Firearms Talk banner

Roper shotgun shells needed

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Sniper03 
#1 ·
I am looking for a few 12 gauge shells for a Roper revolving shotgun. Any help would be appreciated. Daryl Hallquist darylh1942@gmail.com

#2 ·
Daryl- I wish you the best of luck- these are going to be like finding gold plated unicorn horns. Those are all steel with each shell casing having a nipple for a percussion cap, and go back to 1867. Attached video has some decent images of the gun and the shells. If you can find even one shell, a skilled machinist could made reproductions.

RIA: Roper Repeating Shotgun (forgottenweapons.com)

And if you have a Roper, how about some pictures of it?

#3 ·
You will probably have to have them made.

#4 ·
I have enjoyed the Rock Island video on the Roper. Yes , they are hard to come by. Here's my Roper. The receiver seems to be nickel plated and the wood a bit higher grade than some others I have seen. I'll cross my fingers that I can find a pattern. Then maybe I can load one and maybe get a grouse or pheasant this fall. Then dream about a chukar with a flintlock. Sorry, my pictures are not much.

#5 ·
Daryl,

Yes let's put it this way. The Rock Island Arsenal Museum in Illinois has one complete operable Roper Revolving Shotgun out of a very special estate. The curator advised they only have 5 shells with the Shotgun. So as C-3 Stated like finding any will be as rare as finding a Gold-Plated Unicorn Horn. And if you were to find some, better sell the farm to get them!
IMO If you had them made you would need the exact print specifications. And at this point in time, I would have no idea how one could come by them?
And it would cost a fortune to have copies made if possible?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.