Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got one and if so, how is it???

I haven't bought a gun since last November!!! Don't have any lever guns so this will be my first. Didn't want yet another caliber I have to buy plus I already have their RS22 and RB22 which have been very good so far:

White Wood Grey Air gun Shotgun

Wood Trigger Grey Air gun Gun barrel

They have some with wood stocks and some with polymer stocks. I ordered one of the polymer stocks this morning, has the same style sights as the RB and RS and from what I read the receiver is steel, not zamak. 15rnd tube fed:

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked it up yesterday, got it from RKGuns. I was going to run out to the range today but...I loaded 15rnds in the tube and cycled one home. I wanted to see if it would eject all 15 without any issues. 1st one wouldn't come out!!! OHNO!?!?!?

Unloaded it and watched a video or two. I ended up removing the receiver cover/housing (4 screws, nothing to it) and giving the receiver a good cleaning (I had only cleaned the bore once I got it home).

Put it back together and put 1rnd in the tube, worked fine. Put 5 down the tube, then 10, then 15 and all functioned as it should. There was some grit in the receiver, don't know what it was but it looked like granules of gunpowder. Anyway, cleaned it up and now it's ready to go to the range (maybe tomorrow):

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Floor

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Musical instrument Wood Electric blue Gun accessory Office supplies

Same sights as my RS22 and RB22, polymer but so far I've had no problems and the sight picture is fine as far as I'm concerned.

Only thing I'm leery of is the front plastic barrel band, if I can find a metal one it's getting replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll check (magnet test?), but right now I want to say it's zamak with a steel shroud over the receiver, which also works as the guide for the bolt. I read on another forum where someone said it was steel and the Henry was zamak, but the color of the metal tells me it's zamak. Nothing wrong with zamak if done right, but if impurities are introduced during the process you end up with zinc pest/rot.

More later.

I checked with a magnet and it doesn't stick, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say zamak. I also have their RS22 and RB22 and have shot the snot out of them without any problems. If it was more than a 22LR I may have concerns but with this I'm not going to worry.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OO, seems like I bought one other gun from them some time ago. They have stores here in VA, but are in the western part of the state. We have Tractor Supply around here.

Might go to the range today and take it for a test drive!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did go to the range, shot approx. 150rnds thru it.

I like it!!! Lever action is smooth, at least to me, being my 1st lever action (if I don't count the couple of toy rifles I had as a kid). Took me a while to adjust the sights so I was hitting the bullseye, but that was me and not the gun. Didn't know how many clicks it would take to move it 6" to the right at 50yds.

No malfunctions, green rear and orange/red front sights are easy to pick up. I was probably loading the 15rnd tube just as fast as a 15rnd magazine, but multiple preloaded magazines would definitely be faster if that was an issue. Being it's a plinker I don't see it being an issue. The polymer stock stayed cool throughout the time I was there.

Also shot my Bersa Thunder 22 on the 10yd range, approx. 150rnds thru it too without a problem, which is a first for that pistol. I was using Remington Thunderbolt ammo in both guns.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about the wood stock too, but I really liked the polymer look better.

I've been looking for aftermarket upgrades and accessories, but the only thing I could find were scopes. Only part I'd like to replace is that plastic barrel band on the front. I did see someone offering a leather wrap for the lever so you don't bang your hand up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts