Firearms Talk banner

Rotating bolt?

516 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Rex in OTZ 
#1 ·
Earlier I read an article talking about how straight blowback for rifles wouldn't be practical. Which is how we got to rotating bolts and locking mechanisms and all that good stuff.

But my question is, how does the gas work with a rotating bolt? Why is it the gas the unlocks the bolt and not the recoil from the discharge?

And for simplicity I was trying to think about it in an AK style of bolt and gas tube.

#2 · (Edited)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FaodiNkTO...0/zPIKPwkLqWU/s1600/ar15+-+gasimpingement.gif

And you have delayed blowback types, which lock/restrain the bolt long enough for the cartridge to reach its peak pressure during discharge.
If it didnt itd be out of battery the cartridge would be unsupported during discharge and damage your firearm.

The defining lockup feature of any weapon short of blowback is without a impulse of some sort to unlock the bolt assembly, it should stay locked while firing the cartridge, so in essence its basicly a straight pull rifle if that unlocking impulse is absent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.