Rug sp101 sight

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by capto56, Jan 22, 2013.

1. capto56

capto56 New Member

I've read through all of the sp101 threads and haven't seen one discussing the sights. I have been to the range twice since I have bought mine. It's a .357 with a 2 1/4" barrel.

When aiming down range (forgive me if I don't use proper terminology) I place the front sight dead center and flush with the rear sights. It consistently shoots about 7" high. I have to lower the front sight to the point that I just can't see it to be able to shoot on center.

Any suggestions? I'm taking my cpl training class in a month and would like to be somewhat competent with this gun before then. Thanks for any input

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Sounds like you should change the distance of the target or try a 6 o'clock hold and see if that helps.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine shoots to center with the same hold. You might be breaking your wrist which will push the shot up.

Attached Files:

4. capto56

capto56 New Member

What's 6 o'clock hold? Sorry, fairly new to handgun shooting.

And what do you mean jtj that yours shoots the same? That you also have to compensate that severely?

I've shot at several distances with a variety of different types of ammunition, .38, .38 sp, and .357. All shoot the same consistently.

I'm considering a new front sight. I've been researching that a little bit.

5. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Six o'clock hold refers to all open sights...both rifles and handguns. Imagine your target as a clock. Hold the sights on six o'clock to hit the bullseye. The idea is to be able to see your target by setting the sights below it.

6. capto56

capto56 New Member

Huh, never heard of that. And that's intentional? I'll give it a shot (no pun intended) if I make it out to the range before my class.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i dont know about the sp101. but i know my ruger single six rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. just something to check.

8. capto56

capto56 New Member

I read a recent review that said the 4.5" sp101 was adjustable. But I've read a different one that says the 2.25" isn't. I'll have to give ruger a call and see what they suggest.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

90% certain it is you and not the gun. There are all kinds of things you can be doing with your grip that you will not notice that will adversely affect point of impact.

Do a search on "diagnostic target" and you'll find all kinds of target images to help you out.

10. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

The 4.20 sp101 is the only one with adjustable rear sights, yours has the trench sights. That's really odd that it's shooting that high above point of aim. Have you let more experienced shooters test it out? I'm not saying you aren't a good shot with it, but I would try that before anything else.

EDIT: Or next time you're shooting leave one chamber empty when loading it. That's one of the best ways to find out if it's the shooter or the gun.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  11. capto56

capto56 New Member

You could both be right. Like I've stated, I'm fairly new with handguns. I shoot fairly well with my p226, but that one doesn't have much kick to it like the sp101.

I haven't let anyone else shoot it yet. I will have to research how to hold it correctly. It's a pretty small grip on the gun. I very well could be handling it incorrectly. Thanks for the input.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Just look at it. If there 2 screws. One on top. 1 on the side it's adjustable

13. ScottA

Can't overemphasize this.

14. capto56

capto56 New Member

You're saying to do this so that I catch myself pulling up without a round being fired?

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not say it shoots the same. I said mine shoot to CENTER with the same hold. Shoots to point of aim. Read my post a little closer. It is your grip and trigger control that are the problem. Your wrist is breaking and allowing the barrel to rise to much on recoil.

16. capto56

capto56 New Member

Gotchya, I was replying and tryin to recall what you said. It does sound like my grip is the problem. I'm going to research how to hold this thing before I shoot next

17. ScottA

It's a way to see if you are flinching or other unconcious action when pulling the trigger. Load up 4 chambers, spin the cylinder and shut it. NO PEEKING.

Fire through all 5 rounds. The empty chamber will surprise you and you'll see very easily if you have a bad habit developing.

18. capto56

capto56 New Member

I imagine I already do. I will do some dry firing tonight when I get home to check. I guess I never really thought about it.

I also read somewhere that the position of your trigger finger on the trigger affects your smoothness of the pull. I think that could be my problem

19. ScottA

I never realized how complicated it was to pull a trigger until YouTube.

20. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Just to be clear, this is not the same as what I suggested. Dry firing at home is an excellent way to practice your trigger pull, but you won't be able to catch yourself flinching until you're actually shooting live rounds with one empty chamber.

However, when you do dry fire at home try placing coin on the top of the barrel. Practice your full trigger pull this way without moving the coin.