is a little more accurate I think and for the money your spending get a M&P or HK.

image-165174614.jpg

19. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of the 10/22. They've all been really accurate and the kids can shoot them all day long for no more than a few dollars.

You can make them really pretty too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. cakoo2008

cakoo2008 New Member

10/22 for sure. I love mine Its got a 50 rd mag and a huge scope. kinda looks like an AK with a stainless barrel and walnut stock.. I love it.....