RRA Interesting Info

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JonM, Jul 26, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

admitadly im a little bit of a RRA fan. i was curious about where they get some of their stuff and after a quick web search found this:

*excerpt from a longer article* Rock River Arms Quality Review

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Interesting, JonM! Can't say I'm a fan of RRA but that's good stuff...

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I'm starting to think RRA makes a nice range/bench AR. They seem to get good reviews on accuracy.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

RRA has got my vote.

5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Quentin, what is it about RRA you don't care for? I've narrowed my search for a complete upper to RRA and Armalite for a 16" 1:9, A4 - mid-length in 5.56. :confused:

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I know many people here think a lot of RRA so I'm not trying to trash RRA but it seems to me you can get so much more for about the same money. Just looking at their midlength uppers you have to pay $40 extra for chrome lined and you can't get 1:7 twist. I don't have confidence in their BCG because it's an unknown and their barrels are very heavy (like ArmaLite). I know they sell a LW barrel but they don't seem to offer it in other than 1:9. Very easy to get the wrong thing.

I have an ArmaLite upper and it's decent but pales in comparison to my Daniel Defense LW midlength which is about 1 pound lighter and meets or exceeds military specs. Both came in right about $500 but I got more for my money with DD. BCM of course is a great choice and for those trying to save money I'd look at PSA or Spikes.

Now if you don't want an AR that leans heavily to personal protection then brands like ArmaLite, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and S&W are worth investigating if the price is right. But for a serious rifle, I couldn't endorse one of those companies when they haven't bothered to respond to repeated attempts to provide information for the new M4 comparison chart. I can only assume there's a good reason they don't want to share their specs.

So it seems much like buying a pig in a poke, a home brewed AR at a gun show or a PC with undisclosed components. Why do it when reputable vendors are falling all over themselves selling good products with known components. And telling you exactly what goes in to their rifles.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

That is not trashing them. That is stating your opinion based on facts you found.

I myself LOVE RRA.

Mine will like a house a fire. It out shoots my Remington 700 any day of the week.

It is all on what you like. I got my RRA ( A Predator Pursuit Rifle) for under $1k.

It is all on what you like and what you want. I wanted a lighter weight Varmint rifle that was highly accurate.

You don't need a lot of accuracy in a CQB rifle. You need a light weight quick handling rifle that is ultra reliable.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Reference the Bench Rifle question. I do know that the RRA 20" Varmint Rifles I have had have been 1/4 MOA Rifles at 100 yards. Both were 1:8 Twist and even shooting the 55 gr. BT Bullets. Normally they would perform better with a little heavier bullet but they did just fine with the 55's. Where RRA exceed is the specifications and quality of parts they demand from their suppliers. Some of their suppliers run RRA Parts on machines that belong to RRA. If the standards are not met guess who losses the machine? That is another story.

9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Quentin, where do you find the DD's for $500. I went looking and couldn't find anything for much under $900 just for a complete upper. You must have a secret "in" somewhere if you can get them for $500. ;)

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Quentin and I got in on a deal from SmartGunner.com.

I ended up w/ a DD lightweight upper, DD RIS II rail, properly inspected BCG, DD stripped lower, BattleComp 1.5 muzzle device (pinned), and rail tool for $1k. The rail itself is almost $400, lower $125, BCG $157, and $155 for the muzzle device. Right there you're looking at $837 making the upper itself only $163. Thats a hell of a deal on a top of the line upper.

Edit: The low profile gas block is pinned as opposed to set screw like some others.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Like mjkeat said we both took advantage of an incredible DD deal at smartgunner.com last year. I went plain jane and bought a LW 16" CHF midlength upper and charging handle for $390 with free shipping. I had a DD BCG already but could have bought one for $120 with the upper. I had standard midlength handguards but chose the MOE instead. So it was a little more than $500 but for a chrome lined hammer forged barrel of that quality you couldn't beat it. I certainly didn't back in 2009 with the $500 ArmaLite upper and that's about what it sells for today.

Smartgunner's price has gone up now, $409 for the stripped upper I got. http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-GOVT-M-STR-URG-1.aspx
    And there are other high quality choices at the $500 price point if you don't get a rail.

ETA:
    Apologies to JonM, we've drifted off topic.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  12. JonM

JonM Moderator

No worries never know where good.info leads.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

I was looking through the catalog that rra sent with my nm upper and they offer a 14.5 inch pencil m4 profile chrome lined chrome chamber barrel in 1:7. Of course you would need a full auto or sbr license.

But 14.5 is the correct barrel length for a m4 carbine.

14. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Awesome thanks for the link, I'll go look at smartgunner.com :)

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Alas it's out of stock now. Hopefully they have something in stock that interests you. For the last few months it's been hard to get uppers from DD or BCM.

This is a better link since at the same price it allows you to select from carbine and midlength barrels in different lengths:

Daniel Defense Custom (Stripped - No Rail) Upper Receiver Group

I notice that you can add a MOE stock which is hard to beat for the money. And of course you need a BCG and charging handle, the BCM Gunslinger #4 is a great choice (if SG sells it).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  16. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

The brothers Larson were NEVER partners with Les Baer. That is an out and out fabrication. They were employed as gunsmiths who thought there work was better than it actually was and were terminated. Les Baer lives with the only person who has EVER been his partner and She is very smart woman.:eek:

They build nice, reliable AR format rifles...that's why they got the DEA contract.
    :D

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

so your saying that they willfully lie about that in their preface in the rra catalogue... got a source that they were merely employees of les baer??

one would think 20 odd years of that baer would have said something by now. i seriously dont think the head armourer of springfield armory would just give that up and go work as an assembler for a then no name gun company.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  18. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Since I've been on here, I know you shouldn't argue with Jon, cause he knows his stuff. And if I were the head armorer at Springfield, I would die in that position or retire from position. My thoughts are, they make the best 1911, period, and according to my dad, the m 14 is one of the best rifles ever made, it kept him alive and untouched in the army rifle matches, Korean war and Vietnam war.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

... my uncle had an M16 in Korea too! :D