Rubber grips for a 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Kamarathin, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Kamarathin

Kamarathin New Member

Hello all,

I'm going to acquire a mil spec 1911 in the next few months from a friend and I was wondering if you could recommend some good shock absorbing grips.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I dont know about shock absorbing. But I have a hogue with the finger grooves on it. It is great for always having the same grip when you draw.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a friend that wanted to change out his grips,and i happened to have a set of pachmayr grips laying around. "1911 on right"

ForumRunner_20120325_131330.jpg

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

IMHO, recoil absorption is typically not that big of an issue with 1911s. Unless you've had a .460 Rowland built. Magnum revolvers on the other hand...
    I stuck some Hogue rubber grip panels on my Springfield Trophy match.
    I bought them for two reasons:
    1. I like the "grippyness" provided by Rubber grips.
    2. They were ridiculously cheap, and I'd rather ding them up vs. the attractive grips that came with it.
    Try some of the different Hogue offerings. They are all pretty inexpensive, so experimentation is cheap.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Is the "mil spec 1911" you're getting an all-steel gun?

If answer is yes; then, What recoil?

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

The all metal construction of the 1911 is one of the great things about it, the weight and the balance is all there. JMB knew exactly what he was doing, Its like what heaven feels like in gun form. My 1911 has considerably less recoil than my G31 .357sig does, your decision in grips will have no factor in recoil.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I really don't know why recoil pain would be an issue with the Colt 1911. There can be some problems with grip safety pinch. In that case you may need a "Beaver Tail". I often use a Colt with wrap around rubber grips to protect the guns butt while riding. Problem with rubber grips you are unable to shift your grip when drawing the gun. If you grab the gun wrong a smooth grip will allow a shift as the gun comes up.:D

9. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Don't think anyone could have said it better

10. fudo

fudo New Member

I have Pachmyr Signature grips AND rubber covered mainspring housing on my carry 1911's. I like the secure grip that I get. I have Ivory and Coco Bolo on my BBQ guns.

11. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I have those same grips, which are Hogue btw. Definitely recommended if you want a relatively slim profile, except for the palm swell. The palm swell makes it pretty tough to grab wrong.

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

My bad, i have a set of pachmayrs to somewhere that look almost identical. Im always getting them mixed up :-(

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I love my hogues, they feel great. I dont really have to worry about sweaty plams. I feel it does help with accuracy. Since your forced to hold it the same way everytime you shoot it works on your mussle familiarity so you know witch way to hold it

14. rab

rab New Member

I have Hogue's w/finger grooves, on my 1911. Love 'em! I used to shoot with gloves on to avoid getting bitten. I improved and became consistent with my grip and don't need them any more. They tell me that this is one of the most important parts of good shooting. I don't get bitten any more. When I do, it means sloppy form.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  15. DON1937

DON1937 New Member

I have the same grips on my Springfield and Rock Island and they fit my hand perfectly. I'm looking for a pair for my Colt New Agent but haven't found any yet.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Those are the same grips I use. I really like them. They dont look as cool as wood. But they sure do give a great non slip grip.

17. shootah45

shootah45 New Member

Packmyer ( spelling) grips are great especially on a 1911

18. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Grips for 1911

I am an expert shot with my Colt Gold Cup National match .45ACP and have been shooting for over 40 years. Last week I put the one piece Hogue grips with finger grooves on my Colt 1911. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

The gun feels like it is glued to my hand. Extremly comfortable and easier to control. It improved my shooting.

JP

19. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Love the Hogue grips on my 1911. They improved grip and accuracy. It also reduced muzzle flip and the vibration from recoil.

My Kimber Custom Combat Carry .45acp with officers grip. [​IMG]

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I had a set of standard Pachmayr Grips on one of my Colt Gold Cup and they were real nice for a standard type grip. However I like the Hague's on Rab's Pistol those look and I am sure they feel great.