Firearms Talk banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
uniting New Yorkers is as likely as herding cats.

You can't afford to live elsewhere? $400 a month, 400 foot driveway, back yard is a pellet gun range, 5 trees in the front yard, the only noise other than nature is a train a quarter mile away every two hours:

Find that in NYC.
You do know that there are large parcels of land all over the state, right? Not all of us lived in NYC, I myself over 400 miles away, almost in PA befpore moving here. Plenty of farms out there, and we had a big enough back yard to shoot skeet and trap there before my grandparents sold off half the land to a family friend. We were still hunting in our back yard in 2013 and 2014.

My driving in NYS story: Just got out of the Army. entered NYS at about 80 back when the law said 55. Passed a Ford F250 pulling a 1927 Packard dual cowl phaeton.

Stopped for gas

Passed a Ford F250 pulling a 1927 Packard dual cowl phaeton.

Stopped for gas

Passed a Ford F250 pulling a 1927 Packard dual cowl phaeton.

Stopped for gas

and realized that there must be warehouse full of 1927 Packard dual cowl phaetons moving west, or I was wasting any time gained driving 80 in gas stations, and I could get more haste with less waste by just driving 55.

Driving in NYS is MUCH different than living in NYS.
Not really.

Same taxes. Same restrictions. Same drivers from outside trying to flee. Same residents content with oppression wondering what's up with the couple from Ohio.

Only real difference is that those of us who don't live there have freedom to look forward to, in X number of miles. (seriously. I lived there 24 years and change, and it never felt like home to me after travelling out of the state.)

Microadventure. Sounds about right. had to drive from Erie to Pembroke NH last year to pick up a bike for a customer. Ran 70 MPH to 73 MPH on the 90 most of the way, left Erie at 23:30 hours, and finally crossed into VT at about 07:45 hours.

Swear I passed the same JB Hunt truck 3 times.

Not really.

Same taxes. Same restrictions. Same drivers from outside trying to flee. Same residents content with oppression wondering what's up with the couple from Ohio.

Only real difference is that those of us who don't live there have freedom to look forward to, in X number of miles. (seriously. I lived there 24 years and change, and it never felt like home to me after travelling out of the state.)

Microadventure. Sounds about right. had to drive from Erie to Pembroke NH last year to pick up a bike for a customer. Ran 70 MPH to 73 MPH on the 90 most of the way, left Erie at 23:30 hours, and finally crossed into VT at about 07:45 hours.

Swear I passed the same JB Hunt truck 3 times.
I`ve lived in NY for 60yrs, not much i dont know about it...lol

I`ve lived in NY for 60yrs, not much i dont know about it...lol
wow. And I thought 24 years there was too long.

Just got back home about an hour ago after making a run to the reservation for gas and smokes, and stopping in with the room mate to visit with my dad, and drop of his pup. Just gifted him a 6 week old fox red lab.

I used to enjoy leaving NY for the day, and dred coming back. Now it's the other way around. I dred the visit, but enjoy that feeling I get after passing exit 61 on I 90, as i know I'l less than a mile from having rights again.

And no, this is not meant to rub anyone's nose in the fact that I am out, and can leave any time I want. just to maybe give a few others whoi do want to get out the desire and drive to do so.

I honestly felt trapped, as each time I tried to get out, something pulled me back or kept me there. Mom's health when i was out in AZ looking for work, the ex wife when I was in CO on vacation, and taking interviews with a avionics company in CO Springs, My divorce while in the Carolinas and Florida, and a few other times when a chance came up, that I could not take due to obligations back in the Vampire State. then having to go on disability, and promising to help my uncles take care of my grandfather.

when he passed, I had opportunity, and the means finally presented it's self the following year. I had to cash in some investments, sell off some of my guns, sell off my snow machines, one of the bikes, and 2 of our cars to do it, but if that was what it took, i was more than willing to do it. Here's why in a nut shell.

I was born somewhere else, and had lived the first 15 years of my life, going where Uncle Sam ordered dad to go, so i knew for a fact that the grass is greener elsewhere. I also knew I could make it, no matter where I landed. We just happened to find a place about 50 miles from where "home" was that left both us and the room mates in a position to save up, and still be comfortable.

So, to all of my Brothers and Sisters in NY, if you can find a way to go, take that chance, and do it. there is no perfect place to live, but there are better ones.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.