Rubber grips for a 150 prefix Ruger Security Six

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mesinge2, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Finally, I have rubber grips for a 150 prefix Ruger Security Six!

For those of you that know me, you know that I have quite an obsession with the Security Six revolvers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/i-need-help-somebody-stop-me-38415/). My latest acquisition is a older 150 prefix blued model and if your unfamiliar with this model it has a flared grip frame that is hard to fid grips for as no one currently makes grips for the 150 pre-fix guns. Jay Scott used to make a pair of grips they fit both the 150 and 151 pre-fix guns although they are walnut and not rubber. You can still find them on on e-bay or Gun Broker occasionally. The easiest way to tell if the fit both pre-fix guns is they have two holes for the grip pin and the bottom slightly flares out.

I have been looking for a set for a while but can't find one. So I got creative and started experimenting with different set of rubber grips. I wanted the trigger guard to stop wacking into my finger. Well, after a looong search, I found a winner!

I altered some Pachmayr presentation grips made for a Ruger Redhawk and they, surprisingly, fit remarkably well.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

My dad has a stainless Security Six with Pachmayr grips that are identical to that.
    Oh how I love Ruger wheel guns:D

3. Waindan

Waindan New Member

I am a new member, as well as a new handgun owner. For my very first purchase, I chose a Security Six with a SN that starts with 150. I was looking for grips for it, but it seems finding the Ark of the Covenant may be easier. I would love to try out your grip solution, but I cannot seem to view the pics. Also, do you have the name of those grips you did buy?
    I can see why you love these guns. Absolutely beautiful.

4. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

..........PM sent

5. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I love my Security Six also. I just looked and it's a 160 series. I have the Pachmayr Grippers on it which I love. I never knew the early grip frames were different. I put a rib on mine right after I bought it and like the look. This was over 20 years ago and it has never come off even though it's epoxied on! Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

6. Waindan

Waindan New Member

Just simply beautiful guns. Nice pic!

7. chewchew

chewchew New Member

• This one is in my shrine. Not for sale or for shooting. This gun won many event years ago. The shooter died in an airplane on 911.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. chewchew

chewchew New Member