RRA Rock River Arms LAR 8 compatibility questions.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by AgentTikki, Nov 14, 2012.

1. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Got a friend that wants to upgrade his LAR8 charging handle. I saw that BCM's 7.62 model specific says that the RRA models are not compatible with it.

Anyone know of a a large latch option CH that will work on this platform?

As long as I have your ear, with Magpul 308 mags work on this rifle?

Thanks In Advanced!

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the lar8 cannot use pmags, it uses fal mags.

badger tactical makes an extended latch that fits them. cant comment on the quality of badger latches ive never even seen one in person

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have replaced a couple of standard latches with Badger Tactical extended latches. The Badger Tac. latches are great for use under a scope on an AR.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The LAR 8 suffers from being another unique .308 AR. I'd ask RRA if it will work. IF BCM says it won't work on the LAR-8 then I wouldn't gamble on it. One of thse frustrating things about .308 ARs is the lack of standardization.

Teh thing that mad the LAR-8 appealing was the ability to use inexpensive and plentiful FAL mags. So they don't get to benefit from P-mag availability. The PMAG compatable .308s are the DPMS, Knights Armament, LaRue, and original Armalite AR-10 before the reintroduction and switch to using modified M-14 mags.

5. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Add to the list the new Colt LE 901-16s; it comes with two PMAGs, and the two extra I bought off the shelf fit & feed perfectly.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Ive seen reports that FAL most fal mags dont even work on the LAR 8. Oh well, at least I didnt buy it....

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats exactly why its taken me so long to settle on a semi auto 308. i would still be dithering if it wasnt for the election results. ive been down the m1a route twice and didnt have good results either time. ive shot a lot of different ar10 all were accurate but none really impressed me.

so many proprietary things. its just a shame they all dont get together and make a standard pattern gun *sigh*

8. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Check out the Colt LE-901. I picked one up, shot it a couple times and love it. I put a Nikon M308 scope on it.

Once they produce the adapter (it's in every review and article, but apparently not in general production), it'll take "any MILSPEC" upper with just a change of the buffer spring.

It takes Magpull mags (it comes with two), and aside from the bigger mags and bore, it's pure Colt AR. What's different, I guess it the upper is "monolithic" (milled from one piece of stock), and there's native ambi mag and bolt buttons.

They were pretty rare for a while, but the local gun shop got six in (one of which I now own), and they say there's more in the pipe without too much delay.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Why do have to change the buffer spring?

10. scottmac

scottmac New Member

The .308 spring is stronger than the 5.56 spring. You change the spring with the upper.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

So, lemme get this straight. Colt doesnt provide the mag adapter? You have to purchase it seperately?

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As JonM and the guys have stated. All of the ARs in 308 and the calibers that require the larger receiver are not compatible with the other manufacturers ARs in 308. As Jon mentioned the Badger Tac Latches are a good product and I have used them for years. The only thing that I am aware that is compatible regarding the Rock River AR-15 parts is the 2 Stage RRA AR-15 Trigger will also fit into the Rock River LAR-8 and the Armalite AR-10 308 rifles. Other than that noting is compatible between the manufacturers. Excluding some accessories. That is also why Rock River went with the FN Inch or Metric 7.62X51 Mags so it would not be proprietary and the owners could get them from various sources and at a reasonable price. Although the Inch mags seem to work best across the board. If Metric Mags are purchased be sure they are Mil-Spec Metrics.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Apparently not. Mine came in a sealed box, there was no adapter. There are none listed in the Colt parts price list (web site), there are none listed for sale anywhere that Google can find.

When I get a chance, I'll give them a call and find out when they will have them and how much they cost.

It's more then a mag adapter; it provide proper fit & position for the upper. The Kit also includes (or, so I'm told) the 5.56 buffer/recoil spring too.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Thank you for the info, I will relay this!

Much appreciated!:D

15. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I called Colt a couple days ago and asked if / when the adapter kit (adapter, and buffer parts) would be available.

The response I got from the Customer Service person was that they are in production, should be available "soon," and current owners "might" get their kit at no charge (he would have to escalate the call to a manager who would make that decision).

He wasn't sure if they would be included with new rifles or not.

As an update, I've taken mine to an indoor 50yd range a couple times... it's been a tack driver (albeit at only 50 yds). I've also recently added a Nikon M-308 scope, which has also been a pleasure to use, a Hogue grip, and a folding fore-grip.