Rossi Ranch Hand

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Old_Crow, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have never been a fan of Rossi firearms. But the Ranch Hand has got my interest. I always have 357 ammo on hand. No one I know owns one. Does anyone out there own one?

2. bayouBore

bayouBore New Member

I've never shot one or know anyone who has one, but I'm the same the always catch my eye and I really want one. If you not a Rossi guy, check out a Henry Mare's Leg. Same concept in a Henry flavor. I like the octagonal barrel better.

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had a Henry for awhile--Most useless firearm i've ever owned :eek:
    Yes- it looks cool-----

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just MHO, but I wouldn't have a Rossi or Charter as a gift.

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I would like to have a gun my niece can use for hunting. She isn't going to shoot a shotgun or climb a tree to be legal with a rifle. She might grow out of that if I can get her to shoot a round of skeet. She has no hesitation to pop a squirrel or a rabbit with a 22. She is just going to have to get her big girl pants on to go deer hunting.

6. bayouBore

bayouBore New Member

Man that sucks so bad. I love the look of Henry rifles. What kind of issues were you having?

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No issues with the gun at all- It's just useless --To big for a handgun (its classified as one tho) - To short for rifle range shots- Its basicly a exspensive cute toy, fun to shoot once in awhile but that wears out fast--
    And that stoopid John Wayne lever don't help none :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I like it! Does seem pointless, but who cares, it'd still be fun!!!

9. bayouBore

bayouBore New Member

I thought you meant it was problematic. I'm back on track I still want one! HAHA Gotta get new toys

10. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

It appears that 16" is the minimum that one can use for a sight plane. No matter how the stock is configured. I tried a charger today to see how the ranch hand might play out. It has a range of about 35 or 40 yards. I don't think the ranch hand will be much better. The charger had a wire stock to set it in that was more substantial than the Ranch hand.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  11. francisarsenic

francisarsenic New Member

I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in .45 Colt. I haven't fired it yet. One problem I have noticed, however, is the ramp/door where you feed in the cartridges. If you load in a cartridge (on mine), the base of the cartridge hangs up on the edge of the door. So if you cock the lever, the cartridge does not get loaded. I have to stick my finger into the door to dislodge the cartidge. Then it will load when cycled. Sorry if my terminology is wrong. I do like the gun otherwise. To me, this is not a real problem because I view the gun as a novelty/fun item.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

And that's exactly how one would have to approach this. Defensively speaking is has no tactical advantage. Rifle look with handgun range and caliber. So short range use a handgun would suit better for maneuverability and in long range a rifle would suit better. Even defense against animals up close I'd say a shotgun would be the more suitable firearm for fire power. If you were facing down a bear the handgun calibers are less likely to be of use than a slug. Though type of bear varies and black is much smaller than brown.

Still cool though, nothing can take that from it.