Rossi Revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jeffkaiser1989, Jan 22, 2014.

1. jeffkaiser1989

jeffkaiser1989 New Member

So i have been told by a few people about Rossi i was told they are cheap yet good revolvers. Any thoughts? im planning on getting another gun with my tax return but as im getting only 400 bucks back my options are limited so im exploring all options for a new carry gun/ home defense gun. any input is appreciated thanks guys

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The ones I've seen seemed pretty good.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Anyway..What's your desire for this Rossi? Is it a 357? Range toy or carry piece?

4. jeffkaiser1989

as i stated above carry/ home protection. and yea probably a .357

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've always heard they don't hold up as well with a steady diet of full house loads but I have no first hand knowledge of this being true.

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Sorry, I've been up a while and misread your full OP. Anyway I'd research all I could and explore any other options you might have. I picked up a used K frame S&W a couple years ago for all of 350.00. So there are deals to be had if you look long enough. THe Ruger GP100 is a fantastic 357 as well.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, so you are willing to put your life on the line with a cheap, but good revolver.

Rossi is now under Taurus, and the brand "Rossi" is not in the same category as Cadillac is for GM.

If you are "getting another gun", then get one that you will be proud to pass on to your heirs.

8. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

A Rossi made before taurus would be my choice in a Rossi.

9. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i had a friend who had a rossi 357 and it seemed like a good gun imo. shot well and was pretty accurate imo. the only prob he experienced was getting a decent value for it when he tried to sell it. the less expensive guns lose more value normally.

if that is what you really want, get it. a bit more gets you a ruger. if you want a bit more of a well known name in revolvers, you could start with the 400 and save a bit each month.

but if you want it NOW (trust me, i understand :D), it will likely be a good functional gun.

good luck gun shopping! :)

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I had a Rossi 462 snub nose in .357, I never had any issues with it. I have however of heard stories of the firing pin shearing off of the hammer and making the gun useless, and I have heard it multiple times through reading different sources. Now whether that is true or not I don't know, but what I do know is a Ruger sp101 snub in .357 is a comparable gun and only about $100 more in most places, so personally, if I buy another snub i'm gonna spend the little bit more and get what I know is tried and true and that I can have more peace of mind about.

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I've got one little snub-nosed probably 20 years old it's still great gun

EZ

12. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

This one Ive had for a few years, at one time it was my EDC.
    Never had a problem, and shot to POA.

I like it, but, it resides in the safe now,

[​IMG]

You should see the muzzle flzsh..:cool:

Jim

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Usually the only big issue with many budget firearms form the makers like Rossi, Taurus, Bersa etc. is the resale usually crap. That's not to say they are not good guns. They just don't resell well.

14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Hey, I'll happily pay those crap rates. I like good guns that are cheap. :D :p

15. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I had a Rossi 38 with a 4" barrel for a few years. Never had any issue and it's very accurate. good luck

16. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

exactly what i was trying to say, you just said it better! :p

the tried & true names will hold re-sale much better.

i recently sold a berretta after almost 10 years of ownership. i sold it for $150 less than i paid. what was that?....approximately 15 bucks a year to own it? :p

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

One of my newer fav carry guns is a Bersa UCP 45. The resale I'd probably take a bath but I didn't buy it for that. It feels good, shoots great. I couldn't ask for more. It fills a niche that I didn't have many to fill. I wanted something that I would not get so bent about if it got a little beat up when I"m out fishing. Thing is after carrying it around a little and shooting it a lot it just found itself in more places than out on the water.
    ...funny how things like that work out.;)

Moral of the story? Just because it's not a collector piece does not make it useless. And inexpensive does not always equate to cheap.:cool:

18. jeffkaiser1989

wanted to thank you guys for your input but the wife has put her foot down and if i buy a gun with my tax return shes gonna kick me out. so guess it will have to wait for now.....

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your return is large enough get a gun & a apartment ;)

20. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Yeah what he said^^^^^^^^

EZ