rossi

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jjfuller1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

where does a rossi .38 snub nose fall into. reliable, okay shooter? or junk like jennings and others?

2. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I used to have a rossi 357 snubbie. I liked it, went bang every time and was very accurate for a snubnose. I was actually better with it than I am my 1911

3. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

Rossi is owned by Taurus. They are just like a Taurus. A well made, low cost, reliable revolver. I wouldn't think twice about trusting a Rossi to save my life.

4. levelcross

levelcross New Member

My uncle has an older Rossi, pretty nice gun for the price...way above a Jennings. I wish the gangs would start carrying Jennings, POS deserves a POJ.

5. mcb

mcb New Member

My dad has a 38 snubby and 6" 357 and swears by both.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Cool. Next is recoil. I've only shot full size 357s. How does a snubby 38 compare? Lookin at it for the wifey. She just shot my .40 and liked it but wants a revolver

7. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

Recoil on a 38 shouldn't be bad. A 357 might be a bit much. Find a gun store than will let her rent or test fire a used one. That's the best way to see if she can handle it

8. gravymonkey

gravymonkey New Member

My 1st and only gun is a Rossi .357 snub nose. Didn't think much of it's accuracy until I got some pointers and now I'm shooting much better with it. I like it a lot so far. I should also say that I've only shot with .38 shells.

9. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

A was actually better with my snubby than I am with my commander size 1911

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Many years ago, the quality of Rossi.......well, left some room for improvement. However, in the past 15 years of so, has improved a lot. As said, they are owned by Taurus now.

Recoil from a .357 snubby, when firing .357 loads will be a bit snappy. Hogue or Pachmyr grips can help. Using .38 Special, especially lighter loads like Wadcutter or the 130 gr Winchester White Box for practice will knock recoil WAY back.

11. SWIll

SWIll New Member

I shoot 148 gr standard pressure wadcutters out of my .38 spl j-frame. Recoil is minimal. Heavier or plus p loads will kick more. Snubbies are great carry guns, but demand that you practice with them to maintain any type of accuracy or follow up ability.

12. danolator

danolator New Member

I have a Rossi 38 snubby that I purchased some 12+ years ago. It shoots very accurate. Getting tougher to get factory wad cutters around here. I refuse to do reloads so I am in the market for 500 rounds or so.

13. danolator

danolator New Member

According to the manufacturer, you should not shoot +P loads in a Rossi 38 Special.

14. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Off topic but curious. If taurus owns rossi why is it still called rossi?

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It's like another product line. Built by one under another name. Like armscor products if I am not mistake.

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Ok thanks.

17. danolator

danolator New Member

Rossi is a Brazilian gun company that was bought out by Taurus. My .38 was manufactured in Brazil. I don't know if Taurus keeps the brand there now or not.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Rossi makes a good gun, in revolver anyway. Look at it this way, Taurus had always been hit or miss. They bought Rossi, and suddenly Rossi had more market presence and Taurus quality improved.

I had a .357 snub. Great little gun. I'd still have it if I hadn't gotten desperate for money.

19. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I don't know if its true or not but I've heard taurus/rossi and s&w share technology...

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

If by "share" you mean that they designed their guns around the good looks of a Smith, sure.

They may even be using old Smith equipment, like sistema, the Brazilian 1911's in the way they used old auctioned off colt equipment and designs under license by colt.