Roman Aqueduct

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jagermeister, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

This is the remains of a Roman aqueduct that is about 15 minutes from my house. The Romans main crop in Germania was the grape. They loved their wine. There are vineyards around this ruin. 15 from here is the ruins of a Celtic civilization that predated the Romans and barbaric Germanic peoples.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      30.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  2. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

That's cool! Wish we had some ruins like that around here!

3. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Why does it have a date of 1872?

4. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Wow this is cool. Thanks for sharing. The Romans have always interested me, their engineering revolutionized civilization. And they were all built to last the test of time and war. 2000+ years, countless wars, 2 world wars, Napoleon, Hitler, the Communists, Mussolini, Kaisers, emperors, dictators, kings, invasions from the Russians, Turks, Muslims, French, Greeks, Prussians, barbarians, Anglo-American forces, and countless other tribes, and still they stand in the former grasp of the once great Roman Empire. Sorry for the lengthy reply, I just love this kind of stuff.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Notice that some of the ruin looks newer. Probably the year that some renovation was done to save the structure. Barbarians throughout Europe took the materials of Roman ruins during the Dark Ages to build their own structures. This aqueduct would have gone on for a long distance. This is all that is left. :( Plumbing technology was lost after the fall of the Roman Empire. It took a all time to rediscover. The same for most other technologies of the Roman civilization. Hence, the Dark Ages.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Here is a piece of a Celtic city wall. This is much older then the Roman ruin.

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      29.4 KB
      Views:
  7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Two Celtic graves. These two mounds are actually Celtic graves. Notice the out of place rocks. These are on the revier I hunt on. Yes, that is a hunter's seat on top of the grave.:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Thats pretty nice Jaeger. I wish I would have tried my hand at hunting 4 legged creatures when I was there.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

10. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I always wondered what those Barbarians, and even Romans, must have been thinking as they took those materials? Just imagine barbarians stripping something like that to make a primitive house or wall from the stones, and the questions they must of had about the people that came before them.

It's funny because two of my hobbies are metal detecting and bottle hunting. I get all excited when I find a good site over 100 years old. 200 years old and I'm like a kid at Christmas, but Europe ya'll have ruins just sitting around that are over 2000 years old! I guess it's all about perspective?

Thanks for the pics! :)