Roe Overpopulation

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Jagermeister, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I shot a roe buck standing, unsupported at a hundred meters today. He was running from whatever startled him. He is actually a good size buck, but does not have antlers showing. Maybe two years old. That is because when there is too much Roe in one Revier, their antlers do not grow. This one came from a neighboring revier. This is an important reason why hunting is necessary. Overpopulation is unhealthy for the animal kingdom. Roe also eat the tips of pine trees, which damages the forest. Too many Roe means unhealthy trees and dying forests. I have also included some pics of á local hunting butcher's meat locker. My harvest is the one in the front with a hook through it's mouth. The locker had Roe, Red Deer, boar and pheasant.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      31.8 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      30.8 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you shoot him with a canon? :p

What kind of bird is that?

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I thought roe was fish eggs. Lol
    Good shooting.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

The bird is a pheasant.

Yes, that is the entrance wound. I shot the buck with a .308 Win. round. I normally use 180 grain SP from S & B. We can not use lead ammo anymore, so I am buying reloaded ammo from my friend. He uses Barnes 130 grain X bullets. He has perfected his round for speed, accuracy and a flatter trajectory. Finally, a cartridge that can keep up with my skills. :p The round is awesome for large boar. The deer suffered no pain, it died before hitting the ground. The trauma from the bullet striking even broke one it's legs. I call it my perfect sniper round. ;)

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Great shot. I doubt I'd have the confidence (nads) to take that shot. Sounds like there definitely needs to be some thinning of the herd over there.

6. hq357

hq357 New Member

What are you gonna do with that deer?

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Somehow I don't think that your family will go hungry.

8. MisterMcCool

Really? :confused:

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

wait, no more lead? thats lame. i like my lead bullets, and lead shot. cheaper and more efficient. there is a minor anti-lead movement in some parts of the usa. i figure that the shot dead critter doesnt have to worry about getting sick from lead poisoning .

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Don't disregard the "minor" anti-lead movement here. It is heading your way.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

What you guys need to know is I have seen dogs bigger than those little Roe deer they have in Germany, most of them don`t go much over a hundred pounds................

12. MisterMcCool

Deer taste better. :p

13. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Nice shooting Jag. Here we call that a "button " buck. Food on the table is always a good thing.

14. AirCavBob

AirCavBob New Member

Good Blatt Schuss there. Wow, no more lead allowed in Germany? Man how times have changed. One poster asked what you're going to do with that Roe. I'm sure you have to buy it if you want to eat it.

15. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Waidmannsdank. Yes, I paid a hunters fee for the buck. I can keep any trophy, liver, kidneys, heart and lungs for free. I give the heart to my Beagle (except for boar) and leave the lungs for the forest predators. I keep the liver and kidneys for myself. A good meal.

16. LIBERTY2

LIBERTY2 New Member

I don't understand, you mean you can't keep what you kill? Why hunt? FRJ

17. WhelanLad

WhelanLad New Member

Good to hear your ontop of thing via culling.

Here in Australia the same thing is beginning to happen, more hinds esp need to be shot.

nice goin

wl

18. Shade

Shade New Member

Yeah, same question, I am confused you get to hunt it then have to pay for
    the meat on top of that? Or are you just referring to the butchering costs.
    I butcher my own deer so no cost except the vacuum seal bags, equipment
    which is already paid for and any seasonings, hog casings, curing salt, etc.

19. Shade

Shade New Member

Although there is no lead ban in IL or WI yet. I am a big fan of the
    Barnes bullets, great terminal ballistics.

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

That is Germany for you. You pay for the meat after you shoot the animal. Unless you have a hunting lease for the Revier. Then you pay nothing but the annual cost of the lease. The price is minimal since you are the hunter though. You can butcher your own animal or have a butcher do it for you.