Firearms Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Banned
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since my Magnum Research endeavor went south, I went another direction.

My favorable experience with my Taurus TX22 led me to check out the Rossi rimfires.

I ordered a couple of Rossi semi-auto rimfires. One in 22 wmr and one in 22 lr.

The 22 mag comes with a picatinny rail and a 10 round mag. Then I purchased has a tan stock. This rifle was $269 plus shipping on Gunbroker.

The 22 lr has a black stock, fiber optic sights and an 18 inch threaded barrel. 10 round mag for this also.

So, two Rossi rifles for about 1/2 the cost of the Mag Research.

OBTW, purchased and submitted the paperwork for a .22 second can last week.

Premium Member
When i was packing up all my ammo for our move, i found a box of 200 .22 wmr . I cannot remember the last .22wmr i had. No clue why is still have the ammo. Lol!
Maybe i will look at one of the Rossi's. I always really liked that round.

Premium Member
One of my favorite farm guns is a little Rossi .22 pump rifle. Looks/functions like the old Winchester 62 or 90. Been shooting it probably nearly 20 years with everything from shorts,longs, and long rifles. Ammo I find lying around in tackle boxes, garage floor, beneath seats in pickup truck feed reliably. Because it's a hammer, the occasional dud can get an extra lick or two then shucks out. Stock is some sorta dark-stained wood and the blue has held up well. Holds a handful of shorts but mixing others in is not problematic. Cost around $140 back then. Front sight sucks but kids and I love to shoot the little rifle.

Rossi's made some revolvers that, to me, look a bit crude as do some of their long guns but this one's ok for me.

Premium Member
One of my favorite farm guns is a little Rossi .22 pump rifle. Looks/functions like the old Winchester 62 or 90. Been shooting it probably nearly 20 years with everything from shorts,longs, and long rifles. Ammo I find lying around in tackle boxes, garage floor, beneath seats in pickup truck feed reliably. Because it's a hammer, the occasional dud can get an extra lick or two then shucks out. Stock is some sorta dark-stained wood and the blue has held up well. Holds a handful of shorts but mixing others in is not problematic. Cost around $140 back then. Front sight sucks but kids and I love to shoot the little rifle.

Rossi's made some revolvers that, to me, look a bit crude as do some of their long guns but this one's ok for me.
I do love that style. I have an old Rem model 12 .22 pump. Too old and abused over the last 100 years to be reliable, but i sure would lile to find something similar that is usable.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i was packing up all my ammo for our move, i found a box of 200 .22 wmr . I cannot remember the last .22wmr i had. No clue why is still have the ammo. Lol!
Maybe i will look at one of the Rossi's. I always really liked that round.
A 22 mag auto-shucker for under $300.

Premium Member
Nice! I threw a vortex venom mrds on my 10/22 takedown last year. Love it! So easy for the kids too.

Premium Member
Don't know if parts interchange with Winchester. Never compared side-by-side. Stock wood is some sort of darkly stained hardwood with a thick, perhaps poly-something finish. Whatever it is, it's hard to scratch,dent,chip. Blue has held up well and it has a decent trigger. Mine is the short-barrel, light weight enough for kids to hold properly and the exposed hammer allows you to see if the rifle is cocked. 100-year old design works for me.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Premium Member
A Rossi or a Henry?
Methinks Sheriffjohn has the out of production Rossi model 62, sold from 1970 to 1998. Methinks it ain't the current Rossi "gallery gun".

A beater Winchester model 62A sells for $500-750. A nice model 62A goes for $2,500 and up. i sold one unfired with box for $3,000.

There's an article in the June 2021 Shooting Times magazine on the rifle.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, last Sunday I had a half hour or so available post turkey hunt, so I stapled a target up and did a quick "on paper" / function check of my rifles.

Put 3 mags through the 22lr, 20 Blazer and 10 American Eagle, all functioned correctly and hit the 10 ring shooting free hand at 10 and 20 steps. I made no attempt to adjust the sights, which are fiber optic and fairly visible to my nearly 60 year old eyes. Put the red blur between the two green blurs and squeeze the trigger. ;)

The suppressor on the 22lr balanced well and made shooting without ear protection very pleasant.

On the 22wmr, I ran a single mag of CCI FMJ 40 grain. First two rounds were a bit low, as expected, but windage was great at 10 steps. So I backed up to 20 steps and sent the other eight rounds down range, elevation came up some. Keep in mind, all I did was clamp the red dot on and shoot.

Checked my phone and saw my wife had called and was waiting for me, so it was time to pack up.

Just need to get out with a table and sandbags and zero these little rifles. Appear to be great little rifles for the cost.

I did order a rail and a red dot from Shop Rossi dot com yesterday for the 22lr, so that is another project in the works.

Registered
I have the Rossi RS22 and the RB22:

The Mossberg 702 25rnd mag fits in the RS, but not in the RB, difference in trigger guard.

Really nice shooting rifles, great plinkers.

Banned
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The RB mags will work in the RS, but the bolt does not lock back on the empty mag.

Registered
I recently put the scope on the RB22, using this rail adapter, figured it would serve me better on the bolt action:

Registered
Since my Magnum Research endeavor went south, I went another direction.

My favorable experience with my Taurus TX22 led me to check out the Rossi rimfires.

I ordered a couple of Rossi semi-auto rimfires. One in 22 wmr and one in 22 lr.

The 22 mag comes with a picatinny rail and a 10 round mag. Then I purchased has a tan stock. This rifle was $269 plus shipping on Gunbroker.

The 22 lr has a black stock, fiber optic sights and an 18 inch threaded barrel. 10 round mag for this also.

So, two Rossi rifles for about 1/2 the cost of the Mag Research.

OBTW, purchased and submitted the paperwork for a .22 second can last week.

I bought a stainless Taurus model 72 carbine (.22mag version of model 62)
Only plastic on the gun is the butt plate.
It does have the importer safety on the bolt, i never mess with the safety and its a wonderfull tiny carbine.
Wicked accurate!馃憤馃徑馃憤馃徑

A coworker ordered a Taurus 63, that was a awesome looking rimfire.
It had some sharp edges ("cost cutting feature" save money by not cleaning up edges) coworker did some cleanup inside stoneing off sharp edges, about 300 rounds it finally broke in and stated acting like a Winchester 63.after break-in it reliably functioned with std & high velocity .22 LR's.
It wouldnt cycle hypervelocity.

I will mention something.
Taurus has a barrel crowning method figured out, those rimfires are more accurate than youd think.

Premium Member
I bought one of the Taurus 63 rifles if you could call it that. Worst piece of garbage I have ever bought. The inside looked like it had been machined with a dull cold chisel. It wouldn't even run minmags. It went back to the dealer and he sent it back to Taurus. One of the guns that soured me on Taurus but not the only one.

Registered
My model 72 has fly cutter marks on inside in places where a fine finish is not economical to machine, the 72 was a little rough in the break-in stage, she is slick now after many years of service.
No metal chisel marks on this carbine.
So far has been 100% even in subzero conditions of Arctic Northwest Alaska.
If it breaks you Will hear about it.
So far so good with this little Taurus Pump .22 Mag carbine.

20210610_184650.jpg
20210610_184833.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts