Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made up my first ever 10 .44 Special loads this evening. I have a roll crimping issue. In setting my crimp, I got my OAL set and then backed off the seater and lowered my die to set the crimp. On a couple cases I buckled the case about half way up.

I am loading 180 grain lead RNFP and putting the bullet to a seat where the top of the case is right at the top of the cannalure. Should I be leaving the bullet higher and crimping in the middle of the cannalure? I don't have to worry about the OAL in relation to the cylinder length. I hate ruining cases. I'll be test firing the first rounds I made in the morning.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I backed off the crimp a little after I bucked the two. The last 5 went ok but I just worry that I might not be putting enough crimp on. I don't have any pics in my reloading manuals.

· Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made up another 90 today. No problems now. I lengthened the OAL by .050" and that put the top of the case near the top of the cannalure. Much easier to put the roll crimp in.

I'm loading lead 180gr RNFT 7.8gr Accurate No. 5. Shot 10 of them this morning and I was a little disappointed with the recoil. They shot nicely but quite frankly my LC9 recoils heavier. I was all geared up for more recoil based on the way everybody talks about how the .44 recoils. I did shoot some 180gr Remington Magnums and that got more intense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.