Romanian AK

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by plumbernater, Jun 1, 2012.

1. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

I would like to know what yalls thoughts on a romanian AK is, I can get one that has something wrong with it and the fella will sell it for what he has in parts. What should I do? Im pretty good with tinkering on guns and allways wanted a AK,

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It may depend on what exactly is wrong with it. AKs aren't exactly as easy to do some deep repairs onas ARs are. They are mostly riveted and friction pin fitted together.

The Romanian AKs are not the best example of the AK world, but they aren't as bad as a lot of people make them out to be either.

If it'sfairly simple work that needs to be done, and you can get it for a fairly low price, it wouldn't be a bad AK to get into.

The AK that I have hung onto is a mixed breed, with an Egyptian receiver, and a Chinese front trunion and barrel. It has been perfectly reliable, and tends to be a hair more accurate than many other AKs I've shot.

3. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

He has rebuilt the trigger group and no luck. I think this is an old AK military issue, that was cut and bought and rebuilt

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What is he selling it to you for?

5. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

I asked if he was tired of fooling with it and interested in selling it. he said for what he had in parts. Ive not messed with a AK before but Im pretty good at these things with guns and about everything else in the house and outside as well.

6. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Sorry. How much money is he selling it for?

7. SSGN_Doc

If he has messed with a modified military trigger group that some of the Romanian models came with then you may be in luck. You could try dropping in as Tapco G2 trigger, these are actually quite nice and eliminate trigger slap and usually have a decent pull, travel and let-off. If the holes in the receiver are improperly located, then you may have problems, no matter what fire control group you use.

8. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Good post.

9. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

Im going to look at it tommorow, is there anything I should look for as to what might be the problem and fixable. Any sound it might make to let me know.

10. SSGN_Doc

Ensure the weapon is unloaded and no mag is in the rifle. Take the dust cover off and cock the hammer. Engage the safety. Pull the trigger. Nothing should happen. Put the selector in the fire mode (all the way down). Pull the trigger. the hammer should fall. Keep the trigger to the rear. Cycle the action or cock thehammer back. The disconnector should engage the hamer and stop it from going forward. Let the disconnector hold the hammer. Release trigger. It should come forward and be caught by the sear. If the disconnector fails to catch the hammer, you have a problem. If the disconnector releases the hammer and the hammer continues all teh way forward you have a problem. Try a new fire control group and see if the gun will pass the tests. If not Krebs Custom does good AK work, but you'll wait and it may cost you a bit.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

We really can't help you until you give the selling price. You can buy a working WASR for around $400. I have a bad feeling about this "kit".

12. plumbernater

plumbernater New Member

$ 390 I think he gave 200 or so for the cut receiver gun. Then receiver and other parts ran him to 390. I looked at the gun today and the only thing its doing wrong now is failure to eject. It stove pipes and sometimes tries to push the spent round back into the chamber. could be a ejector problem of sort may be I dont know. Im wondering if the gas port in the barrel is open enough

13. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I wondering why anyone would want to pay that kind of money for what has been described when, like Quentin said you can get a factory WASR for around $400.

Im betting I know the outcome of this. Guess we'll see.

14. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I agree completely, for a used WASR that you know has issues, that price is WAY out of line. Say no thanks and hold on to your money.

15. FlukeLSX

FlukeLSX New Member

Good post:

I actually just got to shoot mine this weekend. First time ever shooting a gun at all lol. I did have my ex military buddy show me the proper way to handle them.

I think you will enjoy this particular AK. They are incredibly easy to disassemble with the right tools. Mine came with the Tapco G2 Trigger I believe. And if the receiver is messed as this post implies they are easy to find to replace and not all that expensive either.

But ya ear plugs are a necessity. When I went to shoot mine over the weekend didn't have ear plugs or anything as we went shooting at a friend's house who has a lot of land to work with. My buddy explained about using cigarette butts as ear plugs lol.... Yes it actually works. He said they would do this in the field in a crunch if they needed ear plugs. :)

These guns are a lot louder than people think who've never shot one before. My buddy explained the semi's are actually louder than the full autos. Not sure why. But they are quite a bit louder than a glock 22 I can tell you that much.

The recoil on these guns are barely even noticeable. I honestly couldn't even tell if it had a recoil. But, the muzzle raise is quite pronounced. Either way they are fun to shoot.

Bare in mind you can buy these Romanian M10's brand new for $600-$700. And they are made with all new parts. Keep that in mind when he starts talking about price.

I guess the difference would be as the OP stated it may have been an old military issue. So not sure how comparative it would be to mine.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012