Rohrbaugh R9s - jamming

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Jeffrey Bailey, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Jeffrey Bailey

Jeffrey Bailey New Member

Hello,

I am seeking some support on an issue I am experiencing with my R9s. short recap, I just bought it through Gunbroker, so it is used. The gun appears to be in excellent condition but I went out to shoot yesterday and while the first mag fired and ejected properly all subsequent magazines got stuck on the first shot. The shell was about half way ejected. I will admit I did not clean and oil the gun so that could be the issue but I've shot quite a few guns in my life and haven't experienced this issue. However, I grew up with rifles and shotguns so handguns are a bit new to me.
    I researched this gun before buying and I do understand it is particular about ammunition so maybe that is the cause. I did use a cheap federal 115GR but I also tried an ammo called "ammo incorporated" which were a more expensive type. Not to say that means better but usually a higher priced ammo is more quality, at least I would think.
    I also considered that maybe the recoil spring needs to be replaced... anyways just looking for feedback and suggestions. My next plan is to obviously oil it up and also buy some speer gold dot.
    Let me know if anyone has any experience resolving this issue.
    Thank you

Jeff

Attached Files:

• R9s.jpg
      R9s.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Can’t tell until after you thoroughly clean it. Small semi autos are a lot less forgiving than your average size guns. Consider an ultrasonic bath. I also recall from somewhere that Rohrbaugh used to require a new recoil spring every 200 rounds. If that’s correct, do it now.

PS looking ahead Remington may be helpful, since they took over Rohrbaugh and basically renamed it.

Jeffrey Bailey likes this.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

I've experienced this sort of "sticking" during cycling on more than a dozen different sidearms over the years, out of dozens owned and fired.

I'd check the following:

Cleanliness -- Everywhere, including around/under the extractor. The idea of an ultrasonic bath is useful, particularly if you're wholly unaware of its maintenance and cleaning history. A good deep scrub, ensuring there's no embedded crud or old/sticky residues anywhere, even deep within the crevices.

Lubrication -- Many guns despise running dry; many like it wet; most seem to be in between. I'm unfamiliar with this particular sidearm's "preferences" but you'll need to determine how it best runs and under what conditions.

Ammo -- As you point out, many sidearms can be finicky when it comes to ammunition. I've had CZ P-01 9mm pistols that much prefer slightly longer ammo than measurably shorter stuff. Likely won't know which ones work best until you get hundreds (even thousands) of rounds through it, of all types. Try several; document it; and stick with what works. ("Range" FMJ ammo, and defensive JHP.)

Springs -- Ensure you follow the manufacturer's basic recommendations for typical life of springs, both the recoil springs and the magazine springs. Myself, I'd go even more aggressive on the swapping schedule, while you're still getting comfortable with what works and doesn't. On the magazines, consider Wolff after-market springs (if they're made for your gun's magazines). High-quality, a bit higher strength, and work well in every single sidearm I've ever used them in. Can eliminate minor ammo feeding issues that turn out to be mag-spring related.

Not necessarily.

In the case of one particular brand of defensive ammo (DoubleTap), when they came into business they apparently new equipment ... and the quality really showed. Consistent construction; no errors in build; everything seated tightly; crisp and tight lips; consistent dimensional measurements; this, across a number of different calibers.

While, by comparison, I've had about a fourth of better-known "factory" ammo show, from time to time, little errors in fitting/sizing/quality. Generally doesn't cause issues, but some can (ie, fouled primer seating, rough case lips not seated tightly against the bullets, etc).

Good luck. And, definitely come back with updates if you get to the point the problem's improving or has been corrected. I'm sure everyone would benefit from knowing how it prefers to run, what changes or maintenance you did with the gun.

Jeffrey Bailey likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Bailey

Thank you, I will try some of these suggestions one at a time to see if I can pin down what the cause is.

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jeffery
    For our information look at the Slide (Bolt) Face has the gun been shot a lot or hardly at all?
    If it has not, I would say the gun was dry. So as you stated, clean and lubricate it good.
    I will share my story about my Khar P-380 when I first got it. A guy told me that Khar test fires a lot of their pistols before they are shipped out. He advised they need to be cleaned and properly lubricated prior to shooting the pistol. So just for a test I shot it right out of the Box. And what was worse, I tried to shoot Federal Hydra Shock Hollow Point Ammunition in my first test. The Pistol had some issues! So as recommended, I cleaned it and lubricated the slide and Frame's Slide contact points as recommended.
    But it had one other issue! It is ammunition sensitive using hollow point ammunition. It could not load it by simply racking the slide by hand. I had to Lock the Slide back and release it by the Slide Catch to get it to load the HP ammunition. But after proper cleaning and lubricating it with round number one in the chamber it ran flawlessly. So since I carry it frequently I am now Hornady Critical Defense now in all my personal defense carry pistols. The contour of the Bullet allows it to load easily and flawlessly in all of them. As mentioned the HPs had problems in my P-380.
    All this to say, clean and lubricate it properly and select the ammunition that the Pistol likes and of course for the purpose whether it be for Target Shooting, Training, or for Personal Defense!
    Keep us informed! Good Luck!

By the way did you go to the Introduction section yet?

G66enigma likes this.
  6. Jeffrey Bailey

So I stripped it and am in the process of cleaning it and as I thought the spring appears to need a change. New spring compared to old. I have no experience but just looking at the 2 seems to indicate a change is needed.

Attached Files:

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jeffery
    which is the new spring?

8. Jeffrey Bailey

9. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

A good chance that is it. And clean the gun regardless.

G66enigma likes this.