rossi 92 levergun opinions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JonM, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

anyone got any good bad indifferent opinions on the rossi 92??

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had an older one in 357 a long time ago. It was surprisingly accurate but the open sights just would not work for me anymore. I would have liked to install a peep but it was not drilled and I did not want to get it done. There was not a local gunsmith I trusted at the time. The rear sight slot was an odd size and I could not find a better sight that would fit. Basically a Winchester 92. Very light and a fun gun. I dont know if they are drilled now. I have had eye surgery since and would like a lever that I could put a peep on. I have an H&R single shot in 357 with a low power scope. It is just a nice to have a combination pistol and rifle round. You will pick up about 400 fps on mags in the rifle. on either the 357 or 44. I might have to take another look and I sure would not turn down a bargain on one.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

im looking at one for cas in 45colt stainless to match my revolvers. i havent found anything truly negative about em. im assuming i can tune the ejector a little to not pelt me in the face with spent brass since its a top eject.

i would prefer a side eject marlin but they arent offered in stainless in 45colt.

if your looking for a good solid lever gun to put a rear peep on, the marlin 1894/95's are just the ticket. other than that your looking at a rear tang sight which i dont think lend well to real accurate long range shooting since they block the top of the grip.

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I had a 357 Rossi years ago. Couldn't hit a barn from the inside. Tried bullet weights from 90 to 180. both 357 and 38, no luck. Sold it.
    Heard the newer ones are better but I won't try another.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Rossi tends to develop wear under the rear bolt bottom and the top of the hammer . This is of course is the during ejection and loading cycle.
    Results failure to secure positive hammer sear engagement. Not good!!:(

6. Mongo

Mongo Active Member Supporter

I have a friend with a Winchester 94, he mounted a scope with a side plate that attached to the left side of the rifle. maybe you could mount a peep sight with one of those?

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've no owned any of the Rossi lever guns but shot a couple. I'd like to get one in 357. The ones I tried did really well.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The best Mdl.92 is the Brownings. They can be found and they are pricey. Problem is they were never chambered in .45 Colt. :)

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had half a dozen or more over the years while i was into CAS-
    Not the fastest but can be slicked up ez-
    Never really had a problem with any that i can recall.
    Botton line dependable & accurate :)
    If you can find a pre-safety you have something----

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thanks. Im going to look for one and see how they handle. My first choice is still a marlin 1894 but after reseqrching a little last nite im considering a henry bigboy. Not sure i like that brass look though

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The Winchester and Marlin pistol caliber rifles are drilled for sights. I missed a buy on a Marlin at a gun show last year. I was setting up an FNRA table and did not get there quick enough. The Marlins are on the heavy side. The Henry might be the answer.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Never even shot the bigboy but dam they're ugly :(

13. doc007

doc007 New Member

Recently got a Rossi in 45-70. Have nothing bad to say about it. I looked the the marlin and Henry wanting to stay American. I hated the tube mag on the Henry and the marlins I handled had super rough actions. Many people like marlins but he Rossi felt better to me.

14. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I just picked one up in 357 a few weeks ago. I have yet to shoot it, but have cycled some dummy rounds through it. So far it seems good. Action is fairly smooth and wood fit and finish was pretty good.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't know if these could be made to fit, but they are cool. I would like to try a set.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I bought an EMF Hartford, made by Rossi in .44-40 a few years ago. Love the rifle. EMF did all the work fitting and polishing. Very slick action. My buddy has a Rossi in .45lc. Action is not as smooth, but it is not bad and pretty accurate. If EMF can do it, so can you!!!

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

i ended up doing some traveling about SE wisconsin to see some of the different new offerings out there and found one rossi a couple of winchesters some marlins of course and stumbled over an uberti 1873 in 45colt with 24inch octagon barrel. it was nib on the shelf but had a pretty bad ding on the forestock. after a little back and forth got some knocked off the price enough to bring it in line with the marlin cowboy 1894 octagon barrel model.

still learning to use the camera on my cell phone but i dont think i like it very much. i miss my old cheap canon.

[​IMG]

you can see the dent in the stock here. it doesnt matter toooo much to me since its likely going to get more dents as i use it.

[​IMG]

the reciever is case hardened.

[​IMG]

just with the action open from the top

[​IMG]

couldnt resist this gun. while im not a huge fan of the top eject stuff this one isnt pelting me right in the face its kinda flopping empties to the right and straight down. i think i can live with that.

sometimes it goes this way. you think you want something then you go and see it in person and while doing that you run across something else.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

From a 92 Rossi to a 73 Winny -- U dun GUD! :D

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Another CAR. Your gonna love it.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

i just made some dummy rounds for it to try the action. its a little sticky on a rare occasion but so was my marlin 1895 until i cycled a coupled hundred dummies through it.

im looking forward to cracking it open and having a go at its inner workings. but i need to do some research to be sure there arent any little tricks to detail stripping these things.