RRA POLY 1911 - Best ever or Greatest ever!?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gloves, May 6, 2012.

1. Best 1911 Ever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Greatest 1911 Ever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ...

20.0%
  4. John Moses Browning is rolling in his grave

80.0%
  1. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Just saw an ad for this in my G & A mag.

[​IMG]

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It's different..... I think I will always love the all metal. I love that heft, not sure if I would like that. As far as performance from them, I bet it would be fine.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wish they offered it in a steel frame. course the beaver tail grip safety would have to go...

im not sure the purpose of the polyframe in a 1911 full size. its not the weight thats the real issue with a gun that big its the slide length.

1911 already have some strong felt recoil due to the slim backstrap area. reducing weight makes it worse. the more felt recoil the slower the gun is to get back on target for the next shot. my opinion reducing the weight of a full size combat 1911 is a bad thing not a good thing.

my xdm have a wider frame which distributes the recoil better across the palm making follow shots extremely fast even though its a poly gun. my steel 1911's weigh more but are slower for me since the recoil impulse is harder to deal with

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. Gloves

Gloves New Member

I think they were just trying to come up with a less expensive way to produce a 1911 and pad their margins. This was the only idea they came up with. These better not cost more than $550. As far as recoil, look at the FN 57 pistol... All polymer and it shoots miniature rifle rounds. (Note: i've never shot it)

RRA, get some real ideas.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

even at $550 i would spend that on a RIA 1911. it's all steel, and seems to have a good reputation and just the other day was looking at one in the store, not bad looking pistol and my LGS had it priced at $529, NIB. i would buy a RRA rifles, but personally, i wouldn't buy that 1911 from them.

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Agreed, for that price I would spring $50 more. Get an SA mil spec.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It may have RRA on the slide, but that makes it look like a RIA.

8. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

If these guns are even close to what the older models are in quality I'll get one for sure. Would make a great truck or woods gun. I'm a fan of all steel guns but this one I want to try.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

I already have the SA Milspec, so I'd the price is right on this one, I'll be getting it one day....

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I don't do polls but i just say no to poly 1911's-
    I have poly guns but my 1911's are steel as JMB intended :cool:

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Polymer and Parkerizing.....two of my least favorite things. :(

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Blashpemy!!! ;)
    The thing I love about parkerizing, as I told someone else, fifty years from now my gun will tell my story, the same way I look at my mosin and my Enfield and wonder where the scratches, nicks, and dings came from. Mine will be well worn, with the imprint of the places I've been and the things I've done. Literally writing my history in the steel's finish. Then when my son has it, his history will be added to mine. And then my grandson's. Many people don't feel that way, and want their guns to stay as beautiful as the day they left the factory. That's fine, its just not for me, that's why I like parkerizing, and I don't mind scratches, dings, or nicks, as long as its still functional and reliably so.

Polymer? Yeah there's no romance there.

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

2 pictures = 2,000 words ;)

Cane- I HAVE to save that 2nd pic

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

It's different for an actual military firearm. There is actual historic value to the condition of the gun. Current production parkerized guns are a totally different subject. I want my my children, grandchildren, etc to look at my guns and imagine the history of my guns too. But I don't think I need to beat them all to heck to envision a history. I don't need an idiot scratch on my 1911s to give my grandkids something to remember how their grandpa didn't know how to correctly reassemble his gun. I don't want a bunch of scratches on my guns for my grandkids to think, "man, grandpa sure was rough on his guns". I shoot the heck out of almost all of my guns, but I do everything in my power to keep them looking brand new. I want my grandkids to say "man, imagine all the rounds grandpa shot through this gun and it STILL looks brand new". That's just my take on my own personal guns.

Nothing at all wrong with parkerizing on historical weapons. I just don't like it on current production stuff.

15. Gloves

Gloves New Member

What's next, polymer magazines? Double Stacks? .22 conversion kits!?

Meh, i'm sure it'll be a fine gun. I just don't want to be "that guy" at the range.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Olympus, rest assured it will be taken care of very well. I am hard on almost everything i own, but not because I want to beat the hell out of it for the fun of it, but because everything I own gets used heavily. I haven't idiot scratched my gun, but that doesn't mean I won't one day while being careless. My grandchildren will be able too look at mine and say "damn that gun's been through hell and back just like the old man. How much you wanna bet it still works flawlessly?"

17. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I love looking at my grandpa's colt and wondering what all it has seen. But when it was carried it was to save his life and countless other americans beside him, so it is a little worn. I dont mind the parkerize and i want my grand kids to say this was grandpa's and he took care of his guns.
    1911's should not be poly imo it just takes the history of rhe weapon away, new or used. Do u honestly think colt will ever have a poly 1911, i havent ever heard of one. Just my 2 cents means nothing to anyone but me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to shoot a 25 oz empty and 32 oz loaded 1911. My wife even shot it. My G36 weighs 20 oz empty and 27 oz loaded. The poly frame reduces the weight by 7 oz on the full size 1911. I would like to see it in an officers model. Yes the extra weight makes it easier to shoot but it also makes it harder to carry. The 1911 was designed as a military weapon using the materials available at the time. Browning was an inventor and I believe if he were around he would be very interested in the newer materials we have today. Some of you have him locked into the technology of 100 years ago.
    With care and refurbishing a steel 1911 is probably capable of 200k rounds. An aluminum frame wont come close to that. A poly frame with steel insert will probably be somewhere in between. A lot of people can't or wont carry a 39 - 46 oz gun and a lot wont be able to handle a light weight 45. I know I hurt my hand a while back and thought I would have to sell my G36 but I am back to shooting it. I would love to have a 20-21 oz 1911. That would make it 27-28 oz loaded.