Ruger 10/22 Lightweight Varmint Target

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by MOshooter, Apr 4, 2014.

1. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Last weekend I ordered a Ruger 10/22 Lightweight Varmint Target 22 rimfire rifle for my daughter. I just checked the tracking # and it's here!! Now just waiting for that call from my FFL to take possession and hand it over to my daughter as a gift,I'm so excited you'd think I was getting a new rifle! :D lol

Here's a catalog pic. of the Ruger 10/22 LVT

1237.jpg

We still need a scope.
    I've been researching scopes,even posted a thread in optics about rimfire scopes. After reading members input and zillions of reviews,I think I will order a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x40.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-ProStaff-Target-EFR-Rimfire-Scope-P51957.aspx

I know Nikon makes some nice glass,the efr target model had high owner reviews,to top it off Nikon has a instant 40.00 rebate on this scope until the first part of May,costing 149.00 after rebate.
    I've read the EFR Target w/the AO focuses down to 10 yds with very good target clarity,I just wish the reticle was Mil-Dot or BDC for target shooting longer distances.
    Does anyone here have one of the Nikon Prostaff EFR Target 3-9x40 scopes?

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

MOshooter!

Great choice on the Ruger 10-22 Rifle and the Nikon Scope. She will love the rifle and love shooting it! Three years ago I bought the grandkids all 10-22s for Christmas with scopes! Best money I ever spent! They love the rifles and have had hours of fun shooting them. And thank you for spending time with your daughter! GOOD DAD! You are to be commended!

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thanks Sniper03,

I think she will have a lot of fun with the Ruger 10/22 target plinking and hunting small game,i'm also looking forward to some Father daughter time at the shooting bench.

That's great Sniper,I'm sure the looks on the grandchildren was priceless when they unwrapped those presents,along with the hours of fun watching them enjoy those rifles,that's some awesome grandparenting Sniper,way to go! :cool:

And Thank you,i've tried to be good :D

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

great choice on the rifle! looks like a winner to me!:D

i'd shake your hand and buy you a beer if you were closer!:D

5. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thanks Axxe,
    I'm hoping we pick the rifle up tomorrow. I'm helping Dad tomorrow but might need to make a parts run? To the FFL's shop :D haha

6. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought my first Ruger 10/22 carbine in 1985. Best .22 on the market then, the best now. Zero that scope and you've got a little tack driver. My son and I are getting 1 inch groups at 100 yards with no modifications. Well done, you and your daughter will have years of enjoyment.

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Those Ruger 10/22s are some nice rimfire rifle. I bought a 10/22 the first year Ruger brought the Target 10/22 onto the market and was so impressed with the rifle,I bought my Son a 10/22 carbine many years ago.

You and your Son really have that 10/22 carbine dialed in,and sounds like a excellent rimfire with groups like that at 100 yds.,nice shooting there 7point62!

Thank you,I hope we get to pick up the rifle today? I'm really looking forward to this rifle,just to see the look on her face while she's unwrapping her Ruger 10/22.
    Thanks again

8. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Awesome congrats!!!

9. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Oops double post.

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thank you mopowerbmx,now if I can just get in touch with my FFL?

11. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Finally!

Monday we finally were able to get in touch with our FFL and picked up the Ruger 10/22 LVT.

I was going to wait and give this to my daughter after I purchased the scope,but I just couldn't wait for the scope? lol
    I just had to see that look on her face when my wife and I brought the boxed rifle into her room. When she saw the Ruger box those her eyes lit up,with a huge smile!!! Yes,well worth a Ruger 10/22 to see that smile. :)

My thoughts on the Ruger LVT

I like the 20" heavy tapered barrel,it really balances very nicely. The fit and finish is very nicely done by Ruger,the end of the the barrel is a bit sharp on the outside edge of the factory barrel. The LVT trigger is much better than I expected from the factory.

Now we just need to get that scope and some rings to see how this little 10/22 LVT can shoot.

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

12. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

Beautiful!!! I'm still trying to figure out my scope on my Target 10/22 but I think I will zero at 20 yards that seems to be the best. Then I'll put a cheat sheet inside my lens cover. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396991859.880532.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396991874.430081.jpg

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Mopower, what software were those charts printed from?

14. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I don't know. I googled it. Everyone I looked at, the numbers were almost the same. I just saved these two. I plan on testing them out soon.

15. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thanks mopowerbmx,

Congrats on the Target 10/22,i've had one since the first year production and it will shoot some tight groups with the right ammo.

That's a interesting chart,where did you find that?

16. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

I finally had some time and ammo to shoot today. I put about 150 through it before I got use to the trigger and to keep it steady. I made a sand bag out of a tube sock. This was my last group at 25 yards. Ten shots one flyer. I zeroed it in at 50 yards with quarter to half dollar groups. I didn't have the sock at 50. Honestly think I could do the same at 50. My neighbor came home so out of respect stop shooting. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1397772310.506978.jpg

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

You should have invited him over!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

18. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

mopower,
    Looks like you're dialing that Target into some nice tight groups. A good rest and sandbags makes a huge difference shooting for accuracy.
    Way to go!

The 10/22 Targets are some nice shooters out of the box,mine will shoot nice and tight as long as I do my part.

My Daughter has been so busy with graduation we haven't had time to do anything with her rifle.

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Last week the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR and Burris Zee rings(med) were delivered,we have everything set up on the rifle.

We've run into a bit of a set back,with this combination my daughter's having problems with scope alinement. Watching her shoulder the rifle it seems the scope's mounted higher than her natural cheek weld on the rifle,so I guess we will need to find some type of stock comb riser,any suggestion on a comb riser?
    For me the scope/rifle combination alinement's perfect,but it's not my rifle so we will need to come up with a solution.

I don't know if we'll ever shoot this rifle?,what's the deal with Proms and Teenagers? LOL
    I'm sure it was important when I was that age,but it's really getting in the way of trying this Ruger 10/22 LVT out ;) :p haha

IMG_2046.jpg
    IMG_2050.jpg