Rossi Revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by dblcrona, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dblcrona

dblcrona New Member

I am considering the purchase of a used Rossi .357 revolver. Can anyone tell me if these are good guns? I have never heard of them before. Thanks.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've not owned or shot one, a good friend I work with owns one and says that it surprised him in a good way. It's not a smith but he says it does a decent job.

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Buddy of mine had one and he liked it. Was a nice shooter but the barrel was too long for my taste.

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

One of my favorite guns is the Rossi 85104, which is the 38 spl. I have had it for years, and it is a great gun and very accurate. Rossi is an old brand and is now owned by Taurus, but don't hold that against them. If the gun you are looking at is tight, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

5. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Not a bad gun at all. Not up to the quality of a Smith, Ruger, or Colt, but an decently made pistol of a quality level of a Taurus. Wheather or not it's a good deal depends on the price.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I didn't like them once upon a time. However...

...a coupla decades ago they really stepped up their game including offering lifetime warranty and the quality was surprisingly good. If you think the price is good and the piece looks well made then it probably is and I would not hesitate. I carried one of their .357's and still rely on it for the lower 48 as a camping gun.

Attached Files:

7. indy36

indy36 New Member

I have this one. It does just fine.

image-222511845.jpg

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I had this gun,the Rossi 462.I ran about 500 .357 magnums and 200 .38 spl's through it before I traded it for another gun.It was a good gun,no problems.

Attached Files:

9. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

My first pistol was a rossi 877, I loved it and wish I still had it. Sold it to my cousin and going to buy it back someday

10. dblcrona

dblcrona New Member

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! Glad to hear so many positive reviews. The one I am looking at is shrome and has a 2" barrel and a full 3-finger rubber grip. They are asking $370 for it which I thought was decent. I wasn't able to get a good look at it because the gun counter was swamped with people. I am going in tomorrow night to check it out. I want is as a home defense weapon for my wife. With some .38 Special wad cutters it will be a good defensive gun for her that won't break her wrist. And it will be fun for me at the range with some hotter loads in it. We both win!

11. dblcrona

dblcrona New Member

What is with the ported barrel extension? I have never seen anything like this on a revolver before.

12. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to gun prices, and am sorta startled when I walk into a gun store and see what prices are now, but $370 for a Rossi seems a little high to me. You ought to be able to get a used Ruger or even a Smith if you're a little lucky.

However, you know what the prices are like in your area, but check around before you buy it.

13. Jerrysriggs

Jerrysriggs New Member

I have a 720 in 44spl. Wouldn't part with it for anything.

14. dblcrona

dblcrona New Member

Attached Files:

15. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have that same revolver, and it is made well. As I recall, they purchased some tooling from Smith & Wesson some years back, so some of their handguns have a Smith feel to them.

I have a Ruger 44 mag that I think is better made, but it needs to be as it is a mag.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Nice little gun.

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Attached Files:

19. danolator

danolator New Member

I have a pre-Taurus Rossi 38 special. Best revolver I own.

20. Jerrysriggs

Jerrysriggs New Member

Yes, Rossi and Taurus both were out source parts suppliers for S&W back in late 50's and early 60's. Then somewhere about 64 or 65 they acquired license to manufacture fire arms under their own brands.