Rookie Questions about handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by taihawk, Jun 20, 2011.

1. taihawk

taihawk New Member

Not a gun owner yet, but plan on being so. Recently moved to a new town, and don't have much for hobbies. One of the guys I work with runs the local gunclub and took me out to show it to me the other day. Was really impressed with it.

I have always been interested in learning to shoot, just never really did growing up. Now that I have a little extra spending cash, and no hobbies to speak of, was thinking that this would be a good hobbie to start up (not much to do in this town). So, I am looking to buy a handgun to start. My friend suggested I get a nice .22, since the ammo is cheap (so I could practice more), and he said the smaller gun would be better for me learning to shoot with proper technique, etc., and that purchasing a larger weapon should be something I do after perfecting the smaller, which makes sense to me.

Anyway....was wondering what you folks think? Any suggestions for what to get, habits for practicing, anything at all would be useful, as I am brand new to this whole thing and haven't even taken the first step toward a purchase yet. Thank you in advance

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

Welcome to the forum! When you get a chance, stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little more about yourself.

Starting with a .22 is a great idea. It's also wise to keep a .22 around after you pick up something larger. It's still good for cheap practice of fundamentals, and a whole lot of fun.

4. taihawk

taihawk New Member

Thanks for the input, that thread was exactly what I was looking for. And yes, will swing by the intro page and tell a bit about myself. Thank you all for the kind welcome

5. taihawk

taihawk New Member

My buddy is going to let me practice first with his .22 Ruger Slabside, he says that it has many advantages, and is just good enough to do "okay" with in a pistol league if that is something I intend to eventually get involved with.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I bought a used Ruger single-Six. It can interchange the cylinders between 22LR & 22WMR. It's a single action. Super simple. I can't shoot handguns for crap, but this one I can hit with. You should be able to pick one up used for about $300 + or so.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Sounds like god advice from a good friend, hit him up concerning what .22 to purchase. Seems like he's giving you the right info to get started.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Welcome to FTF.

I'd get a decent 22LR target pistol. There are many brands, all priced

similarly.

I wound up with an old Hi Standard and couldn't be happier. Lots of fun

for the whole family, inexpensive, and did I mention fun?

9. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

It looks like you already have gotten some good info already. Like the others have said buy a decent 22. Cant go wrong with a Ruger or a browning. If you have a bit more cash I would look for a Smith 41 or a High standard Victor.
    My 2 cents
    F.K.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You sir have a great friend.

After you buy a

Browning buckmark
    or
    Ruger MkIII
    or
    Smith & Wesson 21a
    or
    Beretta Neos
    and

5k of ammo.

You should buy him a nice ice cold frosty beer.

11. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

+1 I agree :)

12. taihawk

taihawk New Member

Already planning on that one fellas! I really do appreciate all of the input and advice guys, not a word is being taken lightly.

Applied for my permit today. They said I could stop back in and pick it up on Friday.
    :D

13. Dennis845

Dennis845 New Member

Your friend gave you excellent advice.