Ruger 10/22 FTE

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Commocarl, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I have a new all weather 10/22 and had several ejection problems on my first use on saturday. Out of about 100 rounds I had about 12 FTEs, only 2 were stovepipes, the rest the spent shell was just still in the receiver. I have 3 factory 10 round mags, and all of them had trouble. I used Federal bulk pack and Blazer bulk pack ammo as I wanted to try both jacketed and unjacketed rounds, and both gave issue. While cleaning it before my first outing I noticed the action was hard and gritty. I retracted the spring, cleaned the shaft then relubed the whole thing. The action felt alot better afterwards. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

2. smoooth308

smoooth308 New Member

Possibly the ejector but I might be wrong.
    Someone with more knowledge will chime in

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

What you probably needed to do first was a full-out field strip and cleaning...
    get ALL the leftover metal shavings/cosmoline/other gunk out...

With a new gun I'll usually sit on the couch and rack the slide 100-200 times while watching tv, then clean again after.

when you lube the gun, be sparing inside the barrel...and run dry patches thru until totally DRY...
    because Oil+Heat+Pressure=GLUE ;)

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It sounds like an extractor issue. You sure you put it back together right?
    Take a close look at the extractor.
    (did I really type ejector?)

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Brand new rifle right. You did take it down for a good solid cleaning and lubeing be very sure about the chamber . New rifle, buy a couple100 pack of quality ammo and run it thru next like CCI mini-mags. If you still have a problem it time to ether ,send it back for a tune up or install a after market extractor like from power custom. Also buy a dental pick to help with cleaning the bolt face and extractor recess areas as crud builds up. Many of us also will dril a 3/8" hole in the rear of the reciever to aid in clening from the camber end.
    Just shoot some faster harder recoiling rounds and if it runs well then test the bulk junk. May be nothing more than needing to break everthing in some.

6. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

With Ruger guns it is better to clean thoroughly before use. Like many point out it sounds like an extractor issue. Mine does not like the blazer a lot. It will shoot it but I woud get some FTEs or stovepipes. The mini mags work great as do the federals on mine. I have the takedown version.

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I just bought my Ruger 10/22 from Gander Mountain. I haven't shot it yet!!:(

8. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Hey all, thanks for all the tips and responses.

I didn't want to respond till I had something to report. I did field strip and clean the rifle before I used it. I have just field stripped and recleaned the rifle, all of it. Nothing looks out of place. I watched the Ruger disassembly/cleaning/reassembly videos and made shure the ejector was in the proper place on reassembly, I never removed the extractor during cleaning (never mentioned taking apart the bold assembly on the videos).

I exercised all the parts, extractor, bolt, bolt hold latch, hammer. all seem to be working well. I can see why some have suggested polishing the receiver, it feels kind of rough. What do you use for polishing? I didn't notice any excess trash from the previous oiling. I oiled it like I oil my mini, dab of oil on a rag then buff it across the parts. This last time, I put a small drop on my finger and used that to buff into the bolt, bolt handle assembly and what was left on the bore face. Nothing for the receiver (still don't know about that).

I am going to "air it out" again on saturday, so I think I will take hardluk1's advice and put some faster rounds through.

Oh, I use an Otis cleaning kit with a cable rod (got that because of the mini) I only pull it the way the bullet travels through the rifle.

9. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Fathead00, it is a wonderful little rifle, I am sure you will enjoy it.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

11. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

hey guys I have an update.

When I went to buy ammo they were cleaned out of most everything, so I couldn't get the cci mini mags. I bought some Winchester super X, pretty much the only thing on the shelf. There were stacks of Remmington which speaks volumes.

All 100 rounds of the Winchester went through flawlessly. I went through another 150 rounds alternating the Federal Bulk, and the CCI Blazer Bulk.
    I had 5 more FTE's

I am going to hold off on purchasing a new extractor for a bit and keep running the Winchester and some CCI mini mags through. See if it keeps improving.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  12. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Ruger's Official response to my problem

"Response:
    Try using high or hyper velocity ammunition. If the problem persists, let us know

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442"

You guys were dead on. Thanks again

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'd recommend a Volquartsen extractor. I'd also recommend getting a small metal rod to drop down the barrel if you can't get a casing out. I have one taped to my stock jic.

14. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I finally got some CCI Mini mags

200 CCI Mini Mags - 0 FTE
    120 Winchester M-22 - 1 FTE
    100 Federal Bulk Pack - 3 FTE

Looks like the more rounds I put through, the better it gets. I am happy with the out of the box accuracy. It is not a $2000 tack driver, but she is close enough for me.

I am confident that by the time I hit 1k rounds, it will fire anything. From my experience there is a break in period for the rifle, but she is a keeper.

Thanks again for all the help.

Carl

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  15. DukesDad

DukesDad New Member

My .02, I've got a lot of time on 10/22's and the only time I've ever had an issue (although its usually with feeding in the rotary mag) is with Federal Bulk pack ammo. I can neither confirm nor deny this, but I've head that Federal Bulk pack is loaded with "left over" powder, they take whatever powder they have with similar burn rates, put it in a hopper and load 'em. When I heard this I questioned it but then it was pointed out to me that if you listen when you're firing they'll go bang, BANG, Bang, bang, all sounding a little different which would lead to believe its true. Like I said just my two cents.

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have 5-.22's and Fed. 550 Bulk Box ammo is my go-to ammo for plinking at the range. I've fired tens of thousands of Fed. .22 rounds over the years without any problems whatsoever. I shoot at least one 550 box per range trip. There usually is one or two rounds per box that won't go bang, but that's to be expected. Nothing like the 10-15% failure rate of the Remington Golden Bullets.

I've also found that the Fed. 550 is surprisingly accurate for plinking ammo.. Here a few targets, all fired at 50 yards.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are through three different guns that are just every day .22's, nothing fancy. One is 70 y.o.

17. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

i have the same issue with federal. i replaced my trigger group with a Volquartzen 2000 assembly. Since then, i get FTE on federal ammo. it turns out that i had been using the federal champion and inadvertantly bought one of their other bricks. Champion did not have issues but their other flavors did. before the modification, my 10/22 ate everything that i fed it. No one on other forums were able to help so far, but a local smitty had me polish the chamber (debur) and verify that the extractor pin was in line with the centerline of the rifle and not bent outward. that helped lots, down to one or two FTE's per brick now which is livable for me.

My opinions (IMO)

Clean, polish the chamber. an old timer had me do this on another 22lr when it had issues. same suggestion as my local smitty. no too much but polish in the direction of travel to debur with high grit paper 400+. also polish the pivot point of the extractor "clip" that goes over the case for the same reasons.

check with an empty casing and manually eject the case. watch its trajectory. if the case ejects cleanly at a slow pace, my smitty suggested the polishing and then checking the recoil springs and then the angle of the extractor pin in relation to the centerline of the rifle.

basically you are at the poin of finding a smitty that specializes in 10/22's or researching and watching smity videos until you hit on a solution that you can perform yourself.

hope all of this helps and good luck.

18. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Curlyjoe_99
    I have read a bit about 10/22's lately. From some of the posts I have read, the spring tension is diffrent on the aftermarket stuff.
    you could try to replace the aftermarket springs with the originals. This was suggested at rimfire central.
    Mine is still stock, so I don't have first hand knowledge.

19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

This is true. Whether you're replacing the extractor or dropping in a new target hammer, always reuse the Ruger springs. I've done this with all my new replacement parts and it's worked out very well for me.