Ruck Up!!!! Pogey Bait

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Benning Boy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

The mission: You're gonna march 100 miles in four days.

You have the requisite equipment packed in your ruck ( backpack ), and you have space for one Pogey Bait item.

I'm not sure where the term originated, but Pogey Bait is essentially whatever junk food you choose to carry.

For our purposes, you have the space equal to half a loaf of bread, and trust me, that's generous.

Whatcha eatin', maggots?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Peanut butter and grape jam. Who needs bread?

3. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Twinkies just got to have them, :p and they have a longer shelf life than most nuclear reactor control rods. :D Love um... Love um... Love um...

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Beef jerky, Slim Jims and dried fruit. :cool:

Jack

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Peanut M&M's. Save for beer which I would not want on a multi day hike, they are the best treat one can ask for.

4 days though? I have a brother in-law in-law who does ultra marathons and did 50 miles in about 10 hours. He's crazy of course and I am amazed at what he is capable of.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Almost quoted for truth. I love me some good beef jerky!

I could care less about the slim jims. :(

I would replace the dried fruits with a bottle of Physllium Husks, transferred to a ziploc bag....

JD

7. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Physllium Husks, nice touch, maybe some unsalted pumpkin or sunflower seeds, also. :)

Jack

8. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

You LOVE the beef...
    :eek:

Yeah my vote is peanut M&Ms. I have gone the jerky route before, but somehow those little candy fellers really hit the spot. But a half bread loaf bag...good gawd! :p

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

For me, Snicker candy bars!! I can't live without them little devils!

Pogey Bait is what my Cheif used to call snacks we bought at the ships store. I don't know the origin either!!

10. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Beef jerky and trail mix.

I'd also put some of that camel pack elixer mix in my camel pack, it's good ****.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Pogey bait originated from the acronym POG (Person other than a grunt) and the bait is what Infantry types use to catch POGs and do mean combat arms stuff to 'em.

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Guys,,, what is it did you guys grow up under a rock or waaaaaay out in the country???? Ether that or you are to damn young to remember.

“Pogey Bait” is what you use to lure some “Pogey” into the sack. “Pogey” is a old military term for Pu__y.

And believe me you are not going to lure any to your bed with beef jerky or M&M’s except you Skull, they say that’s all you have anyway….. beef jerky.

Now Twinkies, those golden pieces of fruit from the God’s, are always a irresistible lure for “Pogey”.

12. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

A block of Cabot sharp Cheddar encrusted with pistachios.

13. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

You should have been in the bar the night my dad was telling my mom and my aunt about what they had for Sunday dinners when he was in the Navy. Let's just say that it was a veteranarianical term for an equine body part not associated with the mare, and described cold cuts.

14. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Yea...Too young to remember! God, I'm laughin' so friggin' hard I can harldy type!!

Maybe to drunk to remember, most of the time!! :D

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Jerkey and Trail mix with M&M's. and a 50rd box of 500 smith along with the matching pistol.

16. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Upon further research, because s**t like this bugs me, apparently the Marines coined it, Pogey was Chinese for prostitute. I guess a Hershey bar went a long way in China.

Gork slays me.:D

17. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Beer, its what's for lunch!

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Benning. I will add that to my vast storehouse of little known and mostly useless information in my brain for that off chance I am in "Cash Cab" and get that question.

19. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Glad to help. I don't know about you, but sometimes this stuff keeps me up at night.

20. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Damnit. I hate being wrong.

Oh well, I had some magnificent BS in there.